• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Khabib's sick grappling (GIFs)

Koscheck didn’t have the perfect style for GSP. He was a worse striker and a worse grappler. His mma wrestling wasn’t even as good as GSP’s mma wrestling.

Gat has evolved into a superior striker. Anyone who destroys Ferguson standing has to be favored in that area. He doesn’t have the mma wrestling that khabib does, but he should have better defensive wrestling than anyone Khabib has gone up against so far.
but that's exactly what i'm saying. koscheck had the style, but not the skills. he was a superb athlete, wrestling background, KO power in his hands. he had the right skillset to beat him, but not the quality.

same thing with gaethje here. fight went down pretty much exactly the way i thought it would.

Khabib is the Roger of MMA. He's just perfect at imposing his game, and he's so complete.. at this point I guess it's certainly not exaggerated to call him the best MMA grappler ever. A shame he retired but I don't think he has anything else to prove.

but that's exactly what i'm saying. koscheck had the style, but not the skills. he was a superb athlete, wrestling background, KO power in his hands. he had the right skillset to beat him, but not the quality.

same thing with gaethje here. fight went down pretty much exactly the way i thought it would.
But Koscheck was a great wrestler, but as a grappler he was good, but nothing special. Now Khabib learned high level wrestling with subs since early childhood. Abdulmanap took subs seriously, something that wrestling-only training does not.

Khabib is a beast. And he made that look like easy weak.

I was shocked at how easily he manhandled Gaethje, both in the Jiu Jitsu and the Wrestling.

But Koscheck was a great wrestler, but as a grappler he was good, but nothing special. Now Khabib learned high level wrestling with subs since early childhood. Abdulmanap took subs seriously, something that wrestling-only training does not.
i wasn't comparing koscheck to khabib.

Rener Gracie has been very high on the mounted triangle for a long time. It's really been quite interesting how little we've seen of it in MMA.

Just goes to show how good Khabib is that he finished Gaethje with a tool nobody even expected him to have. Khabib's submission game may actually be as strong as his wrestling and control game.

Rener Gracie has been very high on the mounted triangle for a long time. It's really been quite interesting how little we've seen of it in MMA.

Just goes to show how good Khabib is that he finished Gaethje with a tool nobody even expected him to have. Khabib's submission game may actually be as strong as his wrestling and control game.
Khabib has plenty of triangle finishes pre-ufc and came very close to get one against Abel Trujillo, that was saved by the bell.

Really depends. Sport Sambo doesnt allow chokes, so they can undestimate the threat of triangles, rnc and such. But yeah, it is a great base once the practionicer is aware of the holes to correct.
Really depends. BJJ does not allow slams, so they can underestimate the threat of throws, pickups, slamming and such. But yeah, it is a great base once the practitioner is aware of the holes to correct.

The myth about no chokes in Sambo has to die. Like forever.
99% of top level sambists (as in the people who make it to world championship) know chokes, and they know them well enough, either because they actually trained them in Sambo, combat Sambo or because they trained them in judo (yes, most cross-train).
You'll see a very great deal of chokes in combat Sambo and I can't think of a single regular level sambist (club level) who doesn't know chokes. And I know hundreds.
I teach chokes in sport Sambo class, the former development director of FIAS teaches chokes in his seminars and the current technical director of FIAS teaches chokes on his FIAS sponsored training camps.
It is true that it is not the specialty of many sambist because you cannot use them in competition, but I put the example of slams in BJJ as an analogy: assuming any BJJ purple belt and up is not aware or does not know how to avoid getting slammed is just not true or he is an ultra specialized BJJer who has gaping holes in his formation.

Khabib has plenty of triangle finishes pre-ufc and came very close to get one against Abel Trujillo, that was saved by the bell.
The Truijllo fight he set up the triangle from guard.

I have to say though, I just looked it up. The entry he used against Gaethje is identical to the three triangle finishes he got in 2011. Literally identical.

Really depends. BJJ does not allow slams, so they can underestimate the threat of throws, pickups, slamming and such. But yeah, it is a great base once the practitioner is aware of the holes to correct.

The myth about no chokes in Sambo has to die. Like forever.
99% of top level sambists (as in the people who make it to world championship) know chokes, and they know them well enough, either because they actually trained them in Sambo, combat Sambo or because they trained them in judo (yes, most cross-train).
You'll see a very great deal of chokes in combat Sambo and I can't think of a single regular level sambist (club level) who doesn't know chokes. And I know hundreds.
I teach chokes in sport Sambo class, the former development director of FIAS teaches chokes in his seminars and the current technical director of FIAS teaches chokes on his FIAS sponsored training camps.
It is true that it is not the specialty of many sambist because you cannot use them in competition, but I put the example of slams in BJJ as an analogy: assuming any BJJ purple belt and up is not aware or does not know how to avoid getting slammed is just not true or he is an ultra specialized BJJer who has gaping holes in his formation.
Wrestlers can apply chokes while kidding around, but it is very different from training and applying in a competitive scenario.

And yes, a bjj guy can get careless about the threat of a slam, but it is a rather easy fix (hooking the outside arm or leg). Now going from sport sambo to submission grappling is a whole different positional game with dozens of chokes note
done in sport sambo.

Wrestlers can apply chokes while kidding around, but it is very different from training and applying in a competitive scenario.
You have to admit, the blood-chokes from wrestling are some of the deadliest chokes out there. The Schulz front headlock that Fedzaev (sp) choked out Kenny Monday with, the chokes the Simmons brothers used throughout high school, college and international competition, you have a plethora of great chokes that are part of the wrestling game, although it does depend on the leniency of the referees to some extent. It is not surprise that the Anaconda choke came from luta livre, because it is basically a variation of those sorts of front headlocks. It'd even be legal in wrestling, given that you have an arm in.

I think people grossly underrate the level of skill at the upper echelons of sport sambo, in part because when they think of sambo, they just think of Combat Sambo and because fewer legitimate sport sambo stars crossover into MMA. That's my hypothesis anyways.

I think people grossly underrate the level of skill at the upper echelons of sport sambo, in part because when they think of sambo, they just think of Combat Sambo and because fewer legitimate sport sambo stars crossover into MMA. That's my hypothesis anyways.

Minakov is one of the few examples of sport Sambo people moving to MMA.

It indeed does not happen often. There are many reasons, but the main one being that in eastern Europe and Central Asia (the countries with the most developed Sambo), Sambo is a scholastic sport in its base. You will struggle to find any sambist who does not have at least a bachelor's degree and a "side" professional career.
So the successful sambists can get a salary/stipend/scholarship, bonuses, sometimes even a car and housing and then get a coaching job and make a decent living or move on their professional lives. The not so successful ones can move on to their professional career right away or on parallel to their training and competition.

Getting into MMA, which for the first few years means fighting four times a year in the local and regional circuits against Mongolian, Dagestani, chechen, Russian, Bulgarian, combat Sambo/kudo/mma champions... For a couple hundred dollars each time... No thanks.

Gaethje is gonna sleep Khabib I think.

He seems like such a savage striker and he's a D1 wrestler. Khabib won't be able to take him down easy if/when he gets hit

Khabib easily took him down. D1 isn't the end-all be-all of grappling. It's like Gold Gloves in boxing. Amateur.

Mounted triangle(and all triangle for that matter) are a big part of my game and surprisingly it's because of two things. Demian Maia against Chael Sonnen and a video I watched ten years ago of Rener and Ryron Gracie discussing mounted triangle variations.

I think it is not that much attempted in MMA because it concedes the top position.

It indeed does not happen often. There are many reasons, but the main one being that in eastern Europe and Central Asia (the countries with the most developed Sambo), Sambo is a scholastic sport in its base. You will struggle to find any sambist who does not have at least a bachelor's degree and a "side" professional career.
So the successful sambists can get a salary/stipend/scholarship, bonuses, sometimes even a car and housing and then get a coaching job and make a decent living or move on their professional lives. The not so successful ones can move on to their professional career right away or on parallel to their training and competition.

Getting into MMA, which for the first few years means fighting four times a year in the local and regional circuits against Mongolian, Dagestani, chechen, Russian, Bulgarian, combat Sambo/kudo/mma champions... For a couple hundred dollars each time... No thanks.

sambo is small and in Europe the sport with national interest is inside the Olympic games.

If they are super good in Sambo they will likely have dedicate themselves to Judo If they are good enough because its an Olympic sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back