Keeping it playful

Habs fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know Ryron Gracie made this popular a few years ago. I found that it help me to progress in bjj. But I found a lot of guys at my club are not fond of it. Was just wondering if a lot of grapplers on here keep it playful.

Depends on the day. I think it's important to have that mind set some days go just have fun. Other days you might just need to go hard. Mix it up. Any day you are on the mat should be fun

I think there's a fine line between keeping it playful and grappling without any intensity which imo isn't really realistic but to each thier own

Sometimes I think I keep it playful because of my ego. I don't have a huge ego but I am not ego less. I find that beyond making me better it does help me be ok with getting tapped out if that makes sense. And no I don't keep it playful all the time.

I know Ryron Gracie made this popular a few years ago. I found that it help me to progress in bjj. But I found a lot of guys at my club are not fond of it. Was just wondering if a lot of grapplers on here keep it playful.
There is a time for everything
Time to learn.
Time to process the techniques
Time to compete.

They just mean don't get too serious and hurt your partner.

A lot of people think you need to go all out but I don't think so, same as with standup. The guy who doesn't get injured in training but still learns has a longer career. If you know your partner won't cripple you, you might learn how to escape the heel hook.

Most people don't seem to realize training isn't a competition, you are both there to get better. Not for one guy who thinks he's the best to fuck up his team mate so he never competes again.

Then you have to consider, most people will never be a champion or compete more than a few times but plenty will get their time on the mat ended by some douche nozzle who thinks he is the next Andre Galvao. lol

Last edited:
i would never, EVER, keep it playful with a Habs fan. Blasphemous.

It's for babies, when you train you're using not just your time but your partners time as well, some people want to learn bjj not play grab ass everyday.

You need good sparring partners to improve and succeed. If you go all out and destroy - injury - your "equipment" or yourself then how can you improve? Randori or rolling is not a match, submaximal intensity for training is the order of the day in most sports.

i went to a Jeff Glover seminar last weekend and he talked about this, like how hell massage your neck after a choke or pat your chest after an armbar. Are they clowmed? sure. Are we grown ass men humpin each other in pajamas? Yup.

Honeslty, pissing off serious sallies is one of the best parts of martial arts. People need humbled to keep their ego in check.

Plus, its part of my game. I want those people angry. They dont concentrate and make poor decisions when theyre angry. Try to oomph and rush too much.

And its just so, so fun to go 'shhhhh' when youre cross collar choking someone.

200.gif

You can train at sub-maximal intensity. In fact, you should, a lot. But that is not necessarily playful. You are still concentrating, still working, still focusing. 'Playful' implies that the activity is not that important, that you're just messing around. I don't ever waste mat time doing that.

Last edited:
You need good sparring partners to improve and succeed. If you go all out and destroy - injury - your "equipment" or yourself then how can you improve? Randori or rolling is not a match, submaximal intensity for training is the order of the day in most sports.

Yup. In terms of programming the nervous system, a high number of submaximal intensity reps are the pretty much the best thing there is.

Yup. In terms of programming the nervous system, a high number of submaximal intensity reps are the pretty much the best thing there is.

True, competitive runners that trains are seldom going all out and same with weightlifters, powerlifters or whatever, they may use only a fraction of their max capasity most of the time.

When training low intensity then volume should be high though, I have been to newaza randori sessions that lasted 3 hours or more, only idiots would try not not tap when getting caught or doing other retarded stuff, people like that wont last long in my experience.

Last edited:
True, competitive runners that trains are seldom going all out and same with weightlifters, powerlifters or whatever, they may use only a fraction of their max capasity most of the time.

When training low intensity then volume should be high though, I have been to newaza randori sessions that lasted 3 hours or more, only idiots would try not not tap when getting caught or doing other retarded stuff, people like that wont last long in my experience.

Even more so for more complex movements like boxing or grappling. Look at the way Floyd Mayweather trains--yes he does very hard sparring, but he also spends hours doing low intensity work on the heavy bag and doing that quick and light version of mittwork he does with Roger.

What's funny is these same "just bleed" types are scared of a dirty belt giving them a rash. I'm sorry, but you guys are the true pussies of BJJ.

Nobody in Brazil washes their belt, half the time they don't even wash their gi, just use it to wipe their nose.

I read some advice about hygene on the internet when I was a white belt, everyone laughed when they saw me doing this in the bathroom. You gotta brush your teeth, use mouthwash, wet wipes on your ass, shave your face, clip your nails. Are you going on a date? Kiss me. lol

Then some SJWs in American internet culture decided they will tell everyone else how it is. Because safety, goy. In the next breath it's "go hard or go home". They all know better than a Gracie when they are only pimply cheese dick American dorks with a WordPress account.

You're trying to tell Brazilians and Japanese what jiu-jitsu or Judo is and isn't. No. lol

Last edited:
What's funny is these same "just bleed" types are scared of a dirty belt giving them a rash. I'm sorry, but you guys are the true pussies of BJJ.

Nobody in Brazil washes their belt, half the time they don't even wash their gi, just use it to wipe their nose.

I read some advice about hygene on the internet when I was a white belt, everyone laughed when they saw me doing this in the bathroom. You gotta brush your teeth, use mouthwash, wet wipes on your ass, shave your face, clip your nails. Are you going on a date? Kiss me. lol

Then some SJWs in American internet culture decided they will tell everyone else how it is. Because safety, goy. In the next breath it's "go hard or go home". They all know better than a Gracie when they are only pimply cheese dick American dorks with a WordPress account.

You're trying to tell Brazilians and Japanese what jiu-jitsu or Judo is and isn't. No. lol

This made me chuckle. Nicely done.

Theres a time, place and partner for all situations.

Just make sure you and your partner are on the same page.

I used the OFFICIAL Gracie "Keep it Playful Coin" (sold HERE) last night in the sack with my girlfriend...got "Keep it Playful"; she said she only likes guys who get "Keep It Real" :( Thank Ryron. :(

Back