Kelly Pavlick vs Gary Lockett plus Ponce De Leon vs Lopez Tonight on HBO

I like Max, he's going to develop a talent for getting into verbal fisticuffs with fighters after bouts. You can see it coming... Merchant without the liquor plus the coke/pot - 40 years.

Was not happy to see DPDL look like that. Pav did what he was supposed to. Shitty card.

Pavlik would do just fine against Calzaghe me thinks. Dunno about winning, but it's closer than people are making it out to be. If the Joe who fought Sakio Bika shows up, who knows?

If Calzaghe comes in with the mitts low in his usual fashion, he could get caught. I think the added 8-15 pounds will help Kelly with his power, if he puts on functional muscle. And Joe is nearing the twilight of his career. I can see this as a very sturdy test.... For both men, actually.

I like Max, he's going to develop a talent for getting into verbal fisticuffs with fighters after bouts. You can see it coming... Merchant without the liquor plus the coke/pot - 40 years.

Was not happy to see DPDL look like that. Pav did what he was supposed to. Shitty card.

Haha you just jokin or is Max a doper?

I thought the card had potential to be good. I really thought PDL and JML had the makings to be a very exciting fight, but Ponce just got caught early, probably should have been a little more cautious early on against a fast, lefthanded powerpuncher.. Figured Pavlik would blow out Lockett, but hey everyone gets a showcase fight every now and then.

Sometimes Max does look like he is on Coke. He be wide-eyed and overenthusiastic from time to time. Scary stuff.

No way he's knockin out lines and going on the air. That'd be a ballsy move and he'd be risking his whole career and rep.

I think ski season might start a little early for Max. I don't care though, whatever gets your rocks off.

That's crazy! I can imagine Max hitting the ya-yo too! He was a rapper in the 90s.

If Calzaghe comes in with the mitts low in his usual fashion, he could get caught. I think the added 8-15 pounds will help Kelly with his power, if he puts on functional muscle. And Joe is nearing the twilight of his career. I can see this as a very sturdy test.... For both men, actually.

Agreed. I think Calzaghe's dominance in his more well known fights has led people to believe he's never in a competitive fight. I cant imagine Pavlik giving up, or stopping throwing punches at any time.
Great showcase for Pavlik, hopefully he gets a tough one next.

I'm glad that Pavlik didn't fight down to Lockett's level.
Not a slam on Lockett, but too many times you see a better fighter fight at the level of a lesser opponent.
I was thinking the same thing. It's strange to watch but it says something about a person's psychology. Kelly pushes people around in the ring, forces them to fight his fight. He was unknown until he KO'd Zertuche. Ok, I never heard of him (for what that's worth *shrug*), and sometimes you can't tell if the fire is gone once they're at the top until it's too late. So I guess Pavlik answered a few questions in the Lockett fight for me too.

Just caught the fight -- Pavlik looked good.

Man, can that guy bang to the body. Every fuckin' time he lands clean he seems to hurt his opponent. I think he could stop Zag mid-rounds if he takes some risks and pounds the ribs. How likely is this fight now?

Kelly is gonna put cal away. Im telling you guys, if joe is the fav put some money on kelly He is so hungy for joe especially because of the way theyve been talking about him, like he isnt on joe's level.

Most impressive fighter this weekend was Lopez.

I always thought Max was a bit too hyper to not be on something.

Most impressive fighter this weekend was Lopez.

Exactly!

That was something to see.
Alot of people on here seemed critical of Ponce's chances prior to this fight. But I still thought the guy was a force. Never would have thought Lopez would tear through him like that.

Exactly!

That was something to see.
Alot of people on here seemed critical of Ponce's chances prior to this fight. But I still thought the guy was a force. Never would have thought Lopez would tear through him like that.

Like I said, only one fucker got the De leon/lopez fight right (by decision and not KO). I was thinking Ponce would pounce on Lopez and KO him early round or mid. No, Ponce ducked to slip a punch and ate a hook for it. He didn't see it coming and he was done.

Lopez is still young though. I wouldn't put him in with Vasquez. Not yet.

In fact, he needs to fight a few contenders before he takes on the champs. Ponce is the only solid winning record guy he has fought. Molitor, Caballero, and Vasquez would beat him at this point. Maybe not...

Back