King Kabuki

Status
Not open for further replies.
$800 more is still good.

Verry good. I'm surprised sparring partners make that much, I had no idea. They deserve it though, based on what other athletes get payed. I wonder how much MMA partners make.

Verry good. I'm surprised sparring partners make that much, I had no idea. They deserve it though, based on what other athletes get payed. I wonder how much MMA partners make.

always wondered the samething...i wonder where does the huerta's of the world stay when training in New Mexico.

or where kit cope stays when training in the 209.

King, I think the amateurs would be a valuable learning tool. Even 2-3 fights.

You don't have to fight in an amateur style just because you're fighting in the amateurs.. Over the past year I've been fighting and doing pretty well for myself with a "professional" style emphasizing dedicated body work and damaging, effective punches rather than flightly scoring blows.

The amateurs are NOT just shorter professional fights - the feel IS different - but similarly they aren't as tame as most people would have you believe. It isn't a slap fight unless you're at the top level, and even then you'll often face a guy who will not have even thought of popping straight punches and working the score system, and all he is trying to do is decapitate you. You won't run into a hit-and-run fleet-of-foot queen in the Novice class you'd be fighting in. Open (10+ fights) yeah, but even then, it's when you're fighting guys with upwards of 60 fights that you see this on occasion

Why would you even bother, though? No money in it...

Well, how about for the sake of experience? You spar in an amazing gym under the eye of a legend in the Bodysnatcher, but it's still sparring. With yourt new style, skills and approach, have you ever had to test them against someone trying to actually hurt you? Mike has had to reel your sessions with Diego in, and ultimately, it's all about intent, right? I think it would be a good experience to go into a couple of amateur fights and fight them as you would professionally. Win, lose, or draw, you will have fought a guy who has tried to hurt you, and can see how you perform under that pressure, against someone who is not intending to get some rounds in, run some numbers and learn, but someone who is trying to kill you to death.

Sparring is a learning experience where you're getting hit and not paid, and an amateur bout would be the same thing, only perhaps a more valuable learning experience...

Just a thought. Knock 'em dead, King.

KK,

The fighters you say who work as sparring partners what traits allow them to be good sparring partners?

Is it because they compete, give different looks? Is it because of their style?

And do those sparring partners fight professionally as well?

You don't have to fight in an amateur style just because you're fighting in the amateurs.. Over the past year I've been fighting and doing pretty well for myself with a "professional" style emphasizing dedicated body work and damaging, effective punches rather than flightly scoring blows.

The amateurs are NOT just shorter professional fights - the feel IS different - but similarly they aren't as tame as most people would have you believe. It isn't a slap fight unless you're at the top level, and even then you'll often face a guy who will not have even thought of popping straight punches and working the score system, and all he is trying to do is decapitate you. You won't run into a hit-and-run fleet-of-foot queen in the Novice class you'd be fighting in. Open (10+ fights) yeah, but even then, it's when you're fighting guys with upwards of 60 fights that you see this on occasion

Well, how about for the sake of experience? You spar in an amazing gym under the eye of a legend in the Bodysnatcher, but it's still sparring. With yourt new style, skills and approach, have you ever had to test them against someone trying to actually hurt you? Mike has had to reel your sessions with Diego in, and ultimately, it's all about intent, right? I think it would be a good experience to go into a couple of amateur fights and fight them as you would professionally. Win, lose, or draw, you will have fought a guy who has tried to hurt you, and can see how you perform under that pressure, against someone who is not intending to get some rounds in, run some numbers and learn, but someone who is trying to kill you to death.

Sparring is a learning experience where you're getting hit and not paid, and an amateur bout would be the same thing, only perhaps a more valuable learning experience...

No thanks Brandon. If I'm going to fight in front of people just for experience, I'd rather get paid for it. Remember, I'm realistic about what I might be able to do in the Pros, I may end up but a Journeyman, in my opinion and Mike's, it's not worth it. And as far as guys tying to kill me, yes. Jesse's guys always go balls-out, Jesse encourages it, and so do Mustafa's. When Mike puts us in with those guys, he knows they try and wail. But also keep in-mind, when I criticized the Amateurs I criticized the ones here in America. They're HIGHLY political, especially with kids coming up from the Junior levels, you try and hurt them you can get black-balled pretty quickly.

If I were in your position, I would, but I'm not.

KK,

The fighters you say who work as sparring partners what traits allow them to be good sparring partners?

Is it because they compete, give different looks? Is it because of their style?

And do those sparring partners fight professionally as well?

Some sparring partners Fight Professionally, but there's a such thing also as sparring partner mentality. It's where guys often leave it in the Gym, just content to make the $1,000 a week or so (not a bad wage), and when it comes time to get it up for a Fight, they end up just doing the rounds for the money and not putting forth all of the effort.

As far as what makes good sparring partners, aside from styles and what they're good at, there's also disposition, control, etiquette, protocol, things that make guys valuable to work with instead of it just being a pissing match every time in the Gym.

KK, boxers or briefs? I would assume boxers?

honestly how far away from competing in a pro fight do you feel you are?

Honestly, I've no real opinion on that. I feel like if a fight got booked, I might do well, I might not. All I know is I'll get in there and try to hurt the other guy.

Grappling basically created MMA in this country friend. Guys that want exclusive stand up can watch boxing or K-1.

The ground and pound is something that makes the grappling aspect far more interesting to the fans.

Without ground strikes, this sport would have never gotten this big.

anyways, Kabuki is the man cuz he'll break shit down for people and give his honest advice based on his experiences. He isn't just another schmuck here to talk shit about everyone else to feed his sherdog ego.

I'd defenetly want at least a couple smoker fights in front of a crowd. It helps your nerve's a ton to get out there and fight in front of a crowd. It is tough to simulate that in sparring, i have seen some guy's get in there who look pretty sharp in sparring and they are tight as hell when they have thier first fight and don't look as good as they do in the gym.
There are pro who i have met who didn't have an extensive usa boxing background, but they did compete in tough man, smokers, or kickboxing.
That expierence is going to help you out alot. I just had a fight may 10th, and hadn't fought in 2 years. i didn't feel like i fought real well even though i won. Now i feel alot better about getting back up in front of a crowd and the jitters of not fighting for a while are gone. The more active you are the easier it is to get in there from my expierience.
You've got a world champ training you he knows what you should do. I would think he would want you to fight before it's for money and really counts if your trying to make a career out of it. Good luck with everything and i hope you do well with your boxing and journalism.

Hey KK is Jesse Reid still training people. I saw quickly that you mentioned him a few post ago (I skipped over a page or two). Jesse used to teach at westminster boxing club in the OC. I trained MT at that location.

Also I came back to fighting after a 9 year lay off (I am 43 yrs old). I went immediately back to pro and went form MT to cage fighting. I paid the price for not taking some tuneup fights. I can appreciate your goals and wanting to get paid but a couple of smoker fights may help out. If not I can appreciate where you are coming from. I can post my fight if you like but I did not do even 20% of what I can and I feel it has alot to do with ring rust (And a wicked kne to my face in the first round).

Hey KK is Jesse Reid still training people. I saw quickly that you mentioned him a few post ago (I skipped over a page or two). Jesse used to teach at westminster boxing club in the OC. I trained MT at that location.

Also I came back to fighting after a 9 year lay off (I am 43 yrs old). I went immediately back to pro and went form MT to cage fighting. I paid the price for not taking some tuneup fights. I can appreciate your goals and wanting to get paid but a couple of smoker fights may help out. If not I can appreciate where you are coming from. I can post my fight if you like but I did not do even 20% of what I can and I feel it has alot to do with ring rust (And a wicked kne to my face in the first round).

Hey JJ Cop, Jesse Reid is definitely still training people, and is down at Top Rank in Vegas. Westminster boxing club is a very good gym. Jesse also used to train people at Tommy's Gym in Costa Mesa, Ca.

Listen, let me make this perfectly clear for everyone, because some of you guys mean well, but you're not getting it.

Mike and I have DECIDED, I'm not going into the Amateurs. It's no-longer open for debate. Don't you guys think I've already asked myself all the questions you're posing in here? I have, and they've been answered. WHEN I fight, you can rest assured I won't be going in cold, at any less than I'm capable of right at that moment, or delusional about anything.

And to Killed By Death:

Don't take it too hard around here. The reason these guys get testy is because most of them have known me or known of me for quite a while and have seen this song-and-dance over and over. It does seem like you were asking the same questions repetitiously, but if you want any different answers than you've gotten I'm afraid you're not going to get them. Do I feel good about where I'm at and what I'm doing? Sure. As long as Mike and everyone I work with/for at my Gym are happy I'm happy. Am I confident? Well we'll see.

I'll fight as soon as a fight is booked. No sooner or later.

Thanks for the info on Jesse. Good luck on your fight when it happens and I wish you nothing but the best. Take care.

Jesse's got a whole stable at Top Rank. I've worked with three of them so far, his former Cali GG'er David, his Hawaiian mauler Meija, and a Light Heavyweight of his named Tim, who fights a lot like Jake LaMotta used to.

Right now the biggest name he's training is Tye Fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back