Khabib's Dad believes his son can beat Mayweather with Tyson and Lomachenko Sr training him

It's what dads are supposed to think. Why is this news?

3 minute rounds with a 1 minute break inbetween. versus 5, 5 minute rounds of grappling heavy fighting. I think Khabib will be just fine in a boxing ring, unless he's getting hurt with strikes. So far he's shown he can take punches and kicks to the face and body.

The action in grappling is not always progressive. You can at times hold, and stall. People do it all the time. I spoke on VO2max as it compared to boxing, and wrestling for nationally and internationally ranked amateurs. Their scores are comparable, why? Because the oxygen demands are apparently comparable. A cyclist, cross country skier or long distance runner would blow both sports out of the water for VO2max. In fact, the highest VO2max on record is held by a cross country skier. Why? Because the oxygen demands are apparently greater at the elite level.

I'm not here to say that one is more demanding than the other. I think it would be foolish to say that. In my personal experience they are both hard for different reasons. What I'm saying is that for you to try and determine you think wrestling is more taxing than boxing is not backed by anything, unless you have evidence to present.

I don't think Khabib would have the technical ability to handle anyone in his weight at the elite level of boxing. He is a phenomenal athlete but his wrestling background or even MMA background does not equal success in the top tier of boxing.

No worst that Connor fans actually thinking he had a chance against Floyd.

Wait they thought he was going to KO Floyd LOL

Khabib > Connor so I guess he’d be a better matchup for Floyd, but nobody in MMA can box with Floyd, hell nobody in boxing can

deep down nobody that knows anything about combat sports gave Conor a chance. and Khabib isn't a better striker than Conor. we arnt talking about some amateur boxer (who khabib would lose to also), were talking about possibly the greatest boxer of all time. Khabib nor Conor nor any mma fighter would have a chance in a boxing match

The action in grappling is not always progressive. You can at times hold, and stall. People do it all the time. I spoke on VO2max as it compared to boxing, and wrestling for nationally and internationally ranked amateurs. Their scores are comparable, why? Because the oxygen demands are apparently comparable. A cyclist, cross country skier or long distance runner would blow both sports out of the water for VO2max. In fact, the highest VO2max on record is held by a cross country skier. Why? Because the oxygen demands are apparently greater at the elite level.

I'm not here to say that one is more demanding than the other. I think it would be foolish to say that. In my personal experience they are both hard for different reasons. What I'm saying is that for you to try and determine you think wrestling is more taxing than boxing is not backed by anything, unless you have evidence to present.

I don't think Khabib would have the technical ability to handle anyone in his weight at the elite level of boxing. He is a phenomenal athlete but his wrestling background or even MMA background does not equal success in the top tier of boxing.
Wrestling is more demanding. It involves all your muscle groups. There is defintely more stalling and breaks in boxing. Look how clinces are handled for reference. Im not saying boxing is easy, but anyone that can fight mostly using grappling for 25 minutes consistently should be able to handle 12 rounds of striking. VO2 references doesnt prove anything. That has more to do with Lung capacity and O2 saturation. The main key is how much damage he'd take and if he could hold up through the course of the match.

Floyd Conor mma boxing crossover freakshow fight was an interesting snack but we don't want it for a steady diet

Wrestling is more demanding. It involves all your muscle groups. There is defintely more stalling and breaks in boxing. Look how clinces are handled for reference. Im not saying boxing is easy, but anyone that can fight mostly using grappling for 25 minutes consistently should be able to handle 12 rounds of striking.

How is it more demanding? I'm guessing you're referring to anaerobically? Boxing involves all of your muscle groups. You generate power, and torque from the ground up and chain the motion together to deliver punches. I've compared their gas tanks, and that's not even including 12 round fighters who I think it's safe to believe their VO2s are higher.

We can compare force produced.

Here are excerpts from an article concerning boxing, and what they generate in terms of power:

"A boxer’s hand speed can reach around eight to 10 metres per second, which is almost equivalent to a top-level 100m sprinter."

"“At peak force where boxers have been asked to punch a target for a scientific experiment they will produce about 3,000 Newtons,”

“It’s fairly hard to compare between different sports, but a rugby tackle peak force is about 1,500 Newtons and that is also similar to the acceleration phase in sprinting. The big backhand right that Joshua throws to knock people out will be more than three times that. It’s a lot of force going through there.”
(https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/04/27/heavyweight-punch-brutal-weapon-sport/)

Here are a few examples of grappling:

A shoulder throw was able to generate an average force of 120.4 newtons over 0.74 seconds, with an average Impulse of 89.0 newton-second.

The hip throw (with the thrower landing on top of the thrown) generated an average force of 158.9 newtons over 0.63 seconds with an average Impulse of 100.1 newton-second.

The leg throw, or power trip (osoto-gari), had an average force of 156.3 newtons over 0.73 seconds with an average Impulse: 113.0 newton-seconds
(https://evolve-mma.com/blog/the-science-of-a-takedown/)

As far as clinching? Although it is largely dependent on the referee, you can get penalized for holding in boxing.

12 rounds of striking and 12 rounds of elite boxing are not the same thing.
Granted each match is different, to say one is more taxing I think would be an unfair assessment.

41nvkwg1GCL.jpg

You get penalized for stalling in wrestling and stalemates result in resets. In boxing you can basically get on your bike and avoid all conflict. There is more to just take downs in wrestling you have to work to maintain control or escapes/reversals. There is a lot of isotonic and isometric exertion. Boxing requires a different kind of toughness. There are a lot of pro boxers who take the first few rounds light. You cant do that in grappling at any point.

You can think what you want about either sport. I've stated my opinion and really have no interest in arguing with you.

Last edited:
You get penalized for stalling in wrestling and stalemates result in resets. In boxing you can basically get on your bike and avoid all conflict. There is more to just take downs in wrestling you have to work to maintain control or escapes/reversals. There is a lot of isotonic and isometric exertion. Boxing requires a different kind of toughness.

You can think what you want about either sport. I've stated my opinion and really have no interest in arguing with you.

Yes you can get called for stalling in wrestling. Yes there can be a reset. There is more than just "get on your bike and avoid all conflict" in boxing. If your opponent can't cut off the ring then he failed and is doing a poor job at his game. You have to fight off the ropes, and out of the corner, you have to recover from heavy shots to the head, and being on the backfoot. This is not taxing?

Each requires the same principles, and have crossover so how can we say one is harder? I believe people may like one more. I don't wish to argue either but the statement you made invited a reply. I simply wanted to challenge your train of thought, maybe you could have provided me with some insight.

I would invite any data to compare the two.

From personal experience, trying to bridge out of a pin is a pain, just as is fighting off the back foot to keep your head from getting knocked off of your shoulders. I'd rather be getting whooped in a wrestling match than a boxing match that's for sure lol.

I respect your opinion, I don't agree, but I respect it. Fair play.

I would watch. The battle of A-level athletes. Khabib has obvious advantages against Floyd, conditioning and physicality takes you very far in combat sports
Well conditioning is probably a non factor cause Floyd is pretty much the king of conditioning in boxing. He forces you to be better than him, and almost nobody can be.

Yes you can get called for stalling in wrestling. Yes there can be a reset. There is more than just "get on your bike and avoid all conflict" in boxing. If your opponent can't cut off the ring then he failed and is doing a poor job at his game. You have to fight off the ropes, and out of the corner, you have to recover from heavy shots to the head, and being on the backfoot. This is not taxing?

Each requires the same principles, and have crossover so how can we say one is harder? I believe people may like one more. I don't wish to argue either but the statement you made invited a reply. I simply wanted to challenge your train of thought, maybe you could have provided me with some insight.

I would invite any data to compare the two.

From personal experience, trying to bridge out of a pin is a pain, just as is fighting off the back foot to keep your head from getting knocked off of your shoulders. I'd rather be getting whooped in a wrestling match than a boxing match that's for sure lol.

I respect your opinion, I don't agree, but I respect it. Fair play.
Like I said, its a different kind of toughness. I stand by my point that a high level wrestler/grappler shouldnt have cardio issues for boxing rounds. It's why so many excell in MMA in this regard (grappling with the striking component added). Also, in pure grappling matches you dont get a break to drink water between rounds, and they dont come as frequently.

The main factor that changes everything is if you can take getting hit for boxing.

LOL Canelo couldn't do it but Khabib would? Go to bed Khabib's dad, you're drunk.

Like I said, its a different kind of toughness. I stand by my point that a high level wrestler/grappler shouldnt have cardio issues for boxing rounds. It's why so many excell in MMA in this regard (grappling with the striking component added). Also, in pure grappling matches you dont get a break to drink water between rounds, and they dont come as frequently. There is always the factor of getting hurt which changes everything.

That is your prediction. I can't knock you for it. If you could show me one study where they researched the body's response to elite pro boxing v elite wrestling to support that wrestling was "more taxing" I would gladly concede to you. If you could show me one study where they concluded that wrestling was a more demanding sport than boxing then you win this debate, and I'll admit you got the better of me. Until then, we just have different views.

That is your prediction. I can't knock you for it. If you could show me one study where they researched the body's response to elite pro boxing v elite wrestling to support that wrestling was "more taxing" I would gladly concede to you. If you could show me one study where they concluded that wrestling was a more demanding sport than boxing then you win this debate, and I'll admit you got the better of me. Until then, we just have different views.
There was no debate. I stated Khabib has proven cardio and could do 12 rounds of boxing. You found an issue with that and argued it.

Grappling is taxing in a different way. It requires more physical demands, using your whole body to control another person as opposed to punch and avoid being punched. It doesnt need to be explained by science. And really, it all depends on the level of competition.

There was no debate. I stated Khabib has proven cardio and could do 12 rounds of boxing. You found an issue with that and argued it.

Grappling is taxing in a different way. It requires more physical demands, using your whole body to control another person as opposed to punch and avoid being punched. It doesnt need to be explained by science. And really, it all depends on the level of competition.

This is what I responded to:

"Wrestling/Grappling for 25 minutes is more taxing than throwing punches".

My argument was based off of this statement.

If something can't be backed by science then it is rooted in speculation. You are speculating and that's fine. I just challenged your speculation, and wanted to see if you could defend it. I respect your opinion.

This is what I responded to:

"Wrestling/Grappling for 25 minutes is more taxing than throwing punches".

My argument was based off of this statement.

If something can't be backed by science then it is rooted in speculation. You are speculating and that's fine. I just challenged your speculation, and wanted to see if you could defend it. I respect your opinion.
It's backed by physiology which is science. I explained how grappling involves the whole body and you argued punch mechanics. Look at the body types grapplers develop compared to boxers. Let's be honest, if you respected my opinion you wouldnt be arguing it.

Back