Kimura Thumbs or no thumbs??

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
My instructer tells us to not use thumbs when executing the kimura(for better levarage), but I just looked at it online and the picture has it of the guy using thumbs in the grip of the arm.... ????

tommboy said:
My instructer tells us to not use thumbs when executing the kimura(for better levarage), but I just looked at it online and the picture has it of the guy using thumbs in the grip of the arm.... ????

It's all about personal preference. Some people feel they have more leverage without the thumbs, but I don't know if it really matters.

when you originally grab his wrist use your thumb. then when you lock up the kimura, remove your thumbs. the reason for removing the thumbs is that if he moves his arm in a violent way you don't want your thumbs getting injured.

hamoom said:
when you originally grab his wrist use your thumb. then when you lock up the kimura, remove your thumbs. the reason for removing the thumbs is that if he moves his arm in a violent way you don't want your thumbs getting injured.

yeah, he can actually break your thumb.

Yeah I was taught the same way. Grip with the thumb so you have a better grip, then remove it. Also without the thumb it's harder to escape because you can slide your hand more down his wrist.

My instructor taught no thumbs. However in the Cesar Gracie instructionals he uses thumbs.

Put another way - I have no idea....

I'm going to be incredibly unhelpful and say that IMO its a thing of presonal preference. I use the thumbs and feel this gives me much more control and grip, but I can see the argument for not using them, experiment and see which gets the move to work more often for you.

its a personal pref.. but with no thumbs you get a great grip and avoid sprianed and or broken thumbs.

I'll use thumbs to secure it and no thumbs to finish. You have better leverage without your thumbs.

I prefer the monke grip myself. Ive actually had thumb / wrist issues from not using it so its become a habit out of neccesity.

Aesopian said:
I'll use thumbs to secure it and no thumbs to finish. You have better leverage without your thumbs.

Boom! He nailed it. Ideally though you want to switch to the no-thumb hold as soon as you can because it has a stronger grip (yes, I know, counter-intuitive) when you apply it correctly. It gives you better leverage.

Originally Posted by Aesopian

ditto

Try it on yourself, take your right hand and grab your left wrist. Try moving your wrist with both variations. I find it alot harder to move my wrist without thumbs, so Im assuming that way gives you better control.

CoutureFan16 said:
Try it on yourself, take your right hand and grab your left wrist. Try moving your wrist with both variations. I find it alot harder to move my wrist without thumbs, so Im assuming that way gives you better control.

The purpose of no thumbs is to give you better grip and strength after you lock it in. The same holds true with wrestling takedowns---> YOu should never grab a leg with an open hand, instead your thumb should be folded over the top (back) of your index finger and your hand should be curled in a "U" shape with your fingers pointed back toward your elbow.

no thumbs.

for example when you pin an arm on the ground either for a kimura or an americana and you are using your thumb, when you post to put your weight on that arm to keep it pinned, you are crushing your own thumb and fingers under his wrist.

when you use no thumbs, all the pressure is on the wrist, not the wrist on top of your fingers on top of the ground.

plus i find it allows my hands to get closer together and hold a better grip.

Personal preference and environment.

Like crossing your feet in the armbar. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. But when it comes down to it there is no right answer.

I use thumbs. I have never had my thumb broken and have probably applied, literally, many hundreds of Kimuras to finish people.

Back