• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Kevin Lee: I found out through email

Cutting Kevin Lee is astonishingly hypocritical and stupid . He lost to some killers recently but we all know he's incredibly talented . I guess it might be because of that 6 month Adderall suspension that broke the camel's back but still . When you have Smilin dipshit signed and you cut Kevin Lee it makes it all the more clear that this shit is about money and power not athletic integrity. ( To an extent of course)

It’s gotta be about the pay. They likely extended him when he was a highly ranked lightweight who appeared to have room for growth. Since then he’s bounced between divisions, missed weight and mostly lost fights. I was surprised too but they probably don’t feel he’s worth the salary. He’ll be okay. And while I agree he’s talented, I don’t really see a future contender at this point. Strong wrestler at 155 and flashes occasional power but isn’t a very fluid striker. Raging Al and Rodriguez aren’t “bad” losses but those are guys you’d like a rising contender to do better against. The email thing really stinks if true.

The UFC trying to cut costs is obvious at this point. I don't like FKL's personality but he's a legitimately good fighter. His last 2 losses are to the current champ, and D-Rod, who is going to be top 10 soon. Meanwhile Mickey Gall is still getting fights.

The UFC has never been about carrying the best 500 fighters in the world though. They try to carry as many of the very elite as possible plus a nice stable of fighters below them to fill out cards in a cost-effective way. If Lee is gonna wrestle his way to a 29-28 victory over Drew Dober on the undercard they probably don’t want to cut a $200k check for that. It’s unfortunate and it looks like it was handled in a really shitty way, but the release itself looks like a defensible, ordinary course business decision.

It was a nasty move on the UFC's part. It was a punishment for her performance against Valentina. She was WAAAAY overmatched and was scared. It's was pretty obvious in the fight and she got a bunch of sh*t on line about it. Pretty sure Dana commented. REALLY nasty thing to do to someone and from this seat, it looked planned. When Dana doesn't like how you have performed. If he DOESN'T vibe with you. He acts in a way I have never seen another promoter act. As often as he can he trashes the very people that have made him millions.

It won't change. And while I can say for sure I was one of the ones criticizing Carmouche for that performance.
She had lost to one of the best female athletes in the world today and had beaten decent opposition to get the title shot. I can see why they cut her. Her age, had challenged for a title before and lost there... Isn't gonna challenge again .. so yeah.. I can see why...But then we have Jessica Eye in a similar spot... More over overmatched but went out and walked in to a a CTE of a kick. And she gets the extra fights because she lost how he likes to see?..

So they put her out there a publicly humiliate her?.. Nice

The UFC has never been about carrying the best 500 fighters in the world though. They try to carry as many of the very elite as possible plus a nice stable of fighters below them to fill out cards in a cost-effective way. If Lee is gonna wrestle his way to a 29-28 victory over Drew Dober on the undercard they probably don’t want to cut a $200k check for that. It’s unfortunate and it looks like it was handled in a really shitty way, but the release itself looks like a defensible, ordinary course business decision.

How many other top sports organizations get rid of their nearly top tier talent because they "cost too much"?

It looks really bad when you see stuff like this...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-posts-...text=The UFC seems well-positioned for growth.

UFC Posts Record Year to Date as Business Hits on All Cylinders

How many other top sports organizations get rid of their nearly top tier talent because they "cost too much"?

It looks really bad when you see stuff like this...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-posts-record-date-business-105502562.html#:~:text=Last but not least, the,revenue will be $930 million.&text=The UFC seems well-positioned for growth.

UFC Posts Record Year to Date as Business Hits on All Cylinders

True, but individual teams do it all the time. Bellator and other promotions pay (certain fighters) very well, and plenty of guys hit a point at which their contract is pretty rich to be the 10th or 12th most relevant fighter on a card. I wish the UFC kept all the best guys, but that’s not the way it is (and this is better for the fighters’ pay honestly).

If he lands at Bellator, Kevin Lee vs Benson Henderson would be a very interesting match up….

Cutting Kevin Lee is astonishingly hypocritical and stupid . He lost to some killers recently but we all know he's incredibly talented . I guess it might be because of that 6 month Adderall suspension that broke the camel's back but still . When you have Smilin dipshit signed and you cut Kevin Lee it makes it all the more clear that this shit is about money and power not athletic integrity. ( To an extent of course)
I don't see hipocracy here.

True, but individual teams do it all the time. Bellator and other promotions pay (certain fighters) very well, and plenty of guys hit a point at which their contract is pretty rich to be the 10th or 12th most relevant fighter on a card. I wish the UFC kept all the best guys, but that’s not the way it is (and this is better for the fighters’ pay honestly).

I see what you're trying to do, but it falls apart when you consider that every other major sports league has a union that protects their players from being fucked over.

I don't get why the UFC does shit like this, Kevin Lee has headlined a PPV and multiple fight nights for them, he has one of the best KOs in MSG mma history and as far as I know has never have any big issues with the promotion, why don't just give him a 5 minutes call to let him know he is being released?

It's kind of insane how they adopt a childish "talk to the hand" policy with some of the people they let go without any need to.

Hate to se anyone lose their job but this is one of those cases where the mouth and personality couldn't back itself up. He carried himself like a superstar but fought like a prelim guy. He has a few good wins but every time they gave him a decent challenge, he failed. They'd then give him a less quality opponent to get some shine back and he'd either fail again or win and then lose at the next big opportunity.

Seems like a decent enough guy but he just didn't seem UFC caliber. At least where he wants to be.

He would have only screamed the messager down if he had a phone call

At least he can remember the Gregor Gillespie KO. That was a rare highlight.

If he lands at Bellator, Kevin Lee vs Benson Henderson would be a very interesting match up….

I've seen a number of Bendo's fights over there. He isn't the guy he used to be. His last finish was against Roger Huerta in 2018. His last win in 2019 and his last 3 fights have losses. I don't think it would be close. I think it would actually be a great fight for Fighter Kevin Lee to get his head back on track.

Slide for audio

Lee stated he was still very emotional about the whole thing and was choking up a bit during the interview. I feel for the man.

so how does kevin want to be released. dana knock on his door with a your fired pink slip.

Never been a fan of Kevin Lee but the man has been with the UFC for 7 years and fought 18 times under their banner. Give the man the courtesy of a fucking phone call.
For comparison, Khabib has fought 8 times in 7 years, going back to 2014 for the ones on the short bus. GOAT my ass.

tenor.gif

Is Kevin Lee still living in Montréal and training with Tristar?
I think if he has the right attitude, he can easily get signed by another promotion.
He has all the tools, like GSP, he just needs the attitude.

He doesnt have good striking defence

UFC "We respect and take care of our fighters"

Meanwhile, "can you send kevin lee an email telling him he's fired"

At first I was irritated... then I was meh... Can't invest too much in UFC considerations regardless of what you've done..

Sucks if it hurts his pocket and chances but I think he has enough to get by and keep his career decently.

Back