Keeping it playful

You need good sparring partners to improve and succeed. If you go all out and destroy - injury - your "equipment" or yourself then how can you improve? Randori or rolling is not a match, submaximal intensity for training is the order of the day in most sports.
Agreed. I like the idea of keeping it playful as a way to find the guys where you can focus your training in a more intense environment and weed out the hopeless ego cases. Like "keep it playful" with the general group and when you find a partners the same weight and physical ability or better who wants to step up the intensity than go beast mode and train the shit out of it.

Another good thing about that is my right elbow's been re built from a rolling Juji Gatame gone wrong. The guys who I train beast mode know that side doesn't have the extension my left does so they instinctively give me a little more room in tight control throws and subs.

I wouldn't have found that cool group if I hadn't "kept it playful"....And now I just ignore the hopeless ego cases cause the beast mode group auto pairs up and we have a blast training.

My personal interpretation of Keeping it Playful is to open up your game instead of going to your bread and butter moves which usually bring success.

I also think Ryron came up with the idea because he'd have an excuse if he lost in Metamoris. He can always say "I was only keeping it Playful... to learn...."

Interestingly, Kron Gracie tries to destroy his opponents, put himself in harms way and usually dominates his opponents or goes out on his shield, with no shame.

And it's not like Kron hasn't learned or improved his game by actively trying to win as opposed to surviving and waiting 50 hours for the opponent to MAYBE make a mistake.

If you want to be a real grappler you have to be hardcore. At my gym every round is like the adcc finals. We have no mats or heater and the loser takes 10 lashings..

But seriously people act like when ryron says keep it playful he's saying not to have intensity. Those guys still roll intensely. It's bout the mind set, you can go hard, but if you get tapped, or the other guy won't tap, keep a good attitude .

I go roll hard enough that I feel like I'm going to puke by the end of class but still have the keep it playful mindset

My personal interpretation of Keeping it Playful is to open up your game instead of going to your bread and butter moves which usually bring success.

I also think Ryron came up with the idea because he'd have an excuse if he lost in Metamoris. He can always say "I was only keeping it Playful... to learn...."

Interestingly, Kron Gracie tries to destroy his opponents, put himself in harms way and usually dominates his opponents or goes out on his shield, with no shame.

And it's not like Kron hasn't learned or improved his game by actively trying to win as opposed to surviving and waiting 50 hours for the opponent to MAYBE make a mistake.
You're talking about competition, big difference

You're talking about competition, big difference

I know the difference. I believe in opening things up when rolling to get better but competition is meant for executing and simply not being happy to survive or "Learn" because competing to win will teach you just as much if not more than Ryron's competition mindset of keeping it Playful even in competition. Last time I checked, he was dominated by Galvao and had nothing to offer but a sex-offender smile. Sure Ryron murks tons of blackbelts but against lifers with equal mat time, he's not it. He's also a beanstalk which makes him difficult, a physical advantage against often shorter guys except Barnett.

Last edited:
It's all about balance, you shouldn't go comp intensity all the time nor should you flow roll all the time.

Back