Kettlebell certification?!

Metrolou

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
WTF? Here's the story: I workout at Crunch and I try to use every machine and free weight there is except for the kettle bells. I tried to workout with the kettle bells, only to be stopped by a personal trainer and say sorry you have to be certified for that, why don't you try the dumbbells instead. HE is the personal trainer and completely mistaken to the fact that kettle bells and dumbbells offer completely different gains of strength and power. So now I talked to the GM and asked her what I could do and she said get certification. Is there such a thing as Kettle Bell Certification?

In this case, certification = paying them money to tell you extremely basic information that you can find online for free. There are real certification courses, but the people at your gym are trying to extort you.

Yes there is, what is Crunch?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GO61k3EODY4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GO61k3EODY4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://www.dragondoor.com/wpkb33.html?gclid=CLeN1c3qqJICFRkGagodpSPFQQ

Crunch said:
When Crunch opened the doors to its first aerobics studio in New York City in 1989, it wasn&#8217;t fancy just a tiny spot on St. Mark&#8217;s Place in Manhattan&#8217;s East Village.

The basement studio had faulty air conditioning, no locker room and was frequently broken into after hours. Yet what this funky little spot lacked, it made up for with a little spunk and some new ideas: that exercise could be more than just the same sweaty grind and fitness could be more than bulging biceps and flat bellies.

You're not certified to use kettlebells? These things kill thousands every year, and are the second leading cause of death among males ages 20-30. A wise trainee will spend years learning to respect the true power of the kettlebell before attempting to handle one.

Kids these days ya know? Thinking they can just go ahead and "train" with equipment without being "certified." The arrogance.

In this case, certification = paying them money to tell you extremely basic information that you can find online for free. There are real certification courses, but the people at your gym are trying to extort you.

I tried googling free kettlebell certification so I guess is there anyone thats good at photoshop and can make me a printout of a kettle bell certificate i will send you a K-1 Heros DVD.

Wow. I actually read the link I posted. I never realized how much they charge for those certifications. That's ricockulous.

Wow. I actually read the link I posted. I never realized how much they charge for those certifications. That's ricockulous.

No it's not. You invest $2,500 but look at what you get:

"My income has nearly doubled since taking my RKC cert, all without any extra investment in time (from about $30,000 to $60,000)."

No it's not. You invest $2,500 but look at what you get:

"My income has nearly doubled since taking my RKC cert, all without any extra investment in time (from about $30,000 to $60,000)."&#8212;Jason C. Brown, RKC, Roslyn, PA

You income simply doubles! Imagine if you already earn $50,000 a year and double that number...

@Metrolou: Check your contract. I doubt it allows them to restrict the use of equipment to "non-certified" members.

Sue them in small claims court and go see Judge Judy.

I tried googling free kettlebell certification so I guess is there anyone thats good at photoshop and can make me a printout of a kettle bell certificate i will send you a K-1 Heros DVD.

Can you properly demonstrate a swing, snatch, and getup w/the bells? That should be enough for them to leave you alone.

If they still wont let you use the gear I'd shred my contract, have my bank stop the EFT, and take a shit on the front desk on my way out the door...

You know, no one hear asked what he was doing with the kettlebells when they stopped him. He could've been doing curls or something.

You know, no one hear asked what he was doing with the kettlebells when they stopped him. He could've been doing curls or something.

At least it would've been a "functional" curl!

At least it would've been a "functional" curl!

Kettlebellcurl.jpg
KettlebellPressCurl-150-wide.jpg

I've yet to see a good reason to buy a KB. I don't see why a you can't get the same thing from a DB. It's just weight with a handle.

I've yet to see a good reason to buy a KB. I don't see why a you can't get the same thing from a DB. It's just weight with a handle.

If you don't have a kettlebell, you can't do all of the CrossFit WODs as prescribed and you won't be able to forge elite fitness.

Different leverages.

Still, it's not that great of a reason when you consider the stupid prices attached to KB's.

Different leverages.

That I can see, but at what point are you splitting hairs with leverage placement?

Or maybe I just think KB's are silly.

Back