KJ Noons boxing

uppercuts21

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know someone was going to start a thread about this.:icon_chee

But I think his boxing is fantastic for MMA. Probably one of the best boxers in the sport of MMA.

Its amazing how some people still claim traditional boxing techniques such as bobbing and weaving are ineffective in MMA when numerous fighters have done these techniques effectively.

Considering how long the fight lasted I thought Noons was impressive. I thought his head movement was great in this fight.

What are your thoughts?

KJ was a decent Boxer, and seems to understand that you don't really have to adjust that much if you're also strong in other areas.

I recently got a chance to share a Gym with Damacio Page, and he was showing me how he uses head-movement different when he spars Boxers, and then showed tighter more concise head-movement for MMA. Had I not been at the very end of my workout and a little mentally slow, I'd have let him know I think the smaller more concise movements would work better in Boxing, too. There doesn't need to be a difference really. Especially with his Wrestling background.

KJ was a decent Boxer, and seems to understand that you don't really have to adjust that much if you're also strong in other areas.

I recently got a chance to share a Gym with Damacio Page, and he was showing me how he uses head-movement different when he spars Boxers, and then showed tighter more concise head-movement for MMA. Had I not been at the very end of my workout and a little mentally slow, I'd have let him know I think the smaller more concise movements would work better in Boxing, too. There doesn't need to be a difference really. Especially with his Wrestling background.

Good point,

I thought his upper body movement was good as well. And another thing I noticed was he looked relaxed. He looked like a seasoned veteran in there.

Did you end up catching the Noons fight? Do you like him?

Keeping loose is a key of Boxing well, and IMO it was one of the differences that was telling between Penn and Sherk. When you're loose like BJ was, reaction time is better because you don't have to relax your muscles to move. Sherk always looked tense and tight, so to punch he'd have to relax, punch, and tighten back up.

I've seen KJ fight, he's the goods.

Keeping loose is a key of Boxing well, and IMO it was one of the differences that was telling between Penn and Sherk. When you're loose like BJ was, reaction time is better because you don't have to relax your muscles to move. Sherk always looked tense and tight, so to punch he'd have to relax, punch, and tighten back up.

Definitely,

I thought Penn was so much more fluid than Sherk. Penn was so smooth in all aspects, his head & body movement, his combinations etc. It almost looked easy for Penn.

KJ Noons is becoming one of my favorite fighters to watch. i was shocked when he caught Yves so early in the fight. hes all around a good striker

You know someone was going to start a thread about this.:icon_chee

But I think his boxing is fantastic for MMA. Probably one of the best boxers in the sport of MMA.

Its amazing how some people still claim traditional boxing techniques such as bobbing and weaving are ineffective in MMA when numerous fighters have done these techniques effectively.

Considering how long the fight lasted I thought Noons was impressive. I thought his head movement was great in this fight.

What are your thoughts?

the guy who fought diaz used his head/upperbody movement very well in evading diaz jab and right hand, not to mention some pretty nifty footwork to avoid takedowns and maintain range to catch nick coming in

as far as noons, he seems to be for real; as far as phys ability goes he is definitely legit, he has shown very fast hands, alot of footspeed and REAL punching/striking power stopping. As good as eves is standing, i had alot of concerns that he could or would be caught in exchanges w/noons, which is exactly what happened; at this moment i don't see tooo many people being able to hang w/kj on the feet and unless their wrestling game is VERY sharp, they won't be able to even attempt to grapple him.

i gave him credit for beating diaz unlike alot of the forum; people are gonna have to give him his respect, beating diaz/edwards back to back is saying something, esp when he did it in such a dominant fashion.

can the tenseness come from being in w/ someone who u KNOW is bascally superior to u in every possible area of fighting; an the one area u are superior in, there is no guarantee u can assert urself using those tech. Not to mention that aspect of your game walks u into that person ultimate strength.

also kabuki-is kj more or less the best striker in mma at the 155/160 range, i haven't seen alot of him; but i can't think of anyone right now who i feel confident standing w/ noones. I guess maybe spencer fisher, sam stout or chris horodecki; that performance against edwards was VERY impressive, as yves is still considered one of the better athletic and tech strikers in mma, much less the div.

The guy who fought Nick Diaz is also a pro boxer.

He had good head movement but too bad he had no clue on how to box as he stayed right in front of Diaz.

Even a good boxer with a head movement knows now to stay in front outside of an opponenent with a longer range

Which guy are you talking about?

Well, there are Boxers and there are Boxers. There haven't been many fighters in MMA who Boxed professionally who were either worth much at all, or relatively close to their Primes.

so....nick has mad subtle adjustments to his standup. I think he was a tad better this fight with better snap in his punches and a little better head movement. still gets tagged by straight right hands.

is diaz stand up ready for Noons?

looked like a vertical punch that dropped Yves. Can someone confirm that?

Cohhbrey (sp?) showed some pretty solid boxing skills as well.

Good head & body movement.

Its funny I actually think EliteXC can compare with the lightweights in the UFC in regards to striking.

can the tenseness come from being in w/ someone who u KNOW is bascally superior to u in every possible area of fighting; an the one area u are superior in, there is no guarantee u can assert urself using those tech. Not to mention that aspect of your game walks u into that person ultimate strength.

also kabuki-is kj more or less the best striker in mma at the 155/160 range, i haven't seen alot of him; but i can't think of anyone right now who i feel confident standing w/ noones. I guess maybe spencer fisher, sam stout or chris horodecki; that performance against edwards was VERY impressive, as yves is still considered one of the better athletic and tech strikers in mma, much less the div.

He was knocked out by Charles Bennett. Hes def not the best striker.

He was knocked out by Charles Bennett. Hes def not the best striker.

Crocop was knocked out by Gonzaga. But whos the better striker?

Noons was KO'd by Bennett 2 years ago and Bennett is a guy who can KO anyone with his fast, powerful hands regardless of his technique. So what he got caught. Lennox Lewis got caught by Rahman.

Noons has just steamrolled through 2 very good fighters in Nick Diaz and Yves Edwards. I'd say that is pretty damn impressive.

Well, there are Boxers and there are Boxers. There haven't been many fighters in MMA who Boxed professionally who were either worth much at all, or relatively close to their Primes.

people hear pro boxer, an assume that said fighter is some sort of virtuoso w/his hands; but considering how many people fight pro, just boxing pro doesn't necessarily make you PARTICULARLY talented or eff. Like kabuki said there is boxing pro and being a pro boxer, there is a difference; its the same issue w/grappling, melvin is a bjj blue belt; but obviously u wouldn't compare his ground skills to that of a kevin burns (who showed a great guard and def against carneiro) to melvin.

cobbrey looked good, in spots and def in certain areas; he timed the jab and began to counter off of it, which most don't do to diaz, an his headmovement to get away from nicks shots and he used a little bit of footwork. But that might be cause its not really his style so he can't execute it as well as others, who may be more talented or inclined to it.

the thing is most mma guys arent legit, as far as their boxing goes; in regards to talent or accomplishment, they know the moves and have been in the ring, but u have to ask against who did they go against, how long they do it and who are u comparing their talent against.

as far as the bennet ko, he can ko anyone; his handspeed, explosiveness and power is ridiculous. Not to mention he has a very good chin, taking clean shots from ludwig, gomi and maeda to name a few; kj was handling him, but krazy horse took it and was able to fire right back. I think noons is used to people stopping going back when he hits them; bennet punched w/him, resulting in him getting dropped, but landing the ko shot from his knee..which allso tells u how hard bennet hits

Back