Koral Gi size...

bjornvil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here... This should technically be in the G&E forum, but you guys are always ready to chime in and help so I thought I would get better feedback here :)

I'm looking into a Koral Light or Koral Classic. I'm 5'9 about 170 lbs, which puts me in an A2 according to Koral's sizing chart. I'm just wondering if that's definitely what I should get.

Anybody here of my size which has a Koral gi?

I like a slim cut, I would hate it if the gi would be too baggy.

I have a Fuji Victory A3 which shrunk like crazy and is now like it was tailored for me, although the skirt and sleeves are a tad short.

Also, any comments on whether I should get the Light or the Classic? I want a black gi.

I don't like gis which are too light... e.g. the Vulkan light which feels like a rough Karategi and is super easy to hold on to.

Thanks for your help!

I would go with an A2. I am 5'8" 155 lbs and use an A1 which is a good fit. That said I wear out the pants pretty quickly. I prefer the jacket of the Lite but the pants are not the most durable. No reinforced stitching in the knees but they are so with the Classic. I would go with the Classic and think you'll be pretty happy. The jackets are plenty durable. My Classic is almost 3 years old and still in very good shape.

I hope I got my sizing right. I just ordered an a2 koral light from Kinji San. Person there told me a2 is my size but I see a lot of people around my weight and height going with the a1. I have a padilla and sons light in a2 and a gameness pearl in a2. They fit me perfect. Do the korals tend to be baggy at all? I am 5'8" 150lbs.

I'm 5'9" about 165. Koral A2 is the only size that fits me well. Any other A2 will shrink too much in the arms and end up fitting too tight and being really short in the arms. I love the Koral.

The A3 size in most brands of gi fits the length of my arms, but otherwise is entirely too baggy.

Go with Koral with your build, especially if you've had trouble with arm length in other A2 gis.

A2 is the right size. I'd recommend the MKM (best gi I've ever owned), it fits a little longer in the sleeves and pants and doesn't shrink much at all, so it's great for skinny folks. But if your choice is between light and classic, go classic. Light gis stretch, allow others to grip you easier, lose color, and IMO don't look as good.

In comparison to your Fuji gi you should get usually 1 size down as Fuji gis are not pre-shrunk. Koral gis are so they won't shrink all to much. The light weight is a very nice gi but like others have stated it does stretch out due to the material.

I believe OTM is coming out with a ripstop gi similar to the koral gis at a lower price point. I saw it in a newsletter a little while ago. I personally just tried some of their new gis and I like it a bit better than my koral since it is nearly the same except it has a few features that are nicer like an ID pocket with velcro, drawstring for the pants and they are cheaper.

Its a slim cut gi that's not baggy at all. I'm 6'0'', 168-172 depending on what day of the week it is, and the A2 fits me perfectly.

I too would go with the MKM. Koral is the best gi I've owned as well, I love the fit/feel of it.

Thanks guys! I guess I'll be fine with the A2 then.

And yeah, you've totally put me off the Koral Lite, I guess it's the Classic then.

I would love the MKM, but the price is just a bit steep, it's not a big difference from the classic, but still, with the exchange rate of my currency, shipping and taxes, we're talking a serious investment here :)

Hillary, or whoever might know this... what is the difference between the Classic and the MKM? Is it definitely worth the price difference?

Thanks!

I have a Koral MKM Comp. I am 5'10 and 160lb and I wear an A2. It is by far the best fitting Gi I have. I have washed it probably a dozen times by now and always hang dry it. I have experienced no shrinking.

TTT, anybody know the difference between a Koral Classic and MKM, apart from the patches? :)

Its a slim cut gi that's not baggy at all. I'm 6'0'', 168-172 depending on what day of the week it is, and the A2 fits me perfectly.

I too would go with the MKM. Koral is the best gi I've owned as well, I love the fit/feel of it.

I'm about an inch taller, you think A2 would fit me?

Hey guys

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here... This should technically be in the G&E forum, but you guys are always ready to chime in and help so I thought I would get better feedback here :)

I'm looking into a Koral Light or Koral Classic. I'm 5'9 about 170 lbs, which puts me in an A2 according to Koral's sizing chart. I'm just wondering if that's definitely what I should get.

Anybody here of my size which has a Koral gi?

I like a slim cut, I would hate it if the gi would be too baggy.

I have a Fuji Victory A3 which shrunk like crazy and is now like it was tailored for me, although the skirt and sleeves are a tad short.

Also, any comments on whether I should get the Light or the Classic? I want a black gi.

I don't like gis which are too light... e.g. the Vulkan light which feels like a rough Karategi and is super easy to hold on to.

Thanks for your help!
I am the (near) exact same size as you (5'9 3/4' and 170-174 pounds) and I have the Koral Classic AND the Koral MKM Both in A2 and they fit perfectly.

I am looking at a Koral classic(they say its the same as MKM except it hasn't got the patches) but I am 5'8" and am 80kg (bit tubby)
I have a size 4 Century pro grappler gi and find it slightly short in the arms and in the wrap around

I think I am an A2 as I am in the height range but am near the top of the weight range
obviously given some solid training I should hopefully lose some pork ASAP

TTT, anybody know the difference between a Koral Classic and MKM, apart from the patches? :)

LOL, you're talking to the Koral sponsored athlete (and, for the record, I don't push their gis because of that, I was wearing them long before the sponsorship). The MKM is slightly lighter (my A1 weighs 1.2 kg, 2.6 lbs), slimmer fitting, about 1/3 to 1/2 size longer in the sleeves/pants (I wear A2 classic, A1 MKM), and in general made out of a tougher fabric.

Only downside is the excessive patches. But those are easily removed by a seam ripper.

LOL, you're talking to the Koral sponsored athlete (and, for the record, I don't push their gis because of that, I was wearing them long before the sponsorship). The MKM is slightly lighter (my A1 weighs 1.2 kg, 2.6 lbs), slimmer fitting, about 1/3 to 1/2 size longer in the sleeves/pants (I wear A2 classic, A1 MKM), and in general made out of a tougher fabric.

Only downside is the excessive patches. But those are easily removed by a seam ripper.

do you think an a4 or a3 MKM for a 6'4 220 guy -- long limbs

Thanks Hillary!!!

Damn! That just made my decision a lot harder as I quite like everything you mentioned regarding the MKM...

I'm about an inch taller, you think A2 would fit me?

Yes, it would if you're 6'1, 168-172. I think an A3 would be too big for you as it would be too baggy as its designed for peeps 190lbs-220lbs. My pants go to just a little bit above my ankles. Just a note however, I have never put my koral gis into the dryer. Always air dried. I didn't want to have something that had a substantial cost attached to it to shrink, although I've heard that they don't. I just don't want to risk it.

Yes, it would if you're 6'1, 168-172. I think an A3 would be too big for you as it would be too baggy as its designed for peeps 190lbs-220lbs. My pants go to just a little bit above my ankles. Just a note however, I have never put my koral gis into the dryer. Always air dried. I didn't want to have something that had a substantial cost attached to it to shrink, although I've heard that they don't. I just don't want to risk it.

Thanks. From Hillary's post, I think A3 would be massive on me. Cavaca wears it, and he's a big dude.

I have team mates with Korals and they dry them, no shrinkage (lol George Costanza).

I think I may get an MKM, but only if the patches look easy to remove.

I'm exactly your size (5'9", 170-175) and own all three flavors of Koral in A2: Classic, Light, MKM (the newest one).

Out of all of these, the MKM is my favorite. The Classic is VERY close behind. The Light I like the least.

MKM is just a little bit longer than the Classic, I've definitely noticed that. I think the reason why I like it, though, is that it's blue (the other two I have are white). There is something about colored gis (perhaps the dye they use) that makes the material feel softer; the bleaching process for the white ones must have some sort of fiber stiffening effect. This, however, is mostly negated when I wash using fabric softener.

I've also noticed that the collar in my MKM is a little more pliable than than the collar in either my Classic or Light. I prefer the slightly more pliable collar, sometimes the other ones can feel a little too stiff.

The Classic has the best fit for me. The MKM also fits well, it's just a tad bit too long in the sleeves (longer than I'd like). I also appreciate fewer patches, as I don't really need KORAL COMPETITION HIGH TECH BJJ GI written all over my body.

The Light is good for light rolling/training, but if I sweat a lot (and I sweat.. a LOT) the thing stretches like Van Damme doing the splits. The pants are definitely not as durable as there is no double layer/reinforced padding around the knees, but I think that is on purpose for weight. It is a pain when I'm in someone's spider or open guard and they have a good sleeve grip; sometimes it is hard to break the grips because the sleeves just stretch. Annoying. Fit-wise it is very similar to the Classic.

If budget is an issue I would definitely go with Classic... great, durable, well-fitting gi. But try getting it in a color (looks like you want black) so you get a slightly softer feel (or use fabric softener).

Hope this helps.

Back