Knee pain workout question.

AbdominalSnoman

Old
@Blue
Reaction score
My left knee is weak and has been injured a few times before. It hurt before my workout on Wednesday(new x5 squat PR, so heavy for me). Both of my knees hurt after.

I don't think my form is the issue.

Thursday I was hiking around in mud wearing rubber boots and digging holes for three hours. Both knees still hurt today, but feel better than yesterday.

I have 5x5 with lighter squats and heavy DL tonight.

My question: Should I stick with the plan and see if my knees can stand it or work upper body and give the knees a break?

I was planning on going for 405 tonight on the DL, but I have ruled that out.

Your call on whether you want to squat or not, but in the future, spend some more time stretching your hips and ankles before you squat.

Your call on whether you want to squat or not, but in the future, spend some more time stretching your hips and ankles before you squat.
Thanks, I usually warmup with jumrope, stick squats, lunges and bar squats. Maybe I am not doing enough of them though.

Where is the pain focused at? Is it "inside" the knee, or in one of the heads of the quadricep?

It is both sides of the left knee and the outer side of th right, both lower on the patella. The left will also hitch occasionally when I try to lock it out and that hurts at the back of the knee.

Two things

- record your squat, not thinking you have form errors does not equal not having any

- Knee sleeves may help you depending on what exactly is going on, maybe something to look into

Two things

- record your squat, not thinking you have form errors does not equal not having any
True enough, when I squat again I will get a video, but I have followed advice from carnal and starting strength and I have someone that watches my form when I squat.

- Knee sleeves may help you depending on what exactly is going on, maybe something to look into
I try to avoid any gear if possible. I lift barefoot, don't own a belt, etc.. I wore a brace when I started out because I was recovering from a sprained MCL on the left knee

FYI: I squat a little wider than shoulder width with knees and toes at about 30 degrees. Low bar and ATG. Form check includes straight back, bar over center of foot and knees just past toes at the bottom.

Knee sleeves aren't really "gear". Knee WRAPS are, but as far as I know, knee sleeves won't add to your lift.

I used to wear these on the wrestling mat to keep my knee hair from getting ripped out when I shot a double. They also keep your knees nice and warm.

asics_zd700lycrakneepad_lrg.jpg

Knee sleeves just keep your knee joint warm and lubricated. They don't add anything to the lift, but contribute to positive joint function.

Cissus my large friend.

It will cure what ails you. Get some chewable vitamin C as well.

Cissus my large friend.

It will cure what ails you. Get some chewable vitamin C as well.
I thought about that when I saw you and teh fatness posting about it in his log. I already have the vit C and I take fish oil and gloucosamin chondricthine. I will see if I can get some Cissus tonight.

You bring up a good point with the "large" part. I don't want any noobs seeing this thread and thinking that squats kill the knees. My fat ass has made my knees shitty, end o' story. I'm working on that too.

I will look into the knee sleeves too. I just thought it might keep you from developing your stabilizing muscles around the knees as well as without them.

Back