Kpop/Jpop Music Station Thread

man, Sistar was so good.

their hits were great, but i think Duvet Covers was my favorite from them:

Agree. Imo they were like Blackpink before Blackpink that time, but doesn't have that edginess and they're more feminine and have more sex apppeal. Hyorin is a powerhouse singer. They just existed in an era were there's so many other Kpop girl groups who are more promoted like SNSD, Wondergirls, T-ara, Kara, and others.

Agree. Imo they were like Blackpink before Blackpink that time, but doesn't have that edginess and they're more feminine and have more sex apppeal. Hyorin is a powerhouse singer. They just existed in an era were there's so many other Kpop girl groups who are more promoted like SNSD, Wondergirls, T-ara, Kara, and others.
yeah, i think their sexy and like... sporty or healthy concept suited them so well and feels like it was pretty unique.

and just for some K-Indie, just came across this indie rock from Soony Cosmos:

never heard of them before, but i liked this a lot. sounds like Alvvays which is a very good thing.

looks like this might be from their debut album:

e0539d4a525178bf2c8299de21b20e8a0441b3bf_hq.gif

missed this when it was released, but Cignature came back with Boyfriend:

this stripped back and retro beat is great, and builds really nicely. very unique-sounding release, and for me this is their best. i've had a soft spot for them since they were Good Day and put out some good dance practice videos (like this and this) and they showed up in the survival program The Unit.

Time to pick a best of 2021.

There were a few strong contenders, but I'm going with Everglow's First:

Everglow's concept is a tough one to pull off, and it can often feel really cringy and unnatural but I think they've been one of the most successful girl groups at it. I think they really perfected that concept with First. It's a really cinematic-sounding track with a great beat. The MV is also fantastic with amazing camera work (specifically the tracking of Aisha's face starting at around 47 seconds in always impresses me) and aggressive choreo that fits the song perfectly. Every member makes the most out of their time in front of the camera in the MV, but while Onda can sometimes get left behind in Everglow's releases but she stands out here in the MV for me any time she's in the center and especially with her dance break at the end of the video.

Other strong contenders were Weeekly's After School and of course Dreamcatcher with songs like BEcause, Whistle, and upbeat J-rockish New Days. My favorite TWICE track of the year is also probably surprisingly their Japanese release Good at Love. I'll also throw in fromis_9's Talk and Talk and from just two posts up Cignature's Boyfriend.

For the best solo release of the year I'd go with YOUHA's Abittipsy as a song that really succeeds with a well-worn retro sound. The usual suspects Sunmi, BIBI, and Hwasa had great solo tracks but I was also impressed with (G)I-dle Yuqi's anthemic Bonnie & Clyde. SNSD's Hyoyeon had a great release with Second featuring BIBI.

Back