News Khabib's manager - Khabib's next fight might not be Ferguson. I'd rather see GSP figth

He's on the next level :D

DaHTGnEVAAAPSFn.jpg:large
That's quite the Brazzers poster. Ali being passed around like a gravy bowl at Thanksgiving.

He's not wrong about GSP being the harder fight, stylistically.

His manager, who likely gets a % of Khaib's purses, wants the more lucrative opponent, who has one fight in the last 6 years...2 weight classes up from the one in question? I'm stunned.

This isn't 2010 GSP. I don't think Khabib's team really thinks a GSP that has never had to cut to 155, has one fight in 6 years, and who's had a bunch of knee surgeries and is 38 or 39 years old is actually a bigger threat than Tony. I don't think they believe that for a second.
GSP had 2 knee surgeries which isn't a bunch. GSP is 38 (May 1981) Tony is 35 (Feb 1984) so not all that much different. Tony is a very good fighter GSP is the GOAT WW and arguably GOAT of GOATs, that is a big difference.

Tony is a good striker with a TD defense of 75%
the best wrestler he faced was Kevin Lee who went 3 of 6 and passed guard twice. the second best wrestler he faced was RDA who isn't a wrestler.
GSP is a good striker with a TD defense of 83%
He beat Koscheck 2x and went 2 for 2 on TDs in the first fight, He had 4 of 9 TDs in the second fight. He took down Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Hendricks, Trigg and even Karo Parisian six times.

Tony isn't much of a TD threat to Khabib and GSP is. Getting taken down is the one thing that hasn't happened to Khabib. Tony was 200.4 lbs just days after his Kevin Lee fight and GSP walks around at 192 lbs. Khabib walks around between 180-190 lbs out of fight camp so it isn't like GSP would be attempting a cut that has never been done before.

Tony deserves the title shot and if Khabib wins it he Deserves the GSP fight for the challenge and the money but I can understand why they would want the GSP fight.

Khabib's Russian manager Rizvan Magomedov did a big interview that was released yesterday where he talks about a lot. I'll just translate the stuff related to Khabib's upcoming fight. But it's a good interview for those of you who speak Russian.

Unfortunately I have some bad news, the Ferguson fight might not be next :(.

Timestamped:

- When can we expect Khabib's next fight. In his interview to Channel 1 he said that it's 80% chance that his next fight will be in Russia. How, where, how?

There are negotiations regarding this right now, it's a tournament that might take place in Moscow in march or april. We are only starting these negotiations so i can't say anything for certain at the moment, but ye we are working on this and the next fight might be in Moscow or St. Petersburg.

- So the next opponent for Khabib is Tony Ferguson?

Khabib's next opponent is .... GSP or Tony Ferguson.

- Rizvan from a fans point of view, if we try to be objective, don't you think that Tony with his record and his performances has deserved this fight? Where is Tony, who is going on a big winning streak and where is GSP who is... (get's interrupted)

Whos is also going on a winning streak! And has two titles!

- With all due respect, with all due respect to GSP, he has retired and hasn't competed for a long time.

He left undefeated, he left uninjured, he left on a winning streak of 13 fights. He cleared out his division, he defended his title many times.

I see absolutely no bias or absurdity in this, it's a huge fight. Stylistically GSP is a lot harder opponent for Khabib that Tony Ferguson. A lot!

- What fight would you personally prefer first?

GSP fight of course....

Listen! I am making this announcement on camera, remember this. If the Tony Ferguson fight happens, the next day after the fight, everything will change. Everything will change quickly and everyone will forget all these statements that Tony will do this and Tony will do that. Styles make fights and stylistically Khabib is a nightmare for him. Everything will be put in its place in that fight. People will be talking about how he really was weak, you know like they always do.

- That happens to anyone Khabib beats, "Conor was out of shape", "Poirier was not on his level", there will always be some excuses.

I told this before, that styles make fights and Khabib is the worst opponent for him.
-----------

Well, there it is.

Abdelaziz said in a recent interview that Khabib wants GSP next and it seems like his Russian managers seems to think the same. I guess

This is no good news, but nothing is set in stone yet. Khabib will make his next public appearance att Synergy Forum, that is organised by a Russian billionaire in St. Petersburg 5th of October. We'll have to wait for his public announcement about the future plans.

taling about gsp is fake news cause there this little thing called not being in the testing pool meaning gsp couldnt fight for 6 months when reentering.

until gsp does that than it not worth talking about it. yes khabib might want to fight gsp but the rules dont allow it now.

Abdelaziz handles UFC. Rizvan handles his affairs in Russia, sponsorships, appearances, commercials etc.

so him talking about who he fight next is meaningless since he doesnt know anything about the rules.

His manager, who likely gets a % of Khaib's purses, wants the more lucrative opponent, who has one fight in the last 6 years...2 weight classes up from the one in question? I'm stunned.

This isn't 2010 GSP. I don't think Khabib's team really thinks a GSP that has never had to cut to 155, has one fight in 6 years, and who's had a bunch of knee surgeries and is 38 or 39 years old is actually a bigger threat than Tony. I don't think they believe that for a second.

They do. GSP is basically his dad's MMA role model. He calls GSP the professor. As someone mentioned to you earlier, GSP is a goat, possibly THE goat. It shouldn't surprise you that people regard him so highly, even now.

Ducking Ferguson to fight the UFC GOAT..

Sound logic.

Dude, you know I respect you but this is 2020 GSP we are talking about.

1. GSP will be 38 or 39 by spring (can't remember which).
2. GSP has NEVER had to cut to 155. So now he's cutting to a weight he's never made and he's doing it for the first time at almost 40?
3. He's had a bunch of knee surgeries. Not minor ones, I'm talking reconstruction from torn ACL. I've torn mine twice, it's not a small thing.
4. He has one, ONE fight in the last six, SIX years. And it was at freaking middleweight.

And with Tony, we aren't talking about your run of the mill contender on a 4 fight win streak. The guy has won TWELVE fights in a row. 9 finishes. The official start of MMA I think we'd agree was 1993 and UFC 1, right? So since then, how many guys (all weight classes) have accomplished that?

This isn't like an Israel Adesanya or an Aljamain Sterling getting bypassed if Tony gets skipped over for the money fight. This is a guy on a historic streak, who's getting to the point where his physical prime is nearing the end.

They do. GSP is basically his dad's MMA role model. He calls GSP the professor.

I just don't believe that. 2010-2011 GSP, absolutely. The current one? No way.

I can't read their minds obviously. I'm just telling you I straight up don't believe them when they say it.

I just don't believe that. 2010-2011 GSP, absolutely. The current one? No way.

I can't read their minds obviously. I'm just telling you I straight up don't believe them when they say it.

I believe that current GSP is the tougher fight for Khabib, and I'm not alone. I don't find it hard to believe that khabib's people might think this. GSP didn't go out like silva or Penn. He left on top and he takes care of himself better than just about anyone. It's also about styles, and GSP's style is just a much, much harder style for Khabib to beat on paper.

GSP had 2 knee surgeries which isn't a bunch. GSP is 38 (May 1981) Tony is 35 (Feb 1984) so not all that much different. Tony is a very good fighter GSP is the GOAT WW and arguably GOAT of GOATs, that is a big difference.

Tony is a good striker with a TD defense of 75%
the best wrestler he faced was Kevin Lee who went 3 of 6 and passed guard twice. the second best wrestler he faced was RDA who isn't a wrestler.
GSP is a good striker with a TD defense of 83%
He beat Koscheck 2x and went 2 for 2 on TDs in the first fight, He had 4 of 9 TDs in the second fight. He took down Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Hendricks, Trigg and even Karo Parisian six times.

Tony isn't much of a TD threat to Khabib and GSP is. Getting taken down is the one thing that hasn't happened to Khabib. Tony was 200.4 lbs just days after his Kevin Lee fight and GSP walks around at 192 lbs. Khabib walks around between 180-190 lbs out of fight camp so it isn't like GSP would be attempting a cut that has never been done before.

Tony deserves the title shot and if Khabib wins it he Deserves the GSP fight for the challenge and the money but I can understand why they would want the GSP fight.

2 major knee surgeries. I've had ACL reconstruction twice too. The second time I stopped fighting and training. I had one fight, and after my 2nd ACL tear I was done. (Yes, I'm well aware I'm not GSP LOL).

All of your stats you are quoting are great, but don't really matter here because of GSP's inactivity. GSP will basically be 39 by spring when they are talking about this potential fight. In this game, the difference between 36 and 39 actually is a big deal. And again, it's a weight cut that HE has never made. And it's harder to cut that weight the older you get.

Also, Khabib has been taken down. Watch the Trujillo fight. Khabib is very good off his back, a lot of people don't realize it.

Tony posted a pic of feet on a scale. We have no idea if he was holding something or anything to make the scale say that. That could easily just be Tony messing with people.

The fighter most likely to shrug off takedowns is the one who poses the bigger threat and even at 38, GSP is clearly that guy.

You keep throwing his age around like his wrestling has magically disappeared over the past 2 years. That ability doesn't just vanish. DC is 40 with multiple injuries and constantly throwing his back out and is still the best wrestler in his division. Romero is 40 as well. You have to give the GOAT the benefit of the doubt.

All that said, it doesn't matter. Tony is clearly next.

I believe that current GSP is the tougher fight for Khabib, and I'm not alone. I don't find it hard to believe that khabib's people might think this. GSP didn't go out like silva or Penn. He left on top and he takes care of himself better than just about anyone. It's also about styles, and GSP's style is just a much, much harder style for Khabib to beat on paper.

GSP should have lost that Hendricks fight, he was extremely lucky to "go out on top" (as it pertains to WW ). This is coming from a guy who was a HUGE fan of GSP. I had the freaking Affliction "Rush" t shirt LOL.

I respect that you might think he's the tougher fight, I just think it's ridiculous for the reasons I've laid out in other posts in this thread. And I absolutely don't think Khabib's camp believes it. Just my opinion.

The fighter most likely to shrug off takedowns is the one who poses the bigger threat and even at 38, GSP is clearly that guy.

You keep throwing his age around like his wrestling has magically disappeared over the past 2 years. That ability doesn't just vanish. DC is 40 with multiple injuries and constantly throwing his back out and is still the best wrestler in his division. You have to give the GOAT the benefit of the doubt.

All that said, it doesn't matter. Tony is clearly next.

DC also started MMA like a decade after GSP. Mileage matters too. As does inactivity, GSP has one fight in SIX YEARS. And it was at middleweight. And now we're talking about him cutting to a weight he's never had to cut to, and doing at age 39.

Dude, you know I respect you but this is 2020 GSP we are talking about.

1. GSP will be 38 or 39 by spring (can't remember which).
2. GSP has NEVER had to cut to 155. So now he's cutting to a weight he's never made and he's doing it for the first time at almost 40?
3. He's had a bunch of knee surgeries. Not minor ones, I'm talking reconstruction from torn ACL. I've torn mine twice, it's not a small thing.
4. He has one, ONE fight in the last six, SIX years. And it was at freaking middleweight.

And with Tony, we aren't talking about your run of the mill contender on a 4 fight win streak. The guy has won TWELVE fights in a row. 9 finishes. The official start of MMA I think we'd agree was 1993 and UFC 1, right? So since then, how many guys (all weight classes) have accomplished that?

This isn't like an Israel Adesanya or an Aljamain Sterling getting bypassed if Tony gets skipped over for the money fight. This is a guy on a historic streak, who's getting to the point where his physical prime is nearing the end.
I don't disagree with the majority of your post.. Tony deserves the fight, and I expect it will happen.

However, I don't get the assertion that Khabib is somehow ducking Ferugson, to fight GSP. The cut to 155 is a unknown granted, however GSP clearly wouldn't do it unless he has attempted test cuts in the past and has a idea of what he feels like at that weight..

Also, GSP is Khabib's idol. I can understand why the fight interests him, it would be a massive boost to his legacy if he can beat GSP, even now. If he hasn't dramatically declined since the Bisping fight and he feels comfortable with the cut, even at this stage GSP is still a threat..

Anyway, I expect Dana to refuse any notion of GSP recieving another title shot, and we've yet to actually hear from Khabib. He only mentioned Ferugson in the run-up to the Poirier matchup.. this might just be smoke and mirrors from Ali and Rizvan.

Not that interested in seeing Khabib fight Gsp but if he does I hope he beats him. If Khabib wins Gsp was old and out of his element at 155 and would never beat a prime George at 170. That's what we'll hear and I'm not saying it would be wrong but atleast the fight with Tony there wouldn't be any questions. That's a bigger fight imo and needs to happen before either one is derailed.

GSP should have lost that Hendricks fight, he was extremely lucky to "go out on top" (as it pertains to WW ). This is coming from a guy who was a HUGE fan of GSP. I had the freaking Affliction "Rush" t shirt LOL.

I respect that you might think he's the tougher fight, I just think it's ridiculous for the reasons I've laid out in other posts in this thread. And I absolutely don't think Khabib's camp believes it. Just my opinion.

giphy.gif

GSP, 1,3 and 5

I know you think it's ridiculous, but I don't understand why you can't accept that people believe it. I've seen many people saying the same exact things, hell other people in this thread have said it to you...not just me....You have to also take into consideration that Khabib is a GSP fanboy, so maybe he's not thinking logically, but I guarantee that he thinks GSP is the hardest fight, even now.

I don't disagree with the majority of your post.. Tony deserves the fight, and I expect it will happen.

However, I don't get the assertion that Khabib is somehow ducking Ferugson, to fight GSP. The cut to 155 is a unknown granted, however GSP clearly wouldn't do it unless he has attempted test cuts in the past and has a idea of what he feels like at that weight..

Also, GSP is Khabib's idol. I can understand why the fight interests him, it would be a massive boost to his legacy if he can beat GSP, even now. If he hasn't dramatically declined since the Bisping fight and he feels comfortable with the cut, even at this stage GSP is still a threat..

Anyway, I expect Dana to refuse any notion of GSP recieving another title shot, and we've yet to actually hear from Khabib. He only mentioned Ferugson in the run-up to the Poirier matchup.. this might just be smoke and mirrors from Ali and Rizvan.

To be clear, I hate the word "ducking". He wouldn't be "ducking" Tony as much as chasing the bigger money fight with the bigger name guy. I have no problem with him wanting the GSP fight for all the reasons you listed. But (as you also said) can we just get this Tony fight done first please? If Khabib beats Tony (some of you guys think it's almost a foregone conclusion, I strongly disagree but that doesn't really matter here) then sure, do the GSP fight. If Tony beats Khabib, it's likely an extremely lucrative rematch.

Back