Knife control - Ikea Stockholm bans the sale of kitchen knives

I didn't read that but why would you tell someone they are being deported later that day and then let them go free?

When illegals get court dates in the US, 90% of them don't show. So if you told them instead, show up for your deportation, . . .

Sorry, wasn't the day of the attack. The day before.

Hmm. Kelly got it from "barenakedislam" and all the other sites reporting a beheading seem to run along similar lines...

Version I read was that he'd been to see an immigration agent earlier in the day and been told he was being deported (to Italy?).
So... apparently he lost it and stabbed two random people at Ikea then stabbed himself.
I haven't found any info on how the other Eritrean was involved exactly.

also LOL at deporting him to Italy, can't he travel throughout the EU anyways if he's a legal resident there?

Maybe one day he can return to that same Ikea and pay for the knife he used.

"I'd like to pay for a knife"

"Sir we stopped selling knives"

"I'd like to pay for the one I used right before you stopped selling them"

Also it looks like that photo from outside the store is fueling speculation that she may have been beheaded. (her neck looks kind of thin)

Italy...? :icon_lol:

Joaquin-Phoenix_OMG.gif

So this is your second contribution to this thread, the first is that the knife was being sold in that same Ikea (which police, at least initially, refused to confirm)

Not close? What is the real percentage then

Other policiticians have said 90% as well.

Here's a quote from last month

"Now that we see that 85 percent of the people who were not detained before their immigration hearings do not show up for these hearings, that illustrates the need for detention," Vaughan said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-surge-didnt-show-up-for-court-date-records/

So this is your second contribution to this thread, the first is that the knife was being sold in that same Ikea (which police, at least initially, refused to confirm)

Not close? What is the real percentage then

Other policiticians have said 90% as well.

Here's a quote from last month

"Now that we see that 85 percent of the people who were not detained before their immigration hearings do not show up for these hearings, that illustrates the need for detention," Vaughan said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-surge-didnt-show-up-for-court-date-records/

I will quote the relevant piece from the article, since reading is apparently really tough for you.

The report used figures from the Executive Office for Immigration Review, which is tasked by the Justice Department with handling immigration court proceedings, appellate reviews and administrative hearings. Between 2003 and 2012, the percentage of all immigrants who failed to appear in court after being released has bounced between 20 percent and 40 percent, settling in at about 30 percent at the end of that time span. (No data for children specifically is available from this long-running data set.)

Interestingly, your article sites the exact same source. I would love to see the data they have, but Fox News does not provide links to its sources.

I will quote the relevant piece from the article, since reading is apparently really tough for you.

Interestingly, your article sites the exact same source. I would love to see the data they have, but Fox News does not provide links to its sources.

Well your link doesn't work either.

and the Fox story mentions the difference between people detained and not detained.

So if your story is mixing the two, isn't that pretty foolish? It's like saying people in prison show up to court dates, it's not up to them.

My quote on the 85% (article says it's 84%) says it applies to people who were freed in the US.

This guy in Sweden was obviously free and this discussion (you pouncing on some side issue) is kind of silly.

Illegals sneak in but then they go to court? I would say only when they think they have a good case for being declared a refugee (as every immigrant who just shows up now wants to be)

Honestly he just sounds insane.

These stories about how 'immigrant does X bad' always need to be counterbalanced with the fact that people in the host country do bad things too. Unless the immigrant population does X bad at a *significantly higher rate*, it strikes me as unfair to gripe about it. By definition, if you take in more people, some of them are going to be insane, some are going to be assholes, just like all people.

Perhaps these Eritreans were attempting some Islamic State terrorism beheading, in which case then it does have a political angle, but from the story as reported, it's unclear whether there is such a terrorist element. Admittedly, the reporting gives me little confidence that they are attempting to be forthright on that front ... they seem to be committed to pushing the 'nothing to see here' angle, as opposed to the 'reporting the truth' approach.

Your take seems pretty balanced, but that last bit about the media hits it right on the head. Ironically, I think it makes things worse, because folks aren't stupid and begin to factor the bias into what they hear. It makes it very easy to assume the worst, instead of the real possibility that this lady had a severe mental illness of some sort.

Also you know your story (and mine) talked about the surge of kids crossing the US border last year.

They didn't sneak in, they walked across and said they are fleeing gang violence and (according to a UN report) they qualify as refugees

You realize that that is different than someone picked up here, determined to be an illegal and given a court date, right?

That 90% stat used by politicians probably does fit when people aren't let in and even flown some place in the country while their asylum claim is being considered.

These stories about how 'immigrant does X bad' always need to be counterbalanced with the fact that people in the host country do bad things too. Unless the immigrant population does X bad at a *significantly higher rate*, it strikes me as unfair to gripe about it.

I agree with you for the most part, except for this line. Crimes involving immigrants being the perpetrator should be significantly lower than the native population because you can pick and choose who you let into the country. If the crime rates of immigrants is the same as the native population, you're doing something wrong

I agree with you for the most part, except for this line. Crimes involving immigrants being the perpetrator should be significantly lower than the native population because you can pick and choose who you let into the country. If the crime rates of immigrants is the same as the native population, you're doing something wrong

All immigration isn't based on elitisism. There are more things involved usually, like a humanitarian side.

You can't really preach equality and non-discrimination while you are discriminating.

In the end it doesn't really matter though since politicians will invite anyone for humanitarian reasons while none of them can be their neighbours.

Same thing with warmongerers. We should invade, but my kids shouldn't go fight... naturally.

To me this double standard has always been insane and I scratch my head thinking why people don't lose trust and call bullshit en masse.

I'll chalk it up in a positive way that I'm ahead of my time and people will gradually start to grasps entire concepts instead of details.

Honestly he just sounds insane.

These stories about how 'immigrant does X bad' always need to be counterbalanced with the fact that people in the host country do bad things too. Unless the immigrant population does X bad at a *significantly higher rate*, it strikes me as unfair to gripe about it. By definition, if you take in more people, some of them are going to be insane, some are going to be assholes, just like all people.

Perhaps these Eritreans were attempting some Islamic State terrorism beheading, in which case then it does have a political angle, but from the story as reported, it's unclear whether there is such a terrorist element. Admittedly, the reporting gives me little confidence that they are attempting to be forthright on that front ... they seem to be committed to pushing the 'nothing to see here' angle, as opposed to the 'reporting the truth' approach.

What a masterful example of tip toeing around the truth. Just beautiful.

gosling_clap-314x314.gif

So he stabbed others and then stabbed himself because he was being deported to Italy? Sounds like either he was a psycho or Italy is a hellhole.

Sure. Thry are a large company, and I would imagine the store is looking into how tI prevent someone from doing this in the future, and implementing those decisions. Might take a week, I doubt they are in a rush.

Sure. Thry are a large company, and I would imagine the store is looking into how tI prevent someone from doing this in the future, and implementing those decisions. Might take a week, I doubt they are in a rush.

Sounds like a knee-jerk emotional reaction to me. I don't see where reason enters into it.

Sounds like a knee-jerk emotional reaction to me. I don't see where reason enters into it.

You don't see any reason for a store to consider locking up their knives the day after someone is stabbed with one? Not even to just consider it?

Back