• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kayla Harrison gives Pereira the Judo yellow belt

I literally retired from Judo competition when they fucked the rules.

As for Harrison's promotion....

In a little over two decades of experience anyway...

Yellow belt is a kids belt.

In NANKA adults are solely
White
Green
Brown
Black

Where as kids are
White, yellow, orange,green,blue,purple,brown,black

Granted you aren't really getting past green as a kid at any legit school as a kid.

And even the mcdojos can't give a kid a black belt.

Extensive background check, Age limitation and you literally need to send in an application for it on top of it (my instructor had to lost my competition experience, other accomplishments and practically write an essay along with it)
lmao I got a kid's belt? I wore it to other Judo schools and now i wonder if anyone said anything about it and I didn't get it...

White
Green
Brown
Black

Where as kids are

Granted you aren't really getting past green as a kid at any legit school as a kid.

Extensive background check, Age limitation and you literally need to send in an application for it on top of it (my instructor had to lost my competition experience, other accomplishments and practically write an essay along with it)

How are you a judoka and think a yellow belt is a kids belt? It's different depending on your country, but in the west (especially U.S.), it's an adult belt and typically goes White, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown (3 degrees), then black.

Yellow in Judo is the equivalent to like a 1 stripe white belt in BJJ. Source? I'm a Judo brown and originally a BJJ Purple. Think it took me like 3 months to get yellow.

For a moment there i thought this would turn into another raven hair security girl meme.

It depends on the school, but a Judo yellow belt is nothing. Almost like a participation ribbon.

Last edited:
How are you a judoka and think a yellow belt is a kids belt? It's different depending on your country, but in the west (especially U.S.), it's an adult belt and typically goes White, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown (3 degrees), then black.

Yellow in Judo is the equivalent to like a 1 stripe white belt in BJJ. Source? I'm a Judo brown and originally a BJJ Purple. Think it took me like 3 months to get yellow.

I've been a black belt for 15 years now.

I competed for a very long time, and trained at many, many places. the 4 divisions for adults were white, green, brown, black.

I did specify NANKA which is the southern california governing body. And almost all my experience was visiting competition focused schools.

I knew of one dojo that gave out belts outside of those 4 to adults. Granted they were giving those out like candy.

The other 20 or so I went to adhered to those 4.

And the very traditional Japanese Dojos didn't even do green. Just white, browns, then black.

I could be wrong currently
Maybe things have changed in more recent times... that would make sense, especially with the popularity of BJJ in addition to more belts equals more money for a lot of schools.
I completely exited the Judo Circuit when they made the awful leg grab rule.

Personally I went from white to yellow, I was 13 or so. I joined the adult class from the get go then started competing against adults so my instructor just skipped the orange and put me to green, then Sankyu, Nikyu, Ikkyu and about a decade later I got my shodan.
Never a belt charge, never a "testing"

I was questioning my sanity so I decided to actually look up some stuff. Looked up the sign up at tournaments and whatnot.

There is ZERO standardization of the Kyu ranks by USJF.

Put a little screen cap of some discussion.

Interestingly Germany doesn't even just do the full WYOGBBrBl.
Apparently it's super common for them to go

White
White/yellow
Yellow
Yellow/Orange
Etc.

I will admit I'm rather snobby about belts.
As I base a huge majority of rank on competition ability (black needs a bit more than just results but that's for another convo)

If the adult divisions of official tournaments is White, Green, Brown, Black. Then those are ones that hold weight. To me at least.

It's like someone in MMA saying they compete at the 177 lb division.
Yeah you're almost to the official weight class but you aren't there yet. You're at 185.

---------
Long tangent/rant

While I'm on the belt discussion. I'm mostly pointing the finger at BJJ.

Stripes are stupid and meaningless
Belt testing is a scam.
And any fees along with them are predatory.

Stripes are a way for scummy gyms to charge even more money.
And if your instructor needs to test to see if you're at a certain level he is a con artist.

Any student I ever had that actually stuck around long enough to get a belt, I knew their ability inside and out.
Any instructor that cares about their students does.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240701_013000_Reddit~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240701_013000_Reddit~2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 2
Kayla is about as legit of a Judoka as you can possibly get, she knows what she’s talking about.

If Kayla says he’s a yellow belt then he damn well is.

whats even crazier is that Kayla Harrison gave him his yellow belt when Coach Cruz claims to be a black belt in Judo, but doesn't offer any Judo classes at his gym
Lots of BJJ MMA gyms have black belt Judoka’s but don’t offer judo on their curriculum.

That’s probably because they’re black belts but not competing black belts.

Lots of BJJ MMA gyms have black belt Judoka’s but don’t offer judo on their curriculum.

That’s probably because they’re black belts but not competing black belts.
Judo isn't popular with adults. Adults can't learn how to break fall well. You go to BJJ or MMA school. They try to offer Judo/wrestling classes. Not many people show up for it. Go watch a over 30 adult class of judo/wrestling beginners. It's the saddest thing.

I was questioning my sanity so I decided to actually look up some stuff. Looked up the sign up at tournaments and whatnot.

There is ZERO standardization of the Kyu ranks by USJF.

Put a little screen cap of some discussion.

Interestingly Germany doesn't even just do the full WYOGBBrBl.
Apparently it's super common for them to go

White
White/yellow
Yellow
Yellow/Orange
Etc.

I will admit I'm rather snobby about belts.
As I base a huge majority of rank on competition ability (black needs a bit more than just results but that's for another convo)

If the adult divisions of official tournaments is White, Green, Brown, Black. Then those are ones that hold weight. To me at least.

It's like someone in MMA saying they compete at the 177 lb division.
Yeah you're almost to the official weight class but you aren't there yet. You're at 185.

---------
Long tangent/rant

While I'm on the belt discussion. I'm mostly pointing the finger at BJJ.

Stripes are stupid and meaningless
Belt testing is a scam.
And any fees along with them are predatory.

Stripes are a way for scummy gyms to charge even more money.
And if your instructor needs to test to see if you're at a certain level he is a con artist.

Any student I ever had that actually stuck around long enough to get a belt, I knew their ability inside and out.
Any instructor that cares about their students does.

USJA (US Judo Association) which is what the gym I go to and myself gym are under, and assume Kayla is too, goes White, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, and black. I've never heard of the other organization you listed, but am familiar with USJF.

And disagree about stripes. My gym doesn't use them in BJJ, but they do have value. When a gym has 300+ people, it helps to keep track of progress for students and instructors. I used to look down on the whole belting system in general (compared to wrestling), but the older I get, the more I equate it to a promotion at work. Would you rather get 1 large promotion/pay raise every 2 years, or 2 smaller promotions/pay raises every year (that equal the same amount)? Most would rather get the smaller ones since they are getting feedback and kudos for their progress.

Despite what people think, you need to reward adult learners, just like kids, for their progress. It's the only thing that keeps people interested in any aspect of life (jobs, hobbies, marriages, etc.).

As for Judo belt testing, the gym I go to has 2 routes for Judo promotions...belt testing or competing. I usually don't like belt testing, but I can see the value in it for newer belts. But I don't think it should be the only gauge for promotion to mid to higher ranks.

Judo isn't popular with adults. Adults can't learn how to break fall well. You go to BJJ or MMA school. They try to offer Judo/wrestling classes. Not many people show up for it. Go watch a over 30 adult class of judo/wrestling beginners. It's the saddest thing.

This is the biggest myth in existence and always seems to be peddled by people who only do BJJ. Judo is the most popular combat sport in the world, and has the most number of countries who participate in the Olympics. It's just not popular in the U.S. for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with break falling.

Judo is to wrestling in the U.S., but x10 across the world. Go to most other countries and they have large Judo clubs with plenty of adult learners.

White
Green
Brown
Black

Where as kids are

You have never met Julio

Back