kata exercise

Yeah those guidelines you gave were for teaching adult classes, not an auxiliary toddlers's class. And I have been in many Karate and BJJ classes. The beginner classes are taught by purples (BJJ- same gym that wins the interstate/regionals every year) and mere 2nd year students in Karate teaching kids' classes. You're pretending the standards are far stricter than they actually are (for kids/beginner classes, especially). Nobody holds toddler classes to blackbelt minimum requirements, sorry. They might have them in some cases, but they don't cancel them if a blackbelt isn't available, they let a student takeover or teach a beginner's class. How do I know this?

Huh.

Purple belts need a bare minimum of 5 years worth of BJJ training. You do know that right?

BJJ is far stricter on teaching requirements than karate.

I've just explained to you multiple times that the bare minimum for teaching karate classes is shodan (black belt) for most karate organisations.

Lower grades can assist an instructor - not teach by themselves.

Shin wanted to teach kyokushin specifically. You will never find lower grades in kyokushin teaching a kids class by themselves without assisting the instructor.

Leading the class in kihon does not equal teaching the class.

Well, if Shincheckin came around and it wasn't his original idea but you suggested it and he took it, then I don't know why you guys are still coming to argue with him. I honestly don't care who's original idea it was-- to keep being salty about it (saying it's not enough) after he has agreed to those terms (maybe it was never a problem, either way) is just infantile. That's what I have a problem with.

No everyone suggested it. Arguments are a two way street. In this case posters have been explaining repeatedly to do just that. There have been arguments because you guys wouldn't accept what we were telling you and were arguing about it. Then taking the piss. Then arguing about it some more. Don't ask for advice or communicate with people if you don't want to hear there views.

Your're still arguing about it. Just look above. You're proving my point. I've told you three times on this page alone - and each time you're still arguing the point that karate can be taught by lower grades.

I've told you it can't - as someone with years of karate experience. Yet you're ignoring what I'm saying and still arguing. Many posters with even more karate experience than me have told you guys the same thing.

Salty this isn't. Not being able to put your hands up and say ok they might know something I don't - is the issue and why I posted after avoiding this discussion after saying my piece at the very beginning.

When people are correcting you - jumping straight to their salty without looking at what you're doing to get that reaction - is what a mature human being does.

Huh.

Purple belts need a bare minimum of 5 years worth of BJJ training. You do know that right?

BJJ is far stricter on teaching requirements than karate.

I've just explained to you multiple times that the bare minimum for teaching karate classes is shodan (black belt) for most karate organisations.

Lower grades can assist an instructor - not teach by themselves.

Shin wanted to teach kyokushin specifically. You will never find lower grades in kyokushin teaching a kids class by themselves without assisting the instructor.

Leading the class in kihon does not equal teaching the class.

No everyone suggested it. Arguments are a two way street. In this case posters have been explaining repeatedly to do just that. There have been arguments because you guys wouldn't accept what we were telling you and were arguing about it. Then taking the piss. Then arguing about it some more. Don't ask for advice or communicate with people if you don't want to hear there views.

Your're still arguing about it. Just look above. You're proving my point. I've told you three times on this page alone - and each time you're still arguing the point that karate can be taught by lower grades.

I've told you it can't - as someone with years of karate experience. Yet you're ignoring what I'm saying and still arguing. Many posters with even more karate experience than me have told you guys the same thing.

Salty this isn't. Not being able to put your hands up and say ok they might know something I don't - is the issue and why I posted after avoiding this discussion after saying my piece at the very beginning.

When people are correcting you - jumping straight to their salty without looking at what you're doing to get that reaction - is what a mature human being does.

Purple belt takes 2-3 years tops. In fact one guy i know who is very athletic trained with my old bjj intstructor who is very well known and accomplished in the bjj world and he got his pruple belt in nearly 2 years.

Yeah those guidelines you gave were for teaching adult classes, not an auxiliary toddlers's class. And I have been in many Karate and BJJ classes. The beginner classes are taught by purples (BJJ- same gym that wins the interstate/regionals every year) and mere 2nd year students in Karate teaching kids' classes. You're pretending the standards are far stricter than they actually are (for kids/beginner classes, especially). Nobody holds toddler classes to blackbelt minimum requirements, sorry. They might have them in some cases, but they don't cancel them if a blackbelt isn't available, they let a student takeover or teach a beginner's class. How do I know this?

Well, if Shincheckin came around and it wasn't his original idea but you suggested it and he took it, then I don't know why you guys are still coming to argue with him. I honestly don't care who's original idea it was-- to keep being salty about it (saying it's not enough) after he has agreed to those terms (maybe it was never a problem, either way) is just infantile. That's what I have a problem with.

There were no guidelines strictly given for the adult class but not the kids class. You guys and shin wanted to make it different by saying "but they're just toddlers not adults, so it's fine". "Toddlers" are supposed to be babies aged 12 to 36 months old by definition. You're not gonna teach Karate or any martial art to kids that age, they can barely even walk let alone attend any kind of class, so let's stop pretending it's about them being very young. It doesn't change anything.

I don't know how it is in the states but I've trained in several Karate dojos from different Karate styles in France, the UK, Sweden, the Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Thailand and Australia and I've never seen or heard of 2nd year students running kids' classes or beginner classes. If anything it's at that level that it's crucial to get the strong basics and foundation and those classes are typically run by the most senior instructors (usually more than just shodan) with the assistance from other black belts or maybe at the most stretched brown belts waiting to pass their black belt. If the senior instructors can't make it somehow, other black belts or maybe occasionally brown belts will cover the class for them, but it's a one off's and not the norm.

Funny you mention "infantile". We're not coming to argue with shin or you guys anymore, but now in every karate thread and every few days shin feels like he has to try and bring new evidence or arguments to try and prove us wrong on that original argument, or simply takes the piss with videos and gif's, who's immature really? Look above, the thread died down for a bit, I post a documentary video about Judd Reid's 100 man kumite in a separate topic, and now shin uses that in this thread to take a quote out of context and somehow try to show that he was right, and after that you guys back him up. If anything he's the salty one that can't let go.

Sorry guys but it's really time to let go, we've told you our educated thoughts on the topic so there's no point dragging this argument in every discussion and every couple of days, let alone trying to use things you don't even know or comprehend like Judd Reid's martial arts complex in Thailand that some of us have actually been to.

The reason there is still argument is because the definitions of what constitutes karate and teaching karate have been changed over and over to keep the argument going. You made this mess and now it's something you have to deal with or just accept that you can't control/change definitions at whim to keep a whim-variable lockdown on things you don't own.

If shin has the blessing from his own karate instructor to teach a little kids' class then that's good enough and it means he has the experience to do so. That's all this is really about and to try to make that controversial was absurd from the beginning.

Last edited:
Purple belt takes 2-3 years tops. In fact one guy i know who is very athletic trained with my old bjj intstructor who is very well known and accomplished in the bjj world and he got his pruple belt in nearly 2 years.
Purple in 2-3? lol

The only guys who touch that are guys who are world beaters and get a "gift" from their instructor to legitimize it

Your guy who's accomplished and done stuff in the BJJ world is proof of the exception to the rule.

Purple in 2-3? lol

The only guys who touch that are guys who are world beaters and get a "gift" from their instructor to legitimize it

Your guy who's accomplished and done stuff in the BJJ world is proof of the exception to the rule.

Really? But it's vitor shaolin if anybody takes bjj seriously its him.

Purple in 2-3? lol

There's grapplers from other disciplines like wrestling or sambo whose skills crossover very strongly, deserve and be rewarded a purple almost immediately and there's nothing wrong with that. That analogy would also be applicable here because the argument that shin should have to spend at least 10 full years training karate when having a successful MT competitive career while already training under a karate teacher is utter nonsense. That's not anyone's but his instructor's call.

I like how everyone just cognitively distances themselves from the fact that 6-8 year olds with blackbelts have been common since at least the 90's, while pretending there's this super badass strict requirement in place, especially to sit in for a little kid's karate/daycare class. Who could actually eavesdrop this assertion and take it seriously

Last edited:
The reason there is still argument is because the definitions of what constitutes karate and teaching karate have been changed over and over to keep the argument going. You made this mess and now it's something you have to deal with or just accept that you can't control/change definitions at whim to keep a whim-variable lockdown on things you don't own.

If shin has the blessing from his own karate instructor to teach a little kids' class then that's good enough and it means he has the experience to do so. That's all this is really about and to try to make that controversial was absurd from the beginning.

The definition has always been the same, only you guys try to twist words to try and sway the argument. Go back to the original thread and look for my posts or even posts from some of the other guys, I'm still repeating the same shit today as I was weeks ago. You don't become a Karate instructor over night regardless of what age class you're teaching. Nothing's changed.

Also, someone saying they want to mislabel what they're gonna teach because that's where the money is, that's what's controversial in the first place. We didn't put that on him, he put that on himself by saying they're just young kids, karate for kids is where the money is and the mums' wouldn't know any better anyway. That's what is questionable in the first place.

And by the way I was suggesting positive alternatives such as labeling it "kids' martial arts" if he doesn't want to call it Muay Thai and wants to attract kids and their mums while not being a fraud. But instead you guys choose to argue about the length of training in karate before becoming a teacher, or that karate and muay thai are so similar that it doesn't matter, or that he'd be teaching fighting anyway (to toddlers yeah right), or that if he learns a few Karate techniques he knows Karate.

Anybody mature enough would just do their thing and not try to convince people on a forum that what they're doing is right by grasping for straws.

Last edited:
There's grapplers from other disciplines like wrestling or sambo whose skills crossover very strongly, deserve and be rewarded a purple almost immediately and there's nothing wrong with that. That analogy would also be applicable here because the argument that shin should have to spend at least 10 full years training karate when having a successful MT competitive career while already training under a karate teacher is utter nonsense. That's not anyone's but his instructor's call.
That's what I mean, people who have paid dues in other disciplines come over to BJJ and are really blues or purples, so them getting promoted quickly is fine, they're not the rule, but the exception. To say 2-3 years tops? Naw

@Azam QUOTE ALL OF THE POST!!

You obviously confused me with someone else. Because i was avoiding this thread for like 3 days. And saying "non stop" is ridiculous. And quote the post where i'm calling people dicks.

the fact that shincheckin wanted to be the karate instructor for the kids without being a certified karate instructor, and the main reason behind it being to make more money.

thats not true.

I want to be a instructor for kids after learning and competing in karate. Just not black belt level.

Main reason being both financial and that I feel combining karate with MT is beneficial.

The mimicking was kicked off by the "karate" guys, specifically in regards to whether a karate kata video was karate or not, which it was labeled not, its mimicking karate. So it was quite comical. Hey is this karate kata video karate? no its mimicking karate. Hey is this karate technique video karate? no its techniques displayed by karateka. Hey is this MT video MT? no its techniques being mimicked by MT fighters lol.

Apparently learning techniques and katas isnt karate until you learn the philosophy which is what was preached through out this thread. I asked for a video example of what "is" karate and none was ever provided.

Instead a documentary about a kyokoushin fighter that lives in thailand and cross trains MT was provided.

Ignore that imposter posing as my cuz. He said i was posting in this thread non stop when i said like 1 or 2 things for like 3 days and was avoiding this thread. And he also said i was calling people dicks for not agreeing with me. And for a limited time he gets defensive about karate when no one is downgrading karate, i mean i think 99% of people in the stand up forum don't have a problem with karate. Everybody just has a different approach to things. Hell i even know a guy who didn't know mma at all and won 3 amatuer mma fights before getting invited to train at ATT. Than became a striking instructor over there.

Really these people are saying that your dragging shit on when you were the one who was not responding for a few days and than started firing back. If anybody's carrying on shit it's them.

And i'm going to say this again, i have nothing against karate. Shin is just going to teach 5 year olds and possibly create his own style of karate or whatever you want to call it. So everybody should just let him do it and see how it turns out.

heres a good documentary on karate, they go into the philosophy on karate as well in this one.

Back