Kevin Lee's Problem Is Easily Fixed

How quickly can a fight team fix energy management problems?

• Total voters
fWlx0pt.jpg

You can fix any problem unless you're a dumb fuck.
And here we have Kevin Lee...

He is way too stiff. No flow or rhytm which is weird since he is of the explosive persuasion. Dont think you can fix that this far into his career

Probably doesn't run much. Have to run, and not just on a treadmill either...period.

He was dominant against Edson Barboza, who is far from a slouch

Perhaps RDA is just a beast

It wasn't only energy management, that almost sounds like something Conor McExcuse would say. his skillset looked years below that of RDA. He also showed some pretty atrocious boxing. Don't get me wrong I think he still wins a number of fights, but he's going to struggle at the top level unless he changes training or camp or something.

even if Lee slows down, how does that really help him?

his problem is the only way he knows how to control the pacing of a fight is with aggression. he has no nuance to his game. that's his real problem.

when he throws a punch, everyone knows he's throwing a punch. when he goes for a takedown, everyone knows he's going for a takedown.

he needs feints. deception is the key to beating human beings in almost anything sports related. if you confuse the opponent, he's unsure, if he's unsure, he's hesitant, and if he's hesitant he's not fuckin punching you in the face.

Energy Management

This was his debut performance at 170, and frankly, he performed comparably and admirably compared to his lightweight past. Lee didn’t lose because he was depleted from a weight cut, or because he’s in the wrong division, or even because he was the lesser mixed martial artist. He lost because of how he rations his energy.

This is not to say he would have won if he fought at a slower pace. It is only to say that he put himself at a significant disadvantage for a crafty veteran to capitalize upon. In the first two rounds, Lee tried nine takedowns and fired off 67 mostly full-power strikes. You can see the effort in everything he does. And you can see the slowdown as he goes along.

Contrast that to dos Anjos, who manages a smooth and controlled tempo throughout his fights, and it’s easy to see the difference. The Brazilian is a decorated veteran and represented a chance for Lee to collect his first win over a former UFC champion. He is just too experienced and too good to offer a handicap.

The good news is that Lee remains both young and talented. No fighters in the lightweight or welterweight class walk away from viewing his fights and thinking he will be a quick or easy win. Lee has skills and heart and time.

The bad news is that none of those guarantee him anything. The worse news is that he has to find a way to fix this issue on the fly. The UFC isn’t likely to give him a few easy fights to help his progression. He’ll continue to face a murderer’s row not too dissimilar to his last quartet. Dos Anjos, Al Iaquinta, Edson Barboza and Tony Ferguson; that’s not just a group of studs, there’s an actual bogeyman in the mix!

It was always going to be a tall order to jump up a weight class and beat the division’s No. 3-ranked contender. For a few minutes, Lee was doing that. And that is something. That is meaningful. But to get to where he wants to go, to take a step forward, Lee has to do something counterintuitive: he has to slow down.

--MMA Fighting
Great post and correct in every way

Some of the comments regarding Lee, particularly in this thread are really really bad.

Like Conor hater level of analysis

Sorry but most of you don't know shit about mma

I tend to agree -- his strategy is what I feel lost him his last 2 fights. I feel the skill and physical ability is there, but he fights a style with incredibly high energy expenditure. I don't feel he needed to invest so much on the work against the cage against RDA. I do dig his utilization of wrestling (which he should have used more against Iaquinta imo) as seemingly most wrestlers that learn how to strike tend to devolve from their bread and butter, but I don't feel that it was used sparingly enough. Had he even been more successful with the takedowns, it isn't as if RDA is some slouch on the ground. He is very good at getting back up. Anyway, good post TS.

It wasn't only energy management, that almost sounds like something Conor McExcuse would say. his skillset looked years below that of RDA. He also showed some pretty atrocious boxing. Don't get me wrong I think he still wins a number of fights, but he's going to struggle at the top level unless he changes training or camp or something.
I'm still a believer in Lee, but I feel he hasn't been the same since the passing of Robert Follis. I feel he would benefit leaving Vegas.

This wasn't an issue of cardio. He fought how he should be fighting. Lee is a wrestler and great top game grappler first and foremost. The main issue is RDA has been fighting wrestlers back to back for a year straight and is starting to get really good at defending take downs and getting back to his feet. Once Lee couldn't take RDA down and keep him there he was fucked. He is a way worse striker than RDA.

Honestly, fighters that gas pretty much never fix it. Nunes is the only one I can remember overcoming this. People might also say Conor because of the second Diaz fight, but then his cardio failed again against Khabib.

It failed after being out for 2 years...and he still went 4 rounds with khabib...

TRTor is another guy who went from shit cardio to great cardio.

Rampage's cardio early in PRIDE was whatever. His cardio in the UFC around the time of the Dan Henderson fight was legendary.

Dan Henderson is also another guy who's had shit or insane cardio at varying points in his career. Gassed in 1 round against Jake Shields. Looked great in 5 insane rounds against Rampage.
You just listed a bunch of PED users

Back