Kevin Lee: "UFC said Makachev isnt a big enough of a draw for a fight with me. Not a big name"

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just said on Ariel Helwani show.

The reason the fight didnt get made was because the UFC didnt like the idea. Nobody knows Makachev and Kevin Lee is a big name in the division. They want him in bigger fights.

But Lee said after this fight he will see if he can get the UFC to agree again. And he wants to fight him in Russia.

I guess the only way we see it is if Kevin Lee loses vs Oliveira.

Last edited:

The reason the fight didnt get made was because the UFC didnt like the idea. Nobody knows Makachev and Kevin Lee is a big name in the division. They want him in bigger fights.

But Lee said after this fight he will see if he can get the UFC to agree again. And he wants to fight him in Russia.
So did he really sign a contract UFC gave him in Dec like he said then? Why would they give him a contract?

https://www.mmanews.com/kevin-lee-says-hes-waiting-on-islam-makhachev-to-sign-bout-agreement/

Or maybe he was loose with verbiage. Maybe he signed a pre-committment or some such thing.

Last edited:
Is Olivera really more well known? This reason seems odd since Olivera doesn't seem very popular himself.

Dang, Islam in Russia? That’s some huge balls. Gotta respect people that not only want the hard fight, but want it in enemy territory

Last edited:
The UFC saved this poor man's life

Makhachev would've blasted his chin back to Detroit

Dang, Islam is Russia? That’s some huge balls. Gotta respect people that not only want the hard fight, but want it in enemy territory
They still fight in a cage. The location only matters if ur mentally weak

Makhachev is not a big name but Gillespie is ?

Is Olivera really more well known? This reason seems odd since Olivera doesn't seem very popular himself.

He's not. After Lee said that, he mentioned what he thought was the real reason they don't want him to fight Makachev, which is they don't want Kevin to win, they don't want him to beat a possible top prospect.

Islam feeling the Bern. TFKL trying to make the UFC great again.

Fighter Kevin Lee is a liar!
How is Gillespie bigger than Makhachev?!
Islam Makhachev 1.9 million(!) instagram followers!
Fighter Kevin Lee 300,000 instagram followers!
Gillespie 60,000 instagram followers!

Dang, Islam is Russia? That’s some huge balls. Gotta respect people that not only want the hard fight, but want it in enemy territory
Oliveira in Brazil and Makachev in Russia.... Gotta respect that.

So did he really sign a contract UFC gave him in Dec like he said then? Why would they give him a contract?

https://www.mmanews.com/kevin-lee-says-hes-waiting-on-islam-makhachev-to-sign-bout-agreement/
At this point i dont even know what we can trust to be true anymore.

Just posting what he said.

He didnt studder or sounded like he was trying to find an excuse. He replied instantly. He's either a good liar or he already had the excuse ready in his back pocket. Thats my read on that, but i dont have one as to what is true and whats not.

Maybe they want him to fight Gaethje.

Oliveira in Brazil and Makachev in Russia.... Gotta respect that.

At this point i dont even know what we can trust to be true anymore.

Just posting what he said.

He didnt studder or sounded like he was trying to find an excuse. He replied instantly. He's either a good liar or he already had the excuse ready in his back pocket. Thats my read on that, but i dont have one as to what is true and whats not.
agreed. my guess is he got ahead of himself (maybe 'exaggerated' instead of 'lied'), and would now prefer to move on and talk about current events :)

No one wants to fight Makhachev because ”he’s not a big name”.

Can’t be a big name if you can’t get a fight.

<mma3>

Olivera is way more known and has been fighting way longer. Not to mention they love him in Brazil, a more proven market than Russia for the UFC. He's a bigger name for sure, not sure by how much of a margin though

Back