Keith Thurman vs Josesito Lopez 1/26 FOX PBC Brooklyn

They got a full set now for the pre/post fight coverage, liking the theme. I guess they had to wait as the UFC on FOX deal still had 1 more prelim to go in late December.

I don't think he does it intentionally (he's actually toned it it down last few fights instead of playing up to his "gimmick"). He just seems really into the fight, and sort of lives it vicariously. He does a good job mostly, and adds some pizzazz.
I think those faces he makes could influence judges.

Wow, I just saw the Bellator, and Fedor got TKOed by a single JAB. God damn that sucks.

Several things going on there, and he's obviously still bent about the Broner card. Thanks for sharing. It's funny, I find it easier to understand Paulie when he talks, reading transcripts of his statements hurts my head. The psychology and sociology aspects of scoring fights is fascinating to me.

I agree that card was too wide, but it was a hard to score round by round fight. This is the problem when you have subjective scoring- does the fighter moving forward get too much credit, flashy combos that largely land on the arms, etc. After a lopsided 6 rounds, if the 7th is close, do we give credit to momentum, to a fighter that was suddenly more competitive? How do the previous 6 rounds not impact the scoring of the 7th? When Byrd slips 6 punches but gets cracked by the 7th...

This underscores a problem I have with fighters and trainers in the booth. They bring their own shit into the booth and can't let go. Goosen, who was good, could not put aside his bias in the Tug fight. That blow could have landed on the bottom of the shorts and Goosen would have called it legit. Unless we are already educated about the bias, or they are open about their history and bias (which Goosen was) you don't know to take it with a grain of salt. Casual fans (put aside how many casual fans were watching Thurman...) walk away thinking the blow was legit- Goosen said so. The same problem existed when HBO cash cows were fighting- Lampley would often ignore the other fighter and when you listen to him you think its a runaway. Compubox is a whole different misleading can of worms-- come on Jim, not all 'power shots' are created equally...

I've encountered similar problems watching fights with people who don't score rounds, but watch the fight as a whole. Considering it as 12 separate fights for scoring can lead to a much different perception than viewing it as one fight, ignoring the round by round. Tarver-RJJ one is a classic example. Scoring the fight I think RJJ won by a slim margin, but would be ok the other way. Watching the fight with three friends who just watched the fight, they thought it was Tarver and not even close.

Then there is our bias. Who did we want to win before we watched, and how does that impact our scoring? (Huge RJJ fan and didn't like Tarver). I watched Raheem-Morales in an arena full of partying Mexican fans. Every shot Morales threw resulted in a huge uproar. I remember thinking this place is going to riot when they announce (hopefully) that Raheem won.

Several things going on there, and he's obviously still bent about the Broner card. Thanks for sharing. It's funny, I find it easier to understand Paulie when he talks, reading transcripts of his statements hurts my head. The psychology and sociology aspects of scoring fights is fascinating to me.

I agree that card was too wide, but it was a hard to score round by round fight. This is the problem when you have subjective scoring- does the fighter moving forward get too much credit, flashy combos that largely land on the arms, etc. After a lopsided 6 rounds, if the 7th is close, do we give credit to momentum, to a fighter that was suddenly more competitive? How do the previous 6 rounds not impact the scoring of the 7th? When Byrd slips 6 punches but gets cracked by the 7th...

This underscores a problem I have with fighters and trainers in the booth. They bring their own shit into the booth and can't let go. Goosen, who was good, could not put aside his bias in the Tug fight. That blow could have landed on the bottom of the shorts and Goosen would have called it legit. Unless we are already educated about the bias, or they are open about their history and bias (which Goosen was) you don't know to take it with a grain of salt. Casual fans (put aside how many casual fans were watching Thurman...) walk away thinking the blow was legit- Goosen said so. The same problem existed when HBO cash cows were fighting- Lampley would often ignore the other fighter and when you listen to him you think its a runaway. Compubox is a whole different misleading can of worms-- come on Jim, not all 'power shots' are created equally...

I've encountered similar problems watching fights with people who don't score rounds, but watch the fight as a whole. Considering it as 12 separate fights for scoring can lead to a much different perception than viewing it as one fight, ignoring the round by round. Tarver-RJJ one is a classic example. Scoring the fight I think RJJ won by a slim margin, but would be ok the other way. Watching the fight with three friends who just watched the fight, they thought it was Tarver and not even close.

Then there is our bias. Who did we want to win before we watched, and how does that impact our scoring? (Huge RJJ fan and didn't like Tarver). I watched Raheem-Morales in an arena full of partying Mexican fans. Every shot Morales threw resulted in a huge uproar. I remember thinking this place is going to riot when they announce (hopefully) that Raheem won.

Shots landing clean is something ive always paid a lot of attention to against aggressiveness which is what a regular not so experienced judge might also go by, there’s also giving a round for activity despite not the best accuracy but for this the other guy would have to be throwing little to nothing. A crowds sudden cheer might actually influence a judge if he prefers straight forward guys and the cheering came via a flurry where every shot missed but was off an angle he couldn’t see. I always look for shots landed. There’s times im still not scoring and looking at a go forward guy being aggressive but missing a lot while taking some clean shots. My old man bias for his guy tells me that was his round, I tell him he’s not landing clean, the other guy might of got some attention with his shots so don’t bet on it. He usually gets mad when the results are called lol. This is what leads nearly every casual to say Floyd ran for 12 rounds and loss.

I can tell you I don’t score fights because for some reason as a fan I feel silly (don’t know why). But if it’s significant to me i’ll rewatch and score. The latest fight I scored was Danny vs. Porter after hearing Garcia landed harder shots at the end and could of edged it out, which I doubted. And I did give some later rounds to Garcia because like you said of some fights, Porter was throwing these flurries that kept hitting air and arms and when he did land inside some of the shots were so powerless they looked like they didn’t even tickle Garcia, I know it’s activity but if your tapping the other guy 4 times while the other guy lands a harder clean shot it becomes difficult to score and depends if the less busy guy does a little more to get the round or activity overwhelms him too much and wraps the round up for the other fighter. So at the end I gave some rounds to Garcia since Porter was hitting air and playing girly tap likely to get the judges attention. But other rounds Garcias activity was so low the best I could do for him was a Draw so I couldn’t disagree with the judges that time. But we’ve been getting some shitty cards lately not just the Thurman fight but on Dazn as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back