Kickboxing vs. Muay Thai: "The Fight That Changed History"

LawrenceKenshin

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello f/11, been half a year since I made a thread here. First off, I'd like to thank some of you again for the shout-outs, I really appreciate it.

The thread: "The Perfect Low-Kick" played a big role in starting video analysis. Figured I ought to share some of my favorite pieces with you guys.

Muay Thai vs. Kickboxing Breakdown: "The Fight That Changed History

[YT]Lpl_7w8-jTE[/YT]

If you have trouble accessing the video, follow this link.

"The Fight That Changed History" is one of the most legendary stylistic match-ups in Kickboxing vs. Muay Thai. Muay Thai Pros wrote an article about the fight, and it inspired this break down. Both men demonstrated tremendous heart. It was beautiful in so many ways, particularly because of how much influence it had on the Roufus brothers. Watch to the end and you'll find a surprising speech from a familiar face in MMA... which leads to the next breakdown.

Duke Roufus Breakdown: The Low-Kick Finale

[YT]Er1WD-79PLs[/YT]

If you have trouble accessing the video, follow this link.

A lot of viewers were quite... disrespectful towards Duke. Many seemed to have missed the point, didn't read the text commentary in the end, or don't know/care who he is. I don't usually moderate comments, but there's about 100~ derogatory comments withheld from the previous video. I know that some of these people probably also took it to Twitter, and that was definitely not the intended effect.

So, I attempted a special breakdown of Duke -- making sure that I get the message across. 20 years after his famous low-kick speech, he made a comeback to face the Brazilian K-1 Champion... specializing in low-kicks! It was beautiful and a pleasure to break down. Also felt great to be appreciated by one of my heroes

10301422_1453181751590495_1890426448655448115_n.jpg

Thanks for watching/reading, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Do you have an opinion on Benny "The Jet" Urquidez? I believe he fought in a number of Muay Thai rules fights, with one of his few losses coming in a MT fight.

Very interesting fight......Funny how times have changed.

It should also be noted that fighting through a broken jaw is pretty crazy. Very few people are that kind of tough.

Do you have an opinion on Benny "The Jet" Urquidez? I believe he fought in a number of Muay Thai rules fights, with one of his few losses coming in a MT fight.

I haven't looked too much into Benny - I will soon. I know he's highly regarded, and great at kicking / punching. Great from the outside/mid-range, can hit from both stances, incorporates several TMA techniques... can learn a lot from him for sure.

[YT]P8kQQmT_uQg[/YT]

Saw this a while ago -- I really like the way he teaches his principles and transitions. Wish I can find more on his thoughts/teachings on elbows and knees though (in his interview with Mike Miles, he says he's not a fan of elbows and clinch knees, but he also says that he "can use" them haha).

Just found your Youtube channel recently, awesome stuff! thanks

Cool videos man. Honestly it's hard to blame people for reacting poorly to Duke's interview. He's just speaking from a place of ignorance and dare I say butthurt in that clip. But those people definitely did miss the point. He changed his mind and turned that ignorance into an awesome finish. That interview is just part of the development of the story, and there's no use trashing him because he didn't let ego get in the way of him developing his skill set and I'm sure eventually training methods.

Nicely done, thanks for sharing.

I haven't looked too much into Benny - I will soon. I know he's highly regarded, and great at kicking / punching. Great from the outside/mid-range, can hit from both stances, incorporates several TMA techniques... can learn a lot from him for sure.

Saw this a while ago -- I really like the way he teaches his principles and transitions. Wish I can find more on his thoughts/teachings on elbows and knees though (in his interview with Mike Miles, he says he's not a fan of elbows and clinch knees, but he also says that he "can use" them haha).

I did a HL video on Benny FOREVER ago, it has some footage from a couple of instructionals of his but not the sound. I have those videos but the computer they're on I can't access. If that changes I can let you know and figure out how to get that stuff to you:

Some of it was flashy movie crap, though.

Great work Kenshin.

Both were well done, but the first video "The fight that changed history" was my favourite. I felt like I was getting it all. A history lesson, the emotion of the fight, the gritt displayed and the technical breakdown. Everything was on point and the editing and music were great as well.

Funny thing, I was thinking about the Daniels vs Valtellini fight just before it got mentioned. Saw it a few days ago. I think my appreciation for Kick/Thai boxing might have been rekindled.

You are definintely one of the best video analyst on the web. I'm learning a lot, thanks!

Well done videos. I wasn't incredibly impressed by Duke's fight as it appears the opposition wasn't putting up much of a fight. A lot better fights out there to invest time into a breakdown like that IMO, but I guess it went with the narrative.

Cool videos man. Honestly it's hard to blame people for reacting poorly to Duke's interview. He's just speaking from a place of ignorance and dare I say butthurt in that clip. But those people definitely did miss the point. He changed his mind and turned that ignorance into an awesome finish. That interview is just part of the development of the story, and there's no use trashing him because he didn't let ego get in the way of him developing his skill set and I'm sure eventually training methods.

Nicely done, thanks for sharing.

Thank you James, always great to hear from you. That breakdown still gets about ~5 comments towards Duke everyday. Oh well, I suppose some people just don't follow MMA or they don't read.

I did a HL video on Benny FOREVER ago, it has some footage from a couple of instructionals of his but not the sound. I have those videos but the computer they're on I can't access. If that changes I can let you know and figure out how to get that stuff to you:

Some of it was flashy movie crap, though.

That's an awesome and well-made highlight. I've decided to study Benny. Thank you for the generous offer Luis, really appreciate it.

Great work Kenshin.

Both were well done, but the first video "The fight that changed history" was my favourite. I felt like I was getting it all. A history lesson, the emotion of the fight, the gritt displayed and the technical breakdown. Everything was on point and the editing and music were great as well.

Funny thing, I was thinking about the Daniels vs Valtellini fight just before it got mentioned. Saw it a few days ago. I think my appreciation for Kick/Thai boxing might have been rekindled.

You are definintely one of the best video analyst on the web. I'm learning a lot, thanks!

Thank you Sano. I'm glad you feel that way, it's really what I was going for: cinematic / historical edutainment. Valtellini vs. Daniels was quite special too, with lots of similarities. Guess who commentated it?? None other than Duke Roufus, discussing the principles of how Valtellini can beat Daniels haha!

I do more than video analysis, but it's what I've been focusing on the past 2 months (and what I enjoy more). That said, I'm looking for the right platform to deliver articles, but will restart writing projects in any case!

Well done videos. I wasn't incredibly impressed by Duke's fight as it appears the opposition wasn't putting up much of a fight. A lot better fights out there to invest time into a breakdown like that IMO, but I guess it went with the narrative.

Thank you! I wanted to highlight that fight because people missed the point and were bashing Duke. It was a fight that emphasized low-kicks, and it captured the narrative. Though the fight isn't legendary, it was pleasurable to breakdown and totally worth it to get the message across!

At college right now so cant watch these videos with sound but excited to when I get home! Thanks for the share

Back