kata exercise

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
so i'm surprised i didn't think of this sooner, but as an exercise to help students who have a hard time visualizing a kata technique as a real technique, an exercise that could help.

step 1
pick any MMA, KB, K-1 fighter you want
step 2
pick any fight with that fighter in it
step 3
select either a certain time limit within the fight, or a number of techniques in the fight.
step 4
use the techniques from the given time frame, or within the technique quota in the respective order they were used and create a kata.

you can choose to emulate the fight exactly (going forward when they go forward, back when they go back, etc.) or simply do the techniques but with your chosen facing and footwork.

extra credit
step 5
look at the techniques as demonstrated in this new kata and find alternate interpretations of each movement.

@AndyMaBobs @Tayski @Azam @Frode Falch

Does anyone think Kata's are really good to practice in your free time, if your not really getting any kicking instruction in? Just curious.

Katas are the devil's creation. LOL.
Seriously, even as a kid back when I studied TMA I couldn't stand them. I spent four years studying Isshin-Ryu, Kenpo & Tae Kwon Do collecting various colored belts but always grew bored with them because of their heavy reliance on katas to advance. So, I gave up the TMA & switched to boxing at 17 & didn't look back until years later when I began crosstraining in kickboxing. Which led to a black belt in American Kickboxing & then, a bit later after I'd retired from fighting, a black belt in a system of Hawaiian Kempo/Kajukenbo that had eschewed katas from its curriculum.

Does anyone think Kata's are really good to practice in your free time, if your not really getting any kicking instruction in? Just curious.
i'm pretty sure that specifically was discussed in another thread, with kata being compared to shadow boxing for boxers and kick boxers.

it helps to create muscle memory, and for me personally during my first year in the navy, i spent most of my time at sea, and being busy, and not having much space, equipment and every surface being steel, kata was about the only method i had to train or practice during deployments or general training/work up underway periods.

just think of them as any other single person drill and i guess you'll have your answer in your own opinion.

Seriously, even as a kid back when I studied TMA I couldn't stand them. I spent four years studying Isshin-Ryu, Kenpo & Tae Kwon Do collecting various colored belts but always grew bored with them because of their heavy reliance on katas to advance. So, I gave up the TMA & switched to boxing at 17 & didn't look back until years later when I began crosstraining in kickboxing. Which led to a black belt in American Kickboxing & then, a bit later after I'd retired from fighting, a black belt in a system of Hawaiian Kempo/Kajukenbo that had eschewed katas from its curriculum.
i can't lie, after 4 years in the navy, and 2.5 years without much opportunity to review for myself trying to remember the upper kata names, and the whole thing.

geikihas, seiunchin, seisan, are just a few of the ones i need serious review of and it's frustrating as heck lol.

kinda sounds like your saying katas were BS or a waste of time?

also worth pointing out that since you are a karate instructor with no formal education, training or knowledge in kickboxing muay thai or mma, you should not be having your students pick technqiues from martial arts you know nothing about and are not qualified to teach and having them practice said techniques from martial arts your not qualified to teach.........rather you should just stick to what you know, karate, and have them do katas.

your not a mma, KB, or MT coach, so you should not be teaching your students these techniques.

Where do you get off having your students practice martial arts your not qualified to teach?

stick to karate bud. ;)

also worth pointing out that since you are a karate instructor with no formal education, training or knowledge in kickboxing muay thai or mma, you should not be having your students pick technqiues from martial arts you know nothing about and are not qualified to teach and having them practice said techniques from martial arts your not qualified to teach.........rather you should just stick to what you know, karate, and have them do katas.

your not a mma, KB, or MT coach, so you should not be teaching your students these techniques.

Where do you get off having your students practice martial arts your not qualified to teach?

stick to karate bud. ;)
you're kinda cute when you try to be clever ;)

@JohnPJones

this is bullshit and a total disrespect to KB, MMA and K1, your not a a KB, MMA or K1, coach, your a karate instructor. You are not qualified to teach techniques from martial arts you know nothing about. What makes you think just because you know karate, you can have your students practice KB, MMA or k1 techniques? Do you know how many years of training these guys have put in to their martial art? and just because you know karate you think you can teach a KB technique? Your are completely disrespecting KB and sounds alot like your running a mcdojo. Stick to karate mcdojos, and dont bring KB into it.

step 1
pick any MMA, KB, K-1 fighter you want

your not a MMA coach

your not a k1 coach

your not a KB coach

your a karate coach, what makes you think you can teach KB, k1 or MMA just because you know karate? because you saw it on youtube? gtfo here.

just because you know karate doesnt qualify you to teach these other martial arts, they are completely different things and its a huge disrespect to each and everyone of them that you think you can teach them just because you know karate or cross trained in them a bit.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure that specifically was discussed in another thread, with kata being compared to shadow boxing for boxers and kick boxers.

it helps to create muscle memory, and for me personally during my first year in the navy, i spent most of my time at sea, and being busy, and not having much space, equipment and every surface being steel, kata was about the only method i had to train or practice during deployments or general training/work up underway periods.

just think of them as any other single person drill and i guess you'll have your answer in your own opinion.
I like some Kata moves but is just like dancing moves. Is not useful for fighting. In shadow u imagine you r fighting and your opponent is attacking you, and defending and moving around you

I like some Kata moves but is just like dancing moves. Is not useful for fighting. In shadow u imagine you r fighting and your opponent is attacking you, and defending and moving around you

katas have nothing to do with fighting, kata should change its name to japanese line dancing

i think a better question is more along the lines of
“Is kata so important to training as to warrant the amount of time dedicated to it in many dojos?”

I’d say no. It seems a lot of schools will do a warm up say 5% of class time, then spend 75% or more of the time remaining on kata, and then maybe 20% of the class is some other drills/ form of training, with 90% of testings revolving around kata.

I don’t think kata is THAT important and any school advertising themselves as a self defense school should spend at least as much time on applying technique from kata with varying levels of resistance as they spend mindlessly repeating kata.

i think a better question is more along the lines of
“Is kata so important to training as to warrant the amount of time dedicated to it in many dojos?”

I’d say no. It seems a lot of schools will do a warm up say 5% of class time, then spend 75% or more of the time remaining on kata, and then maybe 20% of the class is some other drills/ form of training, with 90% of testings revolving around kata.

I don’t think kata is THAT important and any school advertising themselves as a self defense school should spend at least as much time on applying technique from kata with varying levels of resistance as they spend mindlessly repeating kata.

kata is a major part of karate and any school that neglects it to soley focus on fighting techniques is a mcdojo that is purely in it for the money, not a true martial artists, and is a complete disrespect to karate. learning both katas and japanese is a requirement of true karate and directly reflects their fighting ability. i dont care how good someone can fight... i want to know their goku ryu hadouken allyoucan capabilities. kiai!!!!!!!!!

Theres actually a traditional okinawan karate school near me @JohnPJones, but I don't think I'm going to join it because i rather focus on the boxing for now. But the katas i will practice in my free time the funny thing is when I was training in NYC the instructor over there was teaching muay thai at the boxing gym I was training at, and he had me practice 1 kata briefly for a day.

I'm just looking to get some kicking in.

well you can learn how to throw a muay thai kick or you can learn how ot throw a similar kick, say it in japanese, and practice japanese line dancing for the next 5 yrs. which doyou pefer?

That's what's quite interesting about kata, it's almost like proto-shadowboxing.

I'm not 100% how a kata is designed but a good one would be say jab, rear straight, duck in for a shadow takedown. I think it may end up resembling shadowboxing because I think kata assumes multiple attackers a bit.

Tayski could probably explain more

Last edited:
Perseverance is a virtual and a testament to professionals as High Rank Martial Artists!

Worley-Carnahan-Burleson-kneeling.jpg

Link:- https://www.chicagonk.com/historic-10th-degree-black-belt-promotion/

stick to karate bud. ;)

kata is a major part of karate and any school that neglects it to soley focus on fighting techniques is a mcdojo that is purely in it for the money, not a true martial artists, and is a complete disrespect to karate. learning both katas and japanese is a requirement of true karate and directly reflects their fighting ability. i dont care how good someone can fight... i want to know their goku ryu hadouken allyoucan capabilities. kiai!!!!!!!!!

I feel like my efforts to try and explain that Karate is not Muay Thai and that there is a syllabus to learn with kihon, katas and Japanese terminology with long informative post was all futile and a waste of my time. Instead you try to be sarcastic and you are still convinced you're good enough to teach Karate. Fuck spending any more of my time reasoning with someone so ignorant.

I feel like my efforts to try and explain that Karate is not Muay Thai and that there is a syllabus to learn with kihon, katas and Japanese terminology with long informative post was all futile and a waste of my time. Instead you try to be sarcastic and you are still convinced you're good enough to teach Karate. Fuck spending any more of my time reasoning with someone so ignorant.
i think he's mostly just mad the forum new guy tried to tell him that teaching a karate class with little to no karate experience is a scam at best.

you and andy said all the same things to him i did, but since you've been around a while and he knows you he's not mad at you guys. it's just easier to be mad at the new guy.

Back