Knee Cut Defence

Basile4567

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i just recently got my blue and i was rolling with another blue belt of one year, it was fairly competitive until he decided to knee cut me at which point i couldn't stop the pass. It was a great roll I'm learning a lot from this guy but i cant seem to do anything about his knee cut. Does anyone have any tips or techniques to stop, sweep, escape etc..... For the knee cutter? Thanks guys oss

Make sure you have the underhook. The pass is much harder to finish if you control the underhook.

The opposite side (compared to the cutting). Having the underhook you can try a single or just turtle and get back the guard.

Also to counter the knee slide, try playing with RDLR.

You just got your blue belt and you're wondering which SIDE you get the underhook?

WTF is happening to BJJ?

"get the underhook" as a answer to stopping a knee slide is like saying "dont let him lock his hands" as a defense to a kimura.

If he is blowing your doors off with a knee slide, you need to either get to quarters/front headlock as he is passing, or chase down a single leg as the knee is coming out. That is after you done fucked up.

Before that, you need to not let him flatten you out, and keep his knee trapped in half guard. Lockdown can really help against guys who knee slide a lot.

If you are being flattened from DLR or sitting guard and that's how you are getting knee sliced, then you should work on playing with your opponent's base/balance and controlling space when you are in DLR or sitting guard.

When your opponent has started to slice and doesn't have the underhook, you can move to RDLR, just watch out for the long step pass. If he has the underhook, you have to frame up on his neck to make space and fight for the underhook. If he has the underhook and hes cross facing you with his head, you are screwed. You also have to make sure he is not controlling your other arm, because that's another way he will keep you flat on your back, you want to be on your side, either to turtle or to dive under him for DHG.

Last edited:
Whenever I see threads like this, I'm always starting to wonder.

Man, are there no instructors at these guys academies to ask questions? No higher level belts? Why

To add to what Holt said, dont let him flatten the top part of your body out. You shouldn't be lying flat on the ground.

Depending on the situation, I arch my back, keep my elbows in close to avoid the underhook, and keep my head off the mat. I hook the leg with my arm and play knee shield, too.

If his knee has touched the ground, and hes either using lapel grips or if i gained back the underhook, I'll shimmy down his leg till I have quarter guard (as if I'm going for a Gordo sweep, which btw isn't usually possible given that his other leg is posted out too far), I'll get a dental floss grip on either his belt or his lapel and go for a sweep or reversal from there with that control. Just have to watch out for your neck.

Reverse De La Riva or shin on shin. Don't let him get past your knees.

RDLR
[YT]0JJNCQKpdH4[/YT]
check out parts 2 and 3 as well
but seriously...RDLR works wonders

The defense to the knee slide is to get better at Dale Lane Rivers guard.

Hey guys, so i just recently got my blue and i was rolling with another blue belt of one year, it was fairly competitive until he decided to knee cut me at which point i couldn't stop the pass. It was a great roll I'm learning a lot from this guy but i cant seem to do anything about his knee cut. Does anyone have any tips or techniques to stop, sweep, escape etc..... For the knee cutter? Thanks guys oss

The knee cut is my favorite pass. As dirty holt said, if he has already entered the knee cut, it's likely too late. I like to knee cut and not worry about the underhook (from the top) in the hopes the guy will in fact turtle or engage my front headlock and give me a chance to attack the back. However, if you are strong in the single from that position, perhaps this might work for you.

In order to defend the knee cut pass, you cannot let them flatten you out, or set it up. But you also cannot let them get an appropriate angle. For reference, you might look up how MG does the knee cut, which is the method I adopted. It's very fast, and the opponent does not have to be all the way flat.

I think it's about timing, and anticipation. Perhaps you can try to play the knee cut from the top in order to understand the position better.

a good knee cutter is a very hard dude to stop... fucking hate that pass, ironically, is the pass i use 90% of the times, no gi, 100% of the times ....

In gi, it's important to not let them control your bottom arm. If they can pull up on that arm and force it across your face flattening you out, you're f-ed. If they don't have that arm, even if they have the underhook, you should be able to get to your knees. One defense is to use your top knee pushing on his butt to force him past you as he cuts, and use the space created to get to your knees. You can also invert to counter this pass, but the timing is hard and you have to be pretty good at inverting.

Yeah, when you feel him starting to get in position for the knee cut pass, you generally want to do one of two things:

1. Create more distance by wedging your other knee in front of his hip and banana-ing your body away from him. Then go back to DLR guard or RDLR guard. Berimbolo him or whatever.

2. Take away all the distance by hooking his free leg, scooting under him, and going to deep half guard. Be careful not to let him trap your other arm though, especially if he already has the underhook, you're going to need to get rid of that first.

I've been working on a "late" defense, which involves establishing a cats paw grip on the end of the pants for the passing leg. As they slice through, I pendulum my body the other way and I end up in a good deep half position. The grip has to be to the outside of your upper leg, and you need to keep your elbow flush to your body to prevent the underhook as they react to the change in position. Your other arm needs to occupy the space between your hips and armpit, leaving no room.

The opposite side (compared to the cutting). Having the underhook you can try a single or just turtle and get back the guard.

Also to counter the knee slide, try playing with RDLR.

This. A easy counter is doing RLDR and simply just putting your same side hand (same side as the leg that is hooking for RLDR) and on the ground and close to your hip with your palm facing up to prevent his knee from hitting the mat.

From here you can use the other leg to knee shield OR what I like to do is use the free leg to post on side and push them away just enough to create some space to transition to a easy deep half guard.

I keep wanting to post a video of this as it is pretty easy and a great way to prevent the knee slide.

Back