Kid's sporting team coaches GTFIH

TankAbbott4Eva

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Ok so my son is playing cricket this season and I've volunteered to be the coach. I haven't coached a kid's team before, have helped out in some sports clinics etc in the past but my first time as actual coach in a competitive environment. I did play a lot of cricket in the past and watch a lot so the game mechanics isn't a problem, dealing with 9 kids under 10 is going to be the issue. My son would prefer me not to be coaching, out of the parents I seemed the best option unfortunately for him.

Any tips on navigating the season? Should I be more Bobby Knight than Phil Jackson in terms of my temperament? What about if some of the Mums fall in love with the Sherdogger 6 foot 5 275 pound coach?

Also to confirm I did pass the "Working With Children check', phew!

I think with kids that age you are just trying to teach them the basics and help them have fun. Only thing that should be 100% serious is being a good team mate, good sportsmanship, and being respectful to coaches. This means they don't talk back to coaches, aren't mean to their team mates, and put in effort into the drills and practices. As long as the effort is there and other things listed above are followed then the rest is just gravy.

IME coaching soccer and wrestling we always did drills first and scrimmaged last. Kids always love to actually play the game so to get them to focus on drills we would tell them they get to scrimmage if they put enough effort into drills.

Just go into it assuming close to half of them could care less if they’re there and aren’t going to put any effort into anything. Give them simple pointers to help them do their best, and focus on the kids that pay attention. As mentioned, teach them to be good teammates and good sportsmen first and foremost.

I ain't no coach, but cricket?
You live in India? Pakistan?

Australia mate, cricket has declined in popularity over the years here but still very much a national sport of ours.

I think with kids that age you are just trying to teach them the basics and help them have fun. Only thing that should be 100% serious is being a good team mate, good sportsmanship, and being respectful to coaches. This means they don't talk back to coaches, aren't mean to their team mates, and put in effort into the drills and practices. As long as the effort is there and other things listed above are followed then the rest is just gravy.

IME coaching soccer and wrestling we always did drills first and scrimmaged last. Kids always love to actually play the game so to get them to focus on drills we would tell them they get to scrimmage if they put enough effort into drills.

Agreed. I mean I want to give them basic technical advice but this is annoying to kids, would rather them fall in love with the sport and then want to get better so they might listen to advice then.

“My son would prefer me not to coach him.”

Fuck Him!

This is gonna be my TEAM, MY GLORY!!!

Given the choice I'd rather not coach, it's a fair time committment. None of the other parents really know cricket as well as I do or want to commit so it makes sense i do it, someone has to. I did explain this to my son, he'd rather me as coach than no one and no team of course.

Depends upon their age.

In general keep it entertaining. Kids who have talent push them slightly more.

That's fair enough. I think back in my day coaches taught only one way, I think you need a different approach for all of the skill levels and personalities in the team for sure.

quote-if-winning-isn-t-everything-why-do-they-keep-score-vince-lombardi-17-80-86.jpg

Sounds like it's a rec team. Just do your best and make it fun. Try to limit drills that have too much downtime (long lines waiting for their turn). If you do, create another/multiple drills to keep them engaged. I don't know much about cricket, but I do know it's a slower sport. Some kids will naturally have good mechanics/talent while others will look like a clumsy and uncoordinated. You can only focus so much of your time with each kid individually. See if any other parents are willing to be an assistant coach because you may need the extra help.

Also, don’t forget that coaching is 90% coordinator (scheduling and rescheduling games), 10% teaching.

Watch the first three seasons of Cobra Kai to learn how to become an excellent coach to the young athletes

Back