Kimura Thumbs or no thumbs??

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tommboy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. tommboy

tommboy White Belt

My instructer tells us to not use thumbs when executing the kimura(for better levarage), but I just looked at it online and the picture has it of the guy using thumbs in the grip of the arm.... ????

2. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

It's all about personal preference. Some people feel they have more leverage without the thumbs, but I don't know if it really matters.

3. hamoom

hamoom Purple Belt

when you originally grab his wrist use your thumb. then when you lock up the kimura, remove your thumbs. the reason for removing the thumbs is that if he moves his arm in a violent way you don't want your thumbs getting injured.

4. mma-lee

mma-lee Orange Belt

yeah, he can actually break your thumb.

5. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

Yeah I was taught the same way. Grip with the thumb so you have a better grip, then remove it. Also without the thumb it's harder to escape because you can slide your hand more down his wrist.

6. swiftman

swiftman White Belt

My instructor taught no thumbs. However in the Cesar Gracie instructionals he uses thumbs.

Put another way - I have no idea....

7. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I'm going to be incredibly unhelpful and say that IMO its a thing of presonal preference. I use the thumbs and feel this gives me much more control and grip, but I can see the argument for not using them, experiment and see which gets the move to work more often for you.

8. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

its a personal pref.. but with no thumbs you get a great grip and avoid sprianed and or broken thumbs.

9. Aesopian

Aesopian Brown Belt

I'll use thumbs to secure it and no thumbs to finish. You have better leverage without your thumbs.

10. Nate Pringle

Nate Pringle Yellow Belt

I prefer the monke grip myself. Ive actually had thumb / wrist issues from not using it so its become a habit out of neccesity.

11. tequilaman

tequilaman Guest

Boom! He nailed it. Ideally though you want to switch to the no-thumb hold as soon as you can because it has a stronger grip (yes, I know, counter-intuitive) when you apply it correctly. It gives you better leverage.

12. praetor6

praetor6 White Belt

Thumb it.

13. blanko

blanko Guest

ditto

14. dutchmasterj3

dutchmasterj3 Blue Belt

monkey grip on kimuras is what I learned - so no thumbs

15. CoutureFan16

CoutureFan16 Purple Belt

Try it on yourself, take your right hand and grab your left wrist. Try moving your wrist with both variations. I find it alot harder to move my wrist without thumbs, so Im assuming that way gives you better control.

16. tequilaman

tequilaman Guest

The purpose of no thumbs is to give you better grip and strength after you lock it in. The same holds true with wrestling takedowns---> YOu should never grab a leg with an open hand, instead your thumb should be folded over the top (back) of your index finger and your hand should be curled in a "U" shape with your fingers pointed back toward your elbow.

17. DMcKayBJJ

DMcKayBJJ Blue Belt

Helio would say no thumb.

18. Crooks

Crooks White Belt

no thumbs.

for example when you pin an arm on the ground either for a kimura or an americana and you are using your thumb, when you post to put your weight on that arm to keep it pinned, you are crushing your own thumb and fingers under his wrist.

when you use no thumbs, all the pressure is on the wrist, not the wrist on top of your fingers on top of the ground.

plus i find it allows my hands to get closer together and hold a better grip.

19. Joey Guidice

Joey Guidice Green Belt Professional Fighter

I was taught no thumbs

20. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot

Personal preference and environment.

Like crossing your feet in the armbar. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. But when it comes down to it there is no right answer.

I use thumbs. I have never had my thumb broken and have probably applied, literally, many hundreds of Kimuras to finish people.