Kinda scared of retirement

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
I was on FMLA for 2 months early this year, before all this covid19 nonsense became a big thing. I was going insane towards the end of it. I never knew what day it was. I kept buying shit online, going to Home Depot for home projects, etc..

I'll be able to retire very soon due to my trade's union pension. I wanted to just work a couple of days a week, but there's no position other than full time. I'd stay working just so I'd have something to do, but I hate the new GM we got. He can't give me any kind of hassle because our union rep will push his shit in, but I hate the way he treats my boss. Like in most unions, the managers aren't part of it, just the workers. So, the GM can treat him like shit without any repercussions. And my boss is such a nice guy.

I thought maybe I'd just get a part time job at a gas station or something. 1 or 2 days a week should keep me busy enough to where I don't go insane.

Have you thought about taking up capoeira?

I thought about getting hobbies, but I can do that now. And it NEVER works out. Everyone who retired already from my work talked about going on vacations, living abroad, taking painting, playing soccer.. everything you can think of. And they all don't stick to it and end up working part time or just wither away getting fat , becoming a shell of their former selves.

You can sell corn on the street part time, I hear that gets pretty exciting these days

I have seen a lot of retired people working in home depot and being one of the department experts, especially those who are handy. I've asked them about it and they told me it's fun for them and keep them busy in retirement. Plus earning some money while doing something you enjoy is always welcomed at any age.

TS, sounds like you are handy. You could work at home depot for fun, and never be there when I need to get some help, and magically show up right when I leave the store.

I thought about getting hobbies, but I can do that now. And it NEVER works out. Everyone who retired already from my work talked about going on vacations, living abroad, taking painting, playing soccer.. everything you can think of. And they all don't stick to it and end up working part time or just wither away getting fat , becoming a shell of their former selves.
Hobbies are a good way to blow money quickly.

If you find a part time job that you enjoy then you'll be having fun and making a little dough too.

If you're happy working at a gas station then why not do it in Yellowstone or some other beautiful location? You can enjoy paradise in your off time and it's seasonal work so just when you start to get sick of it, it's winter and you get laid off anyway.

Until next year.

You can start a meth business

I thought about getting hobbies, but I can do that now. And it NEVER works out. Everyone who retired already from my work talked about going on vacations, living abroad, taking painting, playing soccer.. everything you can think of. And they all don't stick to it and end up working part time or just wither away getting fat, becoming a shell of their former selves.
I don't believe that. I'm retired and my life is great. Gone are the days of constantly looking at your watch, talking on the phone and emailing people. Planning things for the day, the week, the month, and the year. Gone are the stressful days. Peace now. Have you given any thought to some volunteer work? Helping people or animals? With people there is great opportunity for mentorship. Maybe you can work with veterans. Good luck...

did you ask a wizard for help?

I don't believe that. I'm retired and my life is great. Gone are the days of constantly looking at your watch, talking on the phone and emailing people. Planning things for the day, the week, the month, and the year. Gone are the stressful days. Peace now. Have you given any thought to some volunteer work? Helping people or animals? With people there is great opportunity for mentorship. Maybe you can work with veterans. Good luck...
Got less than 20 yrs to go. Started planning last year, in fact, at least in the early stages. Gotta get house paid off, w/ no loans or credit cards/car payments to speak of and just keep piling $$ into 401k and IRA

Learn to code, make money in retirement. You will start to mentally decline. Take advantage of that to find something that gives your life meaning. Become active in your church and your community.

Hobbies! Try different stuff until you find something that makes you happy and busy. I've got 12 years of work left and can't wait to travel and do some cycling tours with my wife and spend more time in the garden.

I have buddies getting ready to retire and they have all said it's an odd feeling to not need to be anywhere. They are burning their sick leave and said they are starting to feel irrelevant. I have always been a guy that works to live and not lives to work so I will embrace retirement. I have a ton of hobbies that I wish I could put more time into. Take up gardening bud. It's easy and is very rewarding...both for your physical health and your mental health.

Last edited:

One thing to consider I spose is maybe having a hobby/business, some kind of art/craft you can sell(even if only at a low level) adding some extra spice to it plus of course you can carry on doing it without filling up the house.

That does have the benefit you have something real to aim at and be judged by, strangers putting there money down for something rather than just praise of friends/family.

Last edited:
Hobbies are a good way to blow money quickly.

If you find a part time job that you enjoy then you'll be having fun and making a little dough too.

If you're happy working at a gas station then why not do it in Yellowstone or some other beautiful location? You can enjoy paradise in your off time and it's seasonal work so just when you start to get sick of it, it's winter and you get laid off anyway.

Until next year.
This. Having some part time job, even abroad will help you make connections and friends. It's a cool way to subsidize your retirement. I hope I make it long enough to retire. I'm thinking about okinawa or some place warm

My Dad retired last year after 30+ years as a computer technician. He is bored out of his mind and has nothing to do; since his whole life was work and taking care of his family he's not really interested in much else. So now he sits in his chair and watches the news...he is losing his mind and it's so hard to see.

I think the lockdown showed a lot of people what life is like when you have no purpose and are lacking resources. It's fucking miserable and I totally understand where you're coming from when you say you're afraid of retirement. There's a ton of shit to do in the world but you'll have to motivate yourself to get out there and do it.

Good luck.

Can't wait for retirement, which kinda sucks since I have like 30 years to go

What trade are you in? Have you thought about doing volunteer work? A lot of people have a hard time being by themselves. Have you thought about taking up any kind of meditation?

Back