Knee hurts from day after squats

canadapride**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For my last couple squat sessions, me left knee cap has been hurting the day after. Any idea whats going on?

I warm up via 10 minute bike ride, then 5 sets (starting with 65 lbs) that increment 10-20 lbs till I reach the weight where I do the serious reps for 3x3 or 5x5 (around 160-190). I also do leg swings and knee-circles between my warmup sets. On top of that I take a lot of fishoil to lube up joints.

As for my form, I do lean slightly forward, but I keep the weight on my heels.

What gives :icon_sad:

Can you post a video? This might help us rule out the possibility of form problems.

Try massaging the tendon right above the knee cap and see if it helps.

I have the same thing going on in my left knee. Back squats hurt it the most. Front squats not so much. Its the tendon right above, and to the inside of my knee cap. If I look down at my knee cap, and put pressure with my finger at 4 or 5 o'clock, that's where the pain is. Its been like this for months and its not getting worse, or bad enough to get me to stop squatting.

This is serious business. I thought squats were supposed to strengthen the knee, not weaken it.

I do ATG squats by the way, hams touching calves.

I would love to post a vid, but I am too poor to buy a camra.

This is strange. My inner right knee has been bothering me for some time but I think its due to running on pavement. However, since Ive been taking about 7 grams of fish oil and doing squats, my knee has been feeling better. My knee does bother me a little from time to time but not during squats at all. Did you mess up your knee b4 or something?

I've had knee pain and doing the terminal knee extensions in the video I posted above (like 2 sets of 20 with 20 lbs on a low cable) . I don't know if that is what would fix your problems.... but *shrug*

This is strange. My inner right knee has been bothering me for some time but I think its due to running on pavement. However, since Ive been taking about 7 grams of fish oil and doing squats, my knee has been feeling better. My knee does bother me a little from time to time but not during squats at all. Did you mess up your knee b4 or something?

Nope, never.

i've been bitching about the same thing for the better part of a month or two.

caused by atg/bs and fighting (general banging up of the knee).

i watched that elite fts series all the way through. awesome stuff.

Yeh I have the same shit. Only been squatting for bout a month so Im hoping it will get better. Quads feel great but joints not so much.

Are your knees caving in when you're squatting? Make sure you're driving them out when you're going up on your squat

Just on the last couple sessions it's been hurting? Have you been upping the weight a lot? Take a few days off, let yourself heal, and then come back but try doing some lighter sets, keeping your same form, and see if your knee still bothers you. By lighter I mean if your sets were with 315 come down to 250 or 265 (coming down past 1/2 the weight is pointless). If your knee still bothers you, blame your form. If not, blame the weight and that you just need to get stronger, but I have a feeling that it might be a combination of the two.

Have someone stand in front/behind you to watch your knees and see if they have lateral motion as you are squatting. They should *not* be moving inward as you move the weight up coming out of the hole. That will hurt your knees, so be sure that you're not making that mistake.

If your knee still is bothering you, maybe keep off ATG for a while, build up your knee strength, and then come back to it. Good thing listening to yourself before really getting a serious injury.

Also, is anything swollen? Puffy around the knee cap or behind? Do anti-inflammatories (Advil or generic iburpofin works best, IMO) help the pain? These are good things to know.

EDIT: Sorry Green, I missed your post when I made this one. You are teh smart.

That pain is just gayness leaving your body.

Cereally though, posting a video might get you some useful feedback.

I do lean slightly forward, but I keep the weight on my heels.

That doesn't seem possible unless you're just referring to your back angle. If that's the case, everyone leans forward. It's the only way to keep the bar over the middle of the foot and keep the weight balanced.

When I normally hear of someone leaning forward it usually means the weight is being shifted on the front of the foot and that will certainly cause sore knees.

Unless you have a preexisting condition, I

I had/have a similar problem. Tell me if this sounds familiar. Your lower body flexibility isnt all that great consequently your stance is somewhat wider than shoulder width in order to achieve proper depth. Your feet tend to point somewhat outward as opposed to straight ahead when your squatting. You may have recently begun working on slight corrections in your form so that your lower back doesnt round when your in the hole.

If any of this sounds familiar your doing exactly what I was doing. Letting your knee "cave in" when your in the hole and when you are coming out of the hole. What I mean by this is that your knee is folding slightly to the inside. Alot of the time you won't even notice it. I finally had to have a friend watch me before I caught it.

The solution to this is simple force your knees out when your entering, leaving and in the hole. Right about now your thinking to yourself I already do that. No you dont. I thought the same thing. I dont mean my knees are outward a bit I'm ok. I mean FORCE your knees out like some 500lb bitch is try to crawl between your legs to blow you. Sure its not pleasant but grit your teeth and get down to business.

This seems super serial. Go see a doctor immediately or you may end up like a girl in my class that doesn't have one leg.

its quite possibly nothing to do with your form or the weight or the reps/sets whatever. I have a torn miniscus I never got fixed, and all that is it cartlidge between all the bones that meet in your knee. You might have small tears in cartlidge where bone is rubbing bone. Otherwise pain would probably be in both knees. Its the problems I have.

Don't listen to newterror, he's a whitebelt piece of shit.

Back