Karo Parisyan vs Joe Riggs

Joe Riggs had all the talent in the world to be one of the best. Great boxing, wrestling, brutal GnP and submissions. But he found a way to lose in ways he never should have lost when speaking of his talents so many times.

The Diego finally killed it all. Getting knocked out by Diego was the worst thing that could of ever happened.

He was not delusional at all. He was a fucking beast in the gym that owned everyone. He had a reputation of being untouchable. If he could fight like he sparred, he would of been up there with Fedor and Anderson Silva. He had insane boxing skills and fought like a traditional boxer in terms of stance and footwork. Quick and powerful lead hand and a lethal left cross.
Yeah yeah yeah, and if my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bike.

Is Riggs the only fighter to go from a LHW fight to a WW fight in the space of 5 months? Okami sort of did the opposite when he agreed to fight OSP at 205 (big mistake). And didn't Riggs blow up to like 250-300 at some point...though I don't think he ever fought at HW?

Probably plenty of Japanese as Minowa did that but yeah, Okami is the most recent I can recall.

I believe you 100 percent!

The actor of Reggie Warren ( YouTube character in 2000s) told a story of going to waffle house with Karo. The place was empty and the waitress didn't seem like she was doing well. After the waffle, Karo gave her 80 dollars for tips.

I know few people who have been around him as friends and training partners and reality is, he is not a bad guy but more of a moody person at worst. I shared my experience with panic attack and he wrote back and was grateful that I took the time to write.

Panic attack was due to stress that was built up. I went through panic attacks and I can say that a decade ago, I seemed like a normal, cool, level headed individual on the quite side who never resorted to insults when disrespected. Yet I had a wild storm of rage and hate that was culminating within and the thing tipped over and my mind was gone. Intrusive thoughts, disturbing scenarios of me losing control and doing fucked up shit and every other angst that comes with panic attacks. I had all of it on the menu.

Now that was speaking for myself. For Karo, he became the bread winner of his family and truth is, he got in to MMA as a 14 year old just to have fun and pass the time. All of a sudden it became a career, a serious thing that he needs to do well so that his family can survive. This caused a ripple in his psyche.

MMA went from an adventure to serious business. Look at how calm and cool he is as a 14 year old:

Not getting worked up, not getting all overly excited. It was like another day in the office.

20 years!!??

I thought you met him like in 2004 and then realized it was him a year or two later. What year did you met him and what year did you realize it was Karo?

The irony of your post isn't lost on me...

I'll be sure to respond to the rest soon or at worst tomorrow. Literally half asleep. Class tomorrow.

I met him just before UFC 44 not sure if it was months or what. It MAY have been at the golden state open if not it was the same venue (if you can call it that.
I think it was John Glenn highschool in Norwalk,CA

So it was 2003 I think. I realized it was him the Monday after UFC 44 after my instructor was like duh.

The 20 year thing I never put together was in regards to the meme of " do you even know who I am bro?" I at the time didn't nor did he mention that phrase haha.

Last edited:

The actor of Reggie Warren ( YouTube character in 2000s) told a story of going to waffle house with Karo. The place was empty and the waitress didn't seem like she was doing well. After the waffle, Karo gave her 80 dollars for tips.

I know few people who have been around him as friends and training partners and reality is, he is not a bad guy but more of a moody person at worst. I shared my experience with panic attack and he wrote back and was grateful that I took the time to write.

Panic attack was due to stress that was built up. I went through panic attacks and I can say that a decade ago, I seemed like a normal, cool, level headed individual on the quite side who never resorted to insults when disrespected. Yet I had a wild storm of rage and hate that was culminating within and the thing tipped over and my mind was gone. Intrusive thoughts, disturbing scenarios of me losing control and doing fucked up shit and every other angst that comes with panic attacks. I had all of it on the menu.

Now that was speaking for myself. For Karo, he became the bread winner of his family and truth is, he got in to MMA as a 14 year old just to have fun and pass the time. All of a sudden it became a career, a serious thing that he needs to do well so that his family can survive. This caused a ripple in his psyche.

MMA went from an adventure to serious business. Look at how calm and cool he is as a 14 year old:

Not getting worked up, not getting all overly excited. It was like another day in the office.

20 years!!??

I thought you met him like in 2004 and then realized it was him a year or two later. What year did you met him and what year did you realize it was Karo?

Eh forget posting tomorrow, thanks for sharing. I can relate a bit. Have had terrible anxiety since my teens (32 now, seems I was 14 when I met Karo.)
Granted for myself it never really expressed itself in any rage or destructive behavior. I guess mostly depression and avoidance.

Another thing that's really important to bring up regarding his moodiness was the prescription drug problem. And I'm far from judging.
I went through a very similar situation. Over competing with injuries on top of injuries. never taking breaks from practice or competition. Doctors just loaded me up on painkillers.
Complete non issue now but I can totally see how that has someone come across and agitated and a bit wacky to say it nicely.

Difference between the him and myself was I had no family to care for. And I sure as hell wasn't a top contender. I taught a small little team of guys...
The responsibility and pressure issue there is night and day.
I'm sure given myself being in that situation as likeable as I like to think I am would have been worse than Karo is interpreted.

Anyway long story short. Really awesome about his response. Makes me happy to hear, and hope you're doing as well as possible

What year roughly was that?

20 years!!??

Lastly that video is awesome with the Blade Runner theme.

Unrelated. Anyone ever notice the similarity of the song to Scrap Brain Zone in Sonic?

It would probably look something like Hughes vs. Riggs tbh.
2_medium.gif

I'll be sure to respond to the rest soon or at worst tomorrow. Literally half asleep. Class tomorrow.

I met him just before UFC 44 not sure if it was months or what. It MAY have been at the golden state open if not it was the same venue (if you can call it that.
I think it was John Glenn highschool in Norwalk,CA

So it was 2003 I think. I realized it was him the Monday after UFC 44 after my instructor was like duh.

The 20 year thing I never put together was in regards to the meme of " do you even know who I am bro?" I at the time didn't nor did he mention that phrase haha.

Oh my bad, it was a figure of speech that I took literal.

Before the do you know who I am incident, karo was a fan favorite. Tuf incident turned him to a villain and oddly enough he never recovered nor was he forgiven.

Now if a fighter does something shitty it's usually forgotten after a week or so.

Eh forget posting tomorrow, thanks for sharing. I can relate a bit. Have had terrible anxiety since my teens (32 now, seems I was 14 when I met Karo.)
Granted for myself it never really expressed itself in any rage or destructive behavior. I guess mostly depression and avoidance.

Another thing that's really important to bring up regarding his moodiness was the prescription drug problem. And I'm far from judging.
I went through a very similar situation. Over competing with injuries on top of injuries. never taking breaks from practice or competition. Doctors just loaded me up on painkillers.
Complete non issue now but I can totally see how that has someone come across and agitated and a bit wacky to say it nicely.

Difference between the him and myself was I had no family to care for. And I sure as hell wasn't a top contender. I taught a small little team of guys...
The responsibility and pressure issue there is night and day.
I'm sure given myself being in that situation as likeable as I like to think I am would have been worse than Karo is interpreted.

Anyway long story short. Really awesome about his response. Makes me happy to hear, and hope you're doing as well as possible

What year roughly was that?

For me and many like me the anxiety and the rage was losing control and hurting loved ones or doing acts that are against my morals. Going off on a person i hate was not an issue at all but rather cathartic.

Right now I am 33 years old and the panic attacks were in 2009. I remember it exactly being January and an irregular heartbeat which led to health paranoia.

Once I realized it was all anxiety and panic attacks things died down. It would try to loop in cycle but every cycle it would get weaker and weaker until the effect disappeared.

5 years later I dealt with ptsd after a violent encounter with a relative. Took me around two years to completely recover.

I always wondered if someone went through these incidents early On, would they develop immunity or do we descend further in to madness.

Lastly that video is awesome with the Blade Runner theme.

Unrelated. Anyone ever notice the similarity of the song to Scrap Brain Zone in Sonic?

I love the music as well. To me it's a futuristic interpretation of folks in the 90s.

Oddly enough Karo's best fight might have been a decision loss to GSP. Karo was working serious subs while GSP was laying and praying.

He busted up Karo good. Karo had two good moments isolating an arm and it entertaining. He was controlled and beaten the rest. No lay and pray.

A bit retro but I remember Joe Riggs mentioning that at one point BJ Penn/Matt Hughes/GSP were the three kings of the welterweight division and that he and Karo were close behind them and that a fight between them may happen.

Who do you think would win if they fought back then?
I feel like I fell into a time machine and went back 15 years with you bringing up Karo Parsnippian...

He busted up Karo good. Karo had two good moments isolating an arm and it entertaining. He was controlled and beaten the rest. No lay and pray.
Please. He held top position and threw a few strikes. Took very few chances. Highlights what's wrong the the UFC.

Back