Media Khabib-isms: Tales of The Eagle - Deciphering what's true and what's urban legend?

Yup like i said earlier @BusterBarry (maybe he is not fluent in the language, cut him some slack)

Here, check this out @Peli , this is one of them:

Josh get into more datails about said encounter with Munoz and what happened to him

Nah brother @Peli is as American as you can get lol

Or he might be canadian tho now that I am thinking about :eek:

Neither said he lost, Josh meant he "Lost it" as in lost his cool and got angry
He talked about it multiple times in other podcasts (something along the line that Khabib went savage on the guy and really beat him up for real)
Pretty much something similar to what Orlando Sanchez did recently, Only instead of a back fist and a push kick, he put a real beating on him that the guys at AKA stayed away like no one wanted any of that flare (Javier in your link mention that it was one of the instances were he wasn't able to reach him)
Khabib was training for his next fight and the Kickboxer tried to go rough, Khabib got angry and put a scary beating on him
I think Luke or DC talked about it too, that Conor didn't know what he was missing with and he could get really hurt, that he didn't know what Khabib can be when he get really mad.
Ahh ok. That makes sense. He was lost his temper. I thought he was talking about he had lost. I'll edit that out when I have the time.

But I think that story is bullshit. I think he's lost a session or lost a round other than Islam.

Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Are there or are they not grappling with high level talent?

I think Khabib would be submitted if he went to abu-dhabi bjj. Under those rulesets, I think he gets submitted, but in a mixed ruleset or just open ruling, I don't know why it sounds plausible to me. When Michael Chandler says it, I believe him too. We haven't seen it. Chandler says he's never trained bjj in a gi ever in his life either.
When you dont train with high level talent you will never get as good as Khabib. Ofc he has been submitted and so has Islam. Everything else is promotion and maybe training partners with very selective memory.
Looking at Khabibs skills is likely he isnt been submitted often, but has happened 100% even later in hid career.

Great post btw. I think its very rare to see people trying to get behind those "urban myths". Would be interesting to do the samee with Islam or older fighters like GSP or Silva.

Imagine someone never tapping in practice. That would mean going unconscious from every choke and having every load-bearing joint hyperextended in every session. Obvious fluffing

Or maybe it means he never got to the point of getting tapped, just saying.
That way you dont get chocked and you don't get your arms ripped out. Never tapping goes two ways, going unconcious or never let yourself get in that positioin.

Or maybe it means he never got to the point of getting tapped, just saying.
That way you dont get chocked and you don't get your arms ripped out. Never tapping goes two ways, going unconcious or never let yourself get in that positioin.

What kind of training is it if you're never in a bad position, though?

When you dont train with high level talent you will never get as good as Khabib. Ofc he has been submitted and so has Islam. Everything else is promotion and maybe training partners with very selective memory.
Looking at Khabibs skills is likely he isnt been submitted often, but has happened 100% even later in hid career.

Great post btw. I think its very rare to see people trying to get behind those "urban myths". Would be interesting to do the samee with Islam or older fighters like GSP or Silva.
That's fair. So yeah it's BS then. He probably got tapped in am MMA grappling session as well. I just don't believe that he's never lost in the gym

My question is why does Khabib think he could break Gaethje's arm before Gaethje would tap?

It's not like he was going for interior heel hooks.
Gaethje was saying he wouldn't tap and is generally ok with getting fucked up

I remember him saying he never got tapped in competition and noone at aka got him. I'm sure he'll get caught on the rare occasions

What kind of training is it if you're never in a bad position, though?
Getting in bad decisions doesn't guarantee you get subbed. You can be put in a bad position a d work out. In fact, ive seen him work out from deep subs in Training

Edit; meant to reply to the other guy

Anyone claiming they have never been submitted in their lives is full of shit lol
Khabib never claimed that he's never been tapped, Javier did.

I've noticed that at least half the things attributed to Khabib are things someone else says and not directly from him. Dana had everyone on a string telling people Khabib wanted to "see something special" inorder to come back. Khabib never said that, Dana made it up. But Khabib got blamed for being a diva and holding the division up.

Anyone claiming they have never been submitted in their lives is full of shit lol
Coach Javier Mendez that said he never saw Khabib being submitted (while he was training in AKA).

Mendez also laughed it off when he saw Khabib getting caught in Poirier's guillotine, he's confident that Khabib will escape.

Although you can find clip of Khabib in old Sambo competition I think where he was getting caught in a submission, losing both the round and the fight, but he never tapped really, just held onto it until the end of the round.

Someone should just asked Khabib about this directly.
Khabib has 29 pro MMA fights,
and probably hundreds of Sambo + Judo + Pankration + Grappling fights - where he was losing tonnes of them when he was teenager (Abdulmanap wanted Khabib to get used to losing and/or competing from very early on).

I've noticed that at least half the things attributed to Khabib are things someone else says and not directly from him. Dana had everyone on a string telling people Khabib wanted to "see something special" inorder to come back. Khabib never said that, Dana made it up. But Khabib got blamed for being a diva and holding the division up.

But khabib did say he was not interested in rematching dustin, conor, or justin 'I chocked them all'. Dana was Bsing but I think khabib also would have liked a more interesting match up, like GSP but it was never made and Khabib said Ok I am done then.

Khabib have sad it himself...

“Let’s talk about numbers,” Nurmagomedov said at one point. “All my life, nobody make me tap. Nobody. In amateur, training, doesn’t matter — never. Never I’m tired, never make me tap. Never. What are you talking about? About my conditioning? Please calm down.”

http://belowthebeltmma.com/khabib-says-hes-never-been-tapped-before-like-ever/

Except he has. He also claimed he's never been knocked out anywhere in his life and won all his street fights.

I tried to focus on things khabib has said. Not what fans or other people say about him.

Fans think he avoided the GNP to gaethje because of Gaethje's parents was present. That's fan folklore. Khabib never said that. He said he avoided the armbar because of Gaethje's parents.

Fans also say he wasn't hurt by Gaethje's kicks. Those are all fan folklore

Last edited:
But khabib did say he was not interested in rematching dustin, conor, or justin 'I chocked them all'. Dana was Bsing but I think khabib also would have liked a more interesting match up, like GSP but it was never made and Khabib said Ok I am done then.
Khabib clearly stated on multiple occasions that he’s done. It makes no sense to try to read between the lines of his statements, he’s been very blunt. Anything to throw doubt on his retirement has come from Dana not him.

Khabib clearly stated on multiple occasions that he’s done. It makes no sense to try to read between the lines of his statements, he’s been very blunt.

I know he's been blunt, but when he said that he also made it clear he felt he had no other challenges. I am not trying to rewrite what he said.

I know he's been blunt, but when he said that he also made it clear he felt he had no other challenges. I am not trying to rewrite what he said.
He was offered gsp at a catchweight at least that's what I remember reported. Dana wanted no belt. He said no.

I assume that Khabib is talking about never being submitted since he became a UFC fighter in 2011 or so. Which is believable.

Back