knight vs samurai.

here one for the pros.

how exactly did a soldier/warrior that hailed from an isolated culture become to be viewed as some kind of ass kicking machine that would dominate everyone on the battle field and why do so many non japanese defend their honour ?

The argument comes down to the the difference between iron and steel.

these guys are vaguely equal in their conclusion imho ie they wont weigh in on their own thoughts but will remain inconclusive as to not offend their viewers.

its not just steel vs iron as the katana was primarily a cutting weapon. if you cant cut your through a knight how could a samurai even stand a chance.

his spear or yumi ? no way mang.

Last edited:
Well that katana looks ceremonial. No way that would actually be used.

And they literally measured skeletons of Vikings, so I don't know how much more accurate you can get than that.

it could be possible that they were just short vikings and the larger ones were actually from frisia.

the knights helmet looks far cooler than the japanese helmet. for starters i doubt they wore horns although the shoulders guards give a certain flair that knights lacked. also a knight dressed in full plate looks far more cooler than this lacquered wood fairy.

actually that samurai should be holding a spear and not two katanas. infact im beginning to wonder just how effective a samurai actually was. lets be historical here the katana and its dominace was due to the disarming of the populance.

I guess it's personal taste. The English helmet looks plain jane and bland to me. Zero character. The entire Japanese get up looks like something out of a comic book. I could only imagine how that looked to people back then. Perhaps that was a part of the tactic....the psychological effect of seeing something like that coming at you would perhaps seem other wordly.

I guess it's personal taste. The English helmet looks plain jane and bland to me. Zero character. The entire Japanese get up looks like something out of a comic book. I could only imagine how that looked to people back then. Perhaps that was a part of the tactic....the psychological effect of seeing something like that coming at you would perhaps seem other wordly.

thats the problem though, the get up has been popularised in comic books is it a true representation of what they actually looked like during that time period ? that knight could be from the 1100s, how does the samurai look during that time, was he even using a katana or was he riding a horse shooting arrows.

i juse dont see whats so special about the samurai in comparison to their contempories. did the chinese and koreans fear them, did they consider them better soldiers, were their weapons superior etc etc.

thats why a knight would crush this isolated warrior, samurai didnt fight anyone other than themselves.

thats the problem though, the get up has been popularised in comic books is it a true representation of what they actually looked like during that time period ? that knight could be from the 1100s, how does the samurai look during that time, was he even using a katana or was he riding a horse shooting arrows.

i juse dont see whats so special about the samurai in comparison to their contempories. did the chinese and koreans fear them, did they consider them better soldiers, were their weapons superior etc etc.

thats why a knight would crush this isolated warrior, samurai didnt fight anyone other than themselves.

Well I'm sure a knight would win a fight, but we are judging appearance here. Knights have also been pumped up in movies and media, as have Spartans, Centurions, etc. Unless we actually pit an army of Knights vs. An army of Samurais, nobody could definitively say who would win or how badly. We can only assume.

Scot's won skirmishes and battles against more well equipped and trained English back in the middle ages. Shit happens in battles...some forces are simply more strategic and hungrier than others. In the heat of battle, strategy, heart and cunning went a long way.

The Samurai fought the mongols, Koreans and the the Chinese. In fact one might say they faired better against the Mongols than most other cultures.

In 1100 they would have been horseback archers and carried tachi swords as a side arm. How the knights would have faired against that could largely depend on the battlefield. Maybe you don’t know this but horseback archers faired pretty god damn well in that period and Samurai were in fact very good at this.

Last edited:
286f25b838f662f02ddcf6d31b0379c7.jpg

the knights helmet looks far cooler than the japanese helmet.

<{clintugh}> <Varys01>
There're way cooler knight helmets but this one in particular is goofy AF... It's like Bucket Head but dumber.

Horse and bow not so effective storming bastions nor at defending against ambushes in the hills and forests of Transylvania, which is why the second invasion failed. In the sweeping plains of the steppe the horse archer cannot be matched without firearms, armoured wagons and cannons but the forests and castles of Europe was a different story.
The Mongols were actually very good at besieging fortifications and leveling them. The real reason they reached their limit in Europe is more complicated than just a question of tactics. By then their Empire was overstretched and plagued with political intrigue. Their also simply weren’t enough Mongols go around at that point either and their armies were mongol minorities.

Well I'm sure a knight would win a fight, but we are judging appearance here. Knights have also been pumped up in movies and media, as have Spartans, Centurions, etc.

I'm not some american that hate anime/manga, but LMAO at WESTERN warriors being the ones overhyped by media
{<jordan}

The Samurai fought the mongols, Koreans and the the Chinese. In fact one might say they faired better against the Mongols than most other cultures.

In 1100 they would have been horseback archers and carried tachi swords as a side arm. How the knights would have faired against that could largely depend on the battlefield. Maybe you don’t know this but horseback archers faired pretty god damn well in that period and Samurai were in fact very good at this.

most of those soldiers were chinese and koreans i have doubts about how many mongols actually were on those ships.

and what do the koreans and chinese have too say about the samurai ?

most of those soldiers were chinese and koreans i have doubts about how many mongols actually were on those ships.

and what do the koreans and chinese have too say about the samurai ?
You have doubts about how many Mongols were there because it doesn’t fit your hate narrative? :p Are you even aware that a Samurai army cut through Korea around 1600?

I don’t really know what you’re looking for. Yeah there are some stupid flowery portrayals of Samurais in media. If you’re trying to prove that they weren’t great warriors though you’re wrong

A samurai wouldn't swing his katana onto the knight's heavy armor. The knight's armor would be too heavy and it would cost him too much in mobility. The clever and skilled samurai would eventually use jiu jitsu to ground the kight and then slit his throat after taking off his helmet. easy win for the samurai. Jiu jitsu didn't last around this long without good reason. Knights knew wrestling? lol. if it was so good , where is it today?

Both sides had some spectacular helmets. If you were rich, your helmet wasn’t going to be boring. It’s the poor samurai and knights who had the bland ones.
The samurai armor does look really cool and terrifying. But knights have some good stuff too.
4FB52F5B-6CFB-432B-9DCB-A70C2381BD52.jpeg CADA186F-3B69-4501-BDCD-F29649EEE300.jpeg 3E800911-CE96-4BA7-BD9C-BD310E9670A0.jpeg 10492E16-15F6-4209-8D4D-CD25662F2433.jpeg 30A9AC55-0233-4E0A-8467-33AF1B21F2CF.jpeg F24C0F5D-300E-418A-B3F7-9FB2BB7F7D7D.jpeg

A samurai wouldn't swing his katana onto the knight's heavy armor. The knight's armor would be too heavy and it would cost him too much in mobility. The clever and skilled samurai eventually use jiu jitsu to ground the kight and then slit his throat after taking off his helmet. easy win for the samurai. Jiu jitsu didn't last around this long without good reason. Knights knew wrestling? lol. if it was so good , where is it today?
knights did use wrestling. Today it’s called... wait for it... wrestling.

Knight armor isn’t that immobilized or heavy. Probably close to the same weight and mobility as the samurai armor. Close at least. Yes, a samurai who was smart wouldn’t swing a katana at steel armor, likely the knight and the samurai both fully armored would have the same gameplay if they came using swords, the knight may utilize halfswording to get through the gaps in the samurai armor while the samurai likely tried using his tanto. If the samurai came with a war hammer or some other variant of armor piercing weapons, the samurai would probably be screwed unless he was significantly more skilled than the knight.

samurai by armbar! or actually, armor bar. the knight would only have an advantage in size since white people are naturally bigger but even then it wouldn't have been 2 much of an advantage since everybody was small back in the day.

where the hell did the belief come from that samurai are the quintisential warrior ?

a knight would absolutely murk a samurai. a knight in full plate armour could walk through katana strikes. hell even the katana was folded so many times because the ore in japan was of particually bad quality.

portuguese knights fought japanese samurai a few times and won. samurais were also known to fully adopt plate armour if they could get it from the portuguese.

Agreed

It's still perplexing how many people think there were armies outfitted with full Plate armor. It was like owning a corvette back then. Only a few people had it.

Samurai in one on one combat with a knight is a strange scenario to begin with. What if it's a castle corridor with exits and they have to chase the samurai around, while overheating and tiring?

And it's not like they didn't use kanabo. Knights fighting other knights used equivalent maces instead of swords

On a whole, armies evolve based on what they have to innovate and who they faced. These armies never did face off. If Japan for some reason sent ships and invaded Europe, they would get murked in early encounters and then go home to report and adjust weapons and tactics.

Japan went from having few firearms and being still stuck in medieval times to industrialized educated world power society in pretty record time, so underestimating their ability to adapt and their discipline is strange.

A Knight didn't equal plate armor. You needed money to buy that shit. There were plenty of poor knights as there were poor samurai. Unless they were the knights of Sherdog, who all had gold plated armor, 6'6, banged 10/10 wenches, and wielded claymores (as big as their dicks), which they didn't even need since they could just fill the battlefield with uppercuts.

What movie is this?

What movie is that?
Season of the witch - I quite enjoyed it actually.

What I wanna see is a knight fighting with a katana.

<mma4>