Kitchen Tips & Gadets, from the PN Team

This was finally the article that got me to sign up for PN forums. This one brought up some really great stuff. I might pick up a magic bullet as my Blender is slowly but surely dying.

Does anyone know how long bananas stay good when frozen?

Edit: Does anyone have a Magic Bullet? I see some complaints on amazon, and am curious to hear other experiences.

I am about to buy a water cooler for the same purpose for tea. Make it nice and quick. I have those knives which is funny. The Magnetized Spice Rack is something cool to have as well. I have the bullet which is great.

Edit: Does anyone have a Magic Bullet? I see some complaints on amazon, and am curious to hear other experiences.

Speaking of hand blenders, my Braun just developed a short in the wiring, and work intermittently. Those bullets look good, but I'm just afraid the container isn't big enoughf or my PWO shake.

Omelet tip to save you using those double sided pans:

Cook as usual, then instead of flipping it, toss it under the broiler in your oven for 20 - 30 seconds.

Perfectly cooked omelet every time without flipping.

Speaking of hand blenders, my Braun just developed a short in the wiring, and work intermittently. Those bullets look good, but I'm just afraid the container isn't big enoughf or my PWO shake.

Get the 21 piece set with the full blender. I found it for 56.99 in teh USA. Not sure about you Canucks.

Edit: Let me know what you do decide and how it works for you. I'll do the same. I'm just not sure how soon I am going to get it, but whatever I choose, it will likely be in the next month or so.

The Bullet is NOT sufficient for much more than protein powder. The containers are SMALL! Will not replace a blender. However, I use mine all the time for PWO shakes, scrambling eggs, etc.

Interesting article.

Anyone know of something similar, but for dorm room or similar situations? Summer is gonna be tough to try and eat well for me with the stuff I have now.

My Mom's blender is like, 30 years old and still runs really well. It's pretty insane.

After doing some research I found these to be superior for the price range. The 2nd one is recommended in the 'recommend me a blender' thread. Im getting the pro model, motor is a little tougher.

Amazon.com: Oster BPST02-B Professional Series Blender, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Oster 4093 Classic Beehive Blender, Chrome: Kitchen & Dining

Those oster beehive blenders are terrible. My grandma was obsessed with oster kitchen equipment, so the last like 3 blenders we owned were the traditional oster "beehive" shape blender.

Those oster beehive blenders are terrible. My grandma was obsessed with oster kitchen equipment, so the last like 3 blenders we owned were the traditional oster "beehive" shape blender.

Terrible how? The only complaints Ive found on this model is that its loud.

The only blender in its price range with an all ****l drive, gets the best ratings as well.

What blender would you recommend instead?

Terrible how? The only complaints Ive found on this model is that its loud.

The only blender in its price range with an all ****l drive, gets the best ratings as well.

What blender would you recommend instead?

I haven't found something I prefer. The blender just doesn't "suck" the contents to the blades very well. It takes a lot of rattling and jarring of the blender to make everything blend as it should. Some things blend more than others, it sucks at crushing ice, for instance. I just feel like a blender should be better than it does. If I find one I like better, I'll be sure to post it here. Initially I planned to buy the one MikeMartial had, but it seems his broke.. so I'm lost for the moment :D

I've used worse before, though. I may end up just going with a corded mixer-type blender. One that I can just stick into whatever orifice the thing I want to mix is in and go to down, sort of like a mixer that does more than mix..

I disagree with most of the lists! Kitchen Aid knives???? FOR SHAME.

*goes sharpens his new Global 8" chef's knife*

Those kitchen AID knives last me a long time.

Get the 21 piece set with the full blender. I found it for 56.99 in teh USA. Not sure about you Canucks.

Edit: Let me know what you do decide and how it works for you. I'll do the same. I'm just not sure how soon I am going to get it, but whatever I choose, it will likely be in the next month or so.

I looked on the net and saw some for $56 including P&P.

I'm just wondering about the power of the motor. I have a big jug blender (1.5 litre) and even that motor (150 W I 'think') struggles with some of the things I put in it.

I disagree with most of the lists! Kitchen Aid knives???? FOR SHAME.

*goes sharpens his new Global 8" chef's knife*

lol

I need to break out my sharpening stones for my global knives set. They are getting blunt (I should cut bread with the big one)

I haven't found something I prefer. The blender just doesn't "suck" the contents to the blades very well. It takes a lot of rattling and jarring of the blender to make everything blend as it should. Some things blend more than others, it sucks at crushing ice, for instance. I just feel like a blender should be better than it does. If I find one I like better, I'll be sure to post it here. Initially I planned to buy the one MikeMartial had, but it seems his broke.. so I'm lost for the moment :D

I've used worse before, though. I may end up just going with a corded mixer-type blender. One that I can just stick into whatever orifice the thing I want to mix is in and go to down, sort of like a mixer that does more than mix..

*sigh*

I use my blender for frozen fruit galore and I need something that will suck the contents down into the blades. My old smoothy maker fom kenwood worked fine for this and I didn't realise, so when i accidently left a ****l spoon in there it put the handle through the plastic container,

I might have to get a new one, but it can be time consuming (well, a few minutes it isn't that bad) to clean, especially in the mornings

Do you put the ingredients into the blender in proper order? Ive heard that make a difference but Im no expert.

Also is yours an older unit from back in the day? Im just wondering if maybe the blades are dull.

Now you got me doubting teh Oster. Back to the drawing board.:mad:

Do you put the ingredients into the blender in proper order? Ive heard that make a difference but Im no expert.

Also is yours an older unit from back in the day? Im just wondering if maybe the blades are dull.

Now you got me doubting teh Oster. Back to the drawing board.:mad:

Lmao. We actually have two of them right now. They are both pretty old, but I've been using them since they were new. One was from 2000 or 2001 and sucked from the onset. The other one is from like 1996, but I never really used it. I still don't use it unless I need to blend two things at once..

It isn't that it doesn't cut well. It just doesn't mix well. When you have liquid in the blender, it is supposed to form a vacuum and suck everything down in the middle, then push it out to the sides and back up. The blender just does a terrible job of sucking whatever into it. You have to jar it around a lot or put a spoon into it to force the stuff around. It also sucks at things like chopping oats.

There was one I used a few years back, when I was still in high school. The thing was awesome. I cannot remember what brand it was, though..

If you're not pinching pennies, go buy an oster and try it out :p

I just know I wouldn't buy another Oster blender, and I'm on the lookout for a new one as we speak. I need one that makes better milkshakes and smoothies..

Back