Keith Owen Shows Peruvian necktie

good move. But I've found it's often possible to defend it by doing a headstand and falling in a bridge on the other side.

good move. But I've found it's often possible to defend it by doing a headstand and falling in a bridge on the other side.

There's a counter to every move...However, a Peruvian Necktie , done right, will not allow you to hip up or headstand as the choker has one leg over your back, preferably over the small of the back to lock the hips in place.

That's great. I love to know counters so I can work on plan b, c and d

how do you do a headstand when his other leg is trapping you?

I went through and looked at some of his other instructionals. Keith Owen seems to be a pretty good instructor, I like his mannerism. Where is his school located at?

Meridian, Idaho

I went through and looked at some of his other instructionals. Keith Owen seems to be a pretty good instructor, I like his mannerism. Where is his school located at?

Meridian, Idaho
It is right next the Boise Id. I have been going to Keith's school for little over two years now. I love it and think he is the best. He got his Black belt from Professor Pedro Sauer.
Check out his website bjjmoves.com

how do you do a headstand when his other leg is trapping you?

Since he's using both hands to choke you, he can't post to his left. So if you tripod up he will fall on his side, taking some pressure of your hips. Then, assuming he's not much more heavier or stronger than you, it should be possible for you to roll through or bridge.
It's better to bridge because this way you have weight on your head, and it's harder for him to use his leg to push your head into your own chest and choke you out.
At that point, he should be squished under you in a kind of inverted guard position, and he won't be able to get good leverage to finish the choke.

All the while, of course, you should have one or both hands grabbing his wrist to slow down the choke.

But that's just something that I "invented" while rolling. It's still very very hard to escape this move.

(edited for double post)

when the pnt is one of his legs are on your lower back to prevent you from rolling over.

There's a counter to every move...However, a Peruvian Necktie , done right, will not allow you to hip up or headstand as the choker has one leg over your back, preferably over the small of the back to lock the hips in place.

I first learned the Peruvian Neck tie from lockflow here:www.lockflow.com

Instead of putting your leg over the small of their back you use it to hook their near leg. Not sure how you'd escape it, I'm curious to know.

Well sure, he's not gonna let you escape without putting up a fight.

But then it is impossible to posture up in a triangle because he's grabbing your head, and it's impossible to defend an armbar because he's hyper-extending your elbow, etc. You get the point, all these escapes only work if your oponent makes a small mistake.

Instead of putting your leg over the small of their back you use it to hook their near leg. Not sure how you'd escape it, I'm curious to know.

That's weird. I have always thought you put the leg over the head first, then the back.

An easy defense is to simply jam the leg off your head/pull your head out.

That's actually how I first saw it too, but it isn't a very good alternative. It actually makes it easier to roll through because it is much looser. The leg-over-the-back PNT is much tighter, and even if you roll you should be able to get the tap or at very least a good position. After learning the PNT, I tried the hook-the-leg version and found it much inferior to the leg-over-the-back one.

^^^^^Interesting. I'm going to give it a try next time I go to practice. Is the grip around the neck still the same (under the armpit and across the neck)?

Yep. The arm positioning is exactly the same, but I like using a very loose grip under the body - not across by his neck like that. That tends to give the PNT away in my experience.

Sorry guys, the video is down. Keith wanted to reshoot it with more detail. I'll repost it when it gets done.

so, over the back is the best? i tried it last night and his head popped out. needs practice, don't think i was high enough b4 rolling back

Back