Khabib vs McGregor won't be close

Also does anyone expect Connor to be the same fighter? Long lay off, lots of partying, lack of motivation? It’s very possible that that he won’t be

I agree. If you asked me who takes it 6 months ago, I say Khabib without hesitation.
But since his fight vs Al Laquinta, I now think McGregor. I was so far from impressed with Khabib in his last fight, I kinda fear for him. Hopefully that was just an off night, but it hasn't cemented my confidence in him very well.

Khabib knew Al couldn't sleep him and wanted to work/prove his striking against Al, you really think he's gonna try to "prove" that he can stand up with Connor? If your striking wasn't very great, wouldn't you like to experiment with a guy you know can't hurt you in stand up?? Trying to improve your striking against a low or mid level striker is not the same thing as trying to prove your stand up against one of the best knockout artists in the world. Especially when Khabib has the best wrestling in the entire division?

Also does anyone expect Connor to be the same fighter? Long lay off, lots of partying, lack of motivation? It’s very possible that that he won’t be

I think this is what makes this match up EVEN MORE intriguing. I'm not a fan of Mcgregor but it'd be amazing to see if he has taken all this time off and just took a break, or if he's been secretly training hard to further improve his skills. We will find out that night.

Khabib knew Al couldn't sleep him and wanted to work/prove his striking against Al, you really think he's gonna try to "prove" that he can stand up with Connor? If your striking wasn't very great, wouldn't you like to experiment with a guy you know can't hurt you in stand up?? Trying to improve your striking against a low or mid level striker is not the same thing as trying to prove your stand up against one of the best knockout artists in the world. Especially when Khabib has the best wrestling in the entire division?

Best ground in the entire division and yet, whilst he dominated Al Iquinta, he didn't finish him.
I'm just saying, since that fight, my confidence in Khabib has disappeared slightly.

I want mcgregor vs Ferguson. Now that will be a fckin war! Tony should be lined up for the winner

I don't think they want Tony as champ. I think they are having a hard time marketing/promoting him for some reason. Why didn't they offer him the Diaz fight? Diaz, Khabib, and Conor are who they want as champ.

Poirer and Ferguson are the least marketable yet most deserving of a title shot. The UFC is in a strange situation where they can't pair them to fight because it would destroy both contenders, but have to wait a long time for their turn in line for the lightweight title. So what do they do?

You can fight people less skilled and possibly lose and not move up the ladder. You could wait around and not fight but it's not predetermined for how long you will have to wait. Poirer is in the prime of his career, but the timing is just horrible for him.

I think this is what makes this match up EVEN MORE intriguing. I'm not a fan of Mcgregor but it'd be amazing to see if he has taken all this time off and just took a break, or if he's been secretly training hard to further improve his skills. We will find out that night.

I don’t think he’ll take the challenge lightly but he won’t have the same motivations as before otherwise he’d have come back much sooner imo. I’d have this as a 50/50 2 years ago, but I think khabib will make short work of him.

Best ground in the entire division and yet, whilst he dominated Al Iquinta, he didn't finish him.
I'm just saying, since that fight, my confidence in Khabib has disappeared slightly.

I totally understand your POV. It also adds to the confusion that Khabib says he didn't finish the fight on purpose because he wanted to see if he could go 5 rounds. But ground/grappling isn't the same as "ground and pound." Fedor had monstrous GnP compared to Khabib. Khabib has really good top control and it's his GnP helps "suffocate" the opponent faster. My point is that I don't think Khabib has great GnP but he mixes it in very well with his top control and it literally sucks the life out of his opponents.

Rather than focus solely on GnP, or focus solely on top control, he does both and keeps switching it up and keeping his opponent guessing. His GnP seems to be more of a mindf**k than pure agression. Barboza is a good example of this. He just looked very confused/mentally drained

dont-touch-my-precious.jpg

tenor.gif

I don't think they want Tony as champ. I think they are having a hard time marketing/promoting him for some reason. Why didn't they offer him the Diaz fight? Diaz, Khabib, and Conor are who they want as champ.

Poirer and Ferguson are the least marketable yet most deserving of a title shot. The UFC is in a strange situation where they can't pair them to fight because it would destroy both contenders, but have to wait a long time for their turn in line for the lightweight title. So what do they do?

You can fight people less skilled and possibly lose and not move up the ladder. You could wait around and not fight but it's not predetermined for how long you will have to wait. Poirer is in the prime of his career, but the timing is just horrible for him.

Yeah I think your right.

Conor vs Tony is one of the few fights I could really get excited about. It would be a fckin war for as long as long it lasts. Definately favour Ferguson in that fight. After seeing how much Connor struggled with Diaz, I think Tony gives him some similar problems, but is just that bit more spiteful. I’ve come to terms with the fact that the fight will never likeky happen

I don’t think he’ll take the challenge lightly but he won’t have the same motivations as before otherwise he’d have come back much sooner imo. I’d have this as a 50/50 2 years ago, but I think khabib will make short work of him.

I agree that Khabib will beat him. But imagine if Connor comes off a 2 year lay off and still knocks out Khabib? The GOAT talk will be unbearable in this forum haha.

The one thing that I keep thinknig of is that i the one of the biggest fights of all time. The best grappler vs striker match up ever imo. So wouldn't Connor be super motivated to prove he's the best? This is the one fight that will cement his place in history. Although he gets paid less, It has more historical significance than the Mayweather fight. The Alvarez fight was whatever and he didn't defend, but no one has beat Khabib.

If connor wins, he becomes the best lightweight of all time along with BJ Penn.

I think that's why Kevin Lee talks so much about a 165 division. He's well aware this shitshow at LW witth Connor coming back ain't gonna go away any time soon and he won't be getting a title shot any time soon.

Yeah I think your right.

Conor vs Tony is one of the few fights I could really get excited about. It would be a fckin war for as long as long it lasts. Definately favour Ferguson in that fight. After seeing how much Connor struggled with Diaz, I think Tony gives him some similar problems, but is just that bit more spiteful. I’ve come to terms with the fact that the fight will never likeky happen

The UFC used to love wars. Do you know the exact point where they stopped "putting them" togethor? The night of Macdonald vs Lawler. They essentially ruined each other's career with that war and the UFC lost a lot of potential money. Both got thrown out the title picture soon after and haven't been the same. I think the UFC is looking to make as much money as possible and keep the fighters as preserved as possible. Occasionally they'll throw us a bone like Alvarez vs Poirer, but I believe the best hardest dream fights are all unicorns nowdays...

I totally understand your POV. It also adds to the confusion that Khabib says he didn't finish the fight on purpose because he wanted to see if he could go 5 rounds. But ground/grappling isn't the same as "ground and pound." Fedor had monstrous GnP compared to Khabib. Khabib has really good top control and it's his GnP helps "suffocate" the opponent faster. My point is that I don't think Khabib has great GnP but he mixes it in very well with his top control and it literally sucks the life out of his opponents.

Rather than focus solely on GnP, or focus solely on top control, he does both and keeps switching it up and keeping his opponent guessing. His GnP seems to be more of a mindf**k than pure agression. Barboza is a good example of this. He just looked very confused/mentally drained

Yeah, I agree with all of that. Khabib makes his opponents wear a 155lb back pack for the entire fight

I think that's why Kevin Lee talks so much about a 165 division. He's well aware this shitshow at LW witth Connor coming back ain't gonna go away any time soon and he won't be getting a title shot any time soon.

1. Tony = Inerim Lightweight
2. Khabib = champ
3. Poirer = beat alvarez
4. Diaz = marketable/famous
5. Lee = no clue what to do, and no oppurtnities in the near future

No there’s two other distinct possibilities, 1. Khabib dominates wrestling the first half of the fight but can’t finish it, then after getting a little tired can’t get takedowns and McG starts boxing him up 2. Or McG maybe boxes him up the first round or two and then gassed badly and spends the rest of the fight on his back getting beat up.
Option 2 is possible. Option 1 extremely unlikely. Way more tiring to be the guy on bottom, trying escapes, getting punched in the face repeatedly. I don't see how a Khabib who dominates the wrestling could possibly have less cardio than a Conor getting dominated by wrestling.

After spending a year intensely training boxing and facing the top boxer in the world, his fists will be on a new level. Since then he has been concentrating on wrestling and JJ. Khabib is fucked.

Lol @ you noobs actually thinking Khabib will show up to this fight.

Totally agree. This, this here is a special fight. It’s so rare that two of the best in a division, with star power, and still in their prime meet. It’s truly going to be exciting. I love both of these fighters.

Either Conor is gonna to clip Khabib early or Khabib is just going to slowly murder Conor ground and pound style. If so, I can imagine Khabib making an example out of Conor. He can just pounds Conor’s body while talking shit to him and probability to Dana between rounds as well. As a Conor fan, it’ll probably be a sad day.

Back