Kinda scared of retirement

9 months to go for me till retirement. I don’t have a single worry about it. I won’t ever work again, and i definitely won’t be bored either. I live for the outdoors, and I don’t get bored of hiking, fishing, hunting, riding my ATVs. That’s the beauty of retiring in the country though. I just don’t like living in cities, and will only go to cities when i absolutely have to once i am retired.

What a society we have produced, where we are conditioned to fear NOT working.
By the time we're ready to retire, for many people, our entire worth, life and purpose have been tied to that job. It's pretty sad imo, if that's what life boils down to for most people. Lately I've been having this nagging thought to do something more with my life, maybe devoting some time to charitable works will give me some sense of purpose outside of the daily grind.

What trade are you in? Have you thought about doing volunteer work? A lot of people have a hard time being by themselves. Have you thought about taking up any kind of meditation?
This is a good idea, maybe his trade knowledge can be used to help others in need. Maybe even take on a mentor role, plenty of young people out there need to be shown what they can do with their hands, that they can make a good life with them.

I was on FMLA for 2 months early this year, before all this covid19 nonsense became a big thing. I was going insane towards the end of it. I never knew what day it was. I kept buying shit online, going to Home Depot for home projects, etc..

I'll be able to retire very soon due to my trade's union pension. I wanted to just work a couple of days a week, but there's no position other than full time. I'd stay working just so I'd have something to do, but I hate the new GM we got. He can't give me any kind of hassle because our union rep will push his shit in, but I hate the way he treats my boss. Like in most unions, the managers aren't part of it, just the workers. So, the GM can treat him like shit without any repercussions. And my boss is such a nice guy.

I thought maybe I'd just get a part time job at a gas station or something. 1 or 2 days a week should keep me busy enough to where I don't go insane.

Dude, I am ready for retirement right now. The time I spent at home during my Achilles recovery and the ensuing pandemic has shown me as much. I absolutely love my job, but got real used to being home and on recreation time. My only issue is that at year 20, I might actually have to go to year 30 if my pension numbers aren't right at 25.

i do agree though, some part time work might be in order after. I'm hoping to work at a gun shop or shooting range after retirement.

I thought about getting hobbies, but I can do that now. And it NEVER works out. Everyone who retired already from my work talked about going on vacations, living abroad, taking painting, playing soccer.. everything you can think of. And they all don't stick to it and end up working part time or just wither away getting fat , becoming a shell of their former selves.
Fook that! I am travelling the country, cheaply, in a camping rig. Having best times of my life.

Travel the world, assuming you have enough income to do so. Would love to retire early, but that is highly unlikely.

Back