Kevin Lee: "UFC said Makachev isnt a big enough of a draw for a fight with me. Not a big name"

If he was unpopular it wouldnt have been Ariel's very first burning question to Fighter Kevin
Ariel isn't a part of the UFC business model team and looks at it from sport's perspective. Maybe when khabib retires, Islam will have his chance to represent the Russian market and get the easy shots. Right now, like Tony, he needs a 10 fight win streak.

Just said on Ariel Helwani show.

The reason the fight didnt get made was because the UFC didnt like the idea. Nobody knows Makachev and Kevin Lee is a big name in the division. They want him in bigger fights.

But Lee said after this fight he will see if he can get the UFC to agree again. And he wants to fight him in Russia.

I guess the only way we see it is if Kevin Lee loses vs Oliveira.

He actually gave a few "reasons", hard to say which one is true, if any.

One was that Islam isnt a big enough name, then he said Ariel it's because "they don't want me to win," then "Islam is not experienced enough"....he was all over the place in his reasonings so I take it all with a grain of salt.

Also if Islam isn't experienced enough now then how can he expect them to fight in Russia in the summer, it's not like he'll be more experienced by then.

Kevin needs some more needle movers like Iaquinta, Gillespie, or dos Anjos

Dana should just admit that he doesn't want Khabib to retire soon

And here's today's interview with Ariel. The discussion on Islam is the very first question so no need to timestamp:

Ariel isn't a part of the UFC business model team and looks at it from sport's perspective. Maybe when khabib retires, Islam will have his chance to represent the Russian market and get the easy shots. Right now, like Tony, he needs a 10 fight win streak.

My original theory (which i still consider likely) is that UFC is holding it as a bargaining chip with Khabib - "if you agree to Conor rematch we will make the Islam vs Fighter Kevin bout"

Kevin sounded mad as fuck in that interview, sounds like he is having some issues with the matchmakers.

the UFC is not a legitimate sport.....

It's Dana White and his investors fight club....

Props to contenders like Lee who truly are looking to find out if their the best in the world without any easy paths.....

Can someone please tell me where Fighter Kevin Lee came from? I think the dude has earned the right to be a respected fighter lol. But everyone has to talk shit

the UFC is not a legitimate sport.....

It's Dana White and his investors fight club....

Props to contenders like Lee who truly are looking to find out if their the best in the world without any easy paths.....

Its not. Time for Conor vs Kevin Lee now.

For a man with Lee's ego, he needs to be winning a lot more than he is.

Just said on Ariel Helwani show.

The reason the fight didnt get made was because the UFC didnt like the idea. Nobody knows Makachev and Kevin Lee is a big name in the division. They want him in bigger fights.

But Lee said after this fight he will see if he can get the UFC to agree again. And he wants to fight him in Russia.

I guess the only way we see it is if Kevin Lee loses vs Oliveira.
Man kev....you my guy and all ....but is the very definition of ducking.....

Makhachev who has 1.5m followers is not a big draw; but some random Brazilian dude is?

Ok bro

Fighter Kevin Lee is a liar!
How is Gillespie bigger than Makhachev?!
Islam Makhachev 1.9 million(!) instagram followers!
Fighter Kevin Lee 300,000 instagram followers!
Gillespie 60,000 instagram followers!
its always amazing how many people either dont listen to or dont understand what they heard before jumping all over a fighter in threads like this.....

He actually gave a few "reasons", hard to say which one is true, if any.

One was that Islam isnt a big enough name, then he said Ariel it's because "they don't want me to win," then "Islam is not experienced enough"....he was all over the place in his reasonings so I take it all with a grain of salt.

Also if Islam isn't experienced enough now then how can he expect them to fight in Russia in the summer, it's not like he'll be more experienced by then.
he gave two reasons? the ufc's reason and the reason he thinks ((they dont want him to win because in his mind, Islam is not experienced enough = the same reasoning))

Back