Karo Parisyan vs Joe Riggs

That Hughes title shot debacle was sad all the way around. He says yes on a few weeks notice, then Hughes makes him leave camp (they were stable mates), then the scale was off when he weighed in, and they figured it out after he started rehydrating. Then Hughes was such a dick and a bully afterward that he never really came back to the gym full time.

He deserved better.

Hughes was and is a horrible person.

For straight up performance, his debut against Strasser was flawless, and to out grapple Nick DIaz was quite a feat.

I remember just after the GSP fight everyone was writing off Karo to losing to some nobody, amazing what hindsight can do.

I still wish Karo fought Hughes (Injury), I think he was a great stylistic matchup against hughes

Post Script, Random Karo story.

I went to some judo tournament forever ago, in Norwalk, CA in the finals I did a sumi gaeshi (think the reversal KZ did against poirier) and they gave the ippon to the other guy.

I went and pouted and some random Aremenian dude came up to me and was saying that was a bad call, complimented my matches before, even asked how i set up a specific thing, really made me feel a ton better, we probably chit chatted for well over an hour.

Fast forward a few months or so, Saw UFC 44 I think it was, the following monday went into judo saying to my sensei some guy just mopped the floor with some other guy using really nice judo. "His name was kiro or kero or something..."
Instructor said "Karo" i was like that's it,
He called me a retard and explained that's the guy I was hanging out with at the tournament.

Not partircularly related, I know Karo gets this rap as being a bit of a dick, but he was really kind to me, Good guy.
SO you didnt know who he was bro?

There was a time when Karo was looked at as a high level special talent, never really took off
he wowed people with his Judo stints, koshi/ogoshi gurumas, etc. He didn't evolve as a striker imho hence stopped developing.

I think Riggs connects with the KO personally, maybe in round 2 when they are a bit winded.

Diesel was always tough, but Karo would have tossed him like a sack of napkins

They both were so inconsistent who knows what versions of each guy would show up on fight night.

How about versions who beat Nick Diaz? Cause both of them did, LOL.

Is Riggs the only fighter to go from a LHW fight to a WW fight in the space of 5 months? Okami sort of did the opposite when he agreed to fight OSP at 205 (big mistake). And didn't Riggs blow up to like 250-300 at some point...though I don't think he ever fought at HW?

Is Riggs the only fighter to go from a LHW fight to a WW fight in the space of 5 months? Okami sort of did the opposite when he agreed to fight OSP at 205 (big mistake). And didn't Riggs blow up to like 250-300 at some point...though I don't think he ever fought at HW?

He started 250lbs+ HW ..and worked all the way down to 170...pretty crazy...

From 2001 till 2004 he was a HW...

ritc-riggs.gif

Dude still fighting hes only ,,38

For straight up performance, his debut against Strasser was flawless, and to out grapple Nick DIaz was quite a feat.

I remember just after the GSP fight everyone was writing off Karo to losing to some nobody, amazing what hindsight can do.

I still wish Karo fought Hughes (Injury), I think he was a great stylistic matchup against hughes

Post Script, Random Karo story.

I went to some judo tournament forever ago, in Norwalk, CA in the finals I did a sumi gaeshi (think the reversal KZ did against poirier) and they gave the ippon to the other guy.

I went and pouted and some random Aremenian dude came up to me and was saying that was a bad call, complimented my matches before, even asked how i set up a specific thing, really made me feel a ton better, we probably chit chatted for well over an hour.

Fast forward a few months or so, Saw UFC 44 I think it was, the following monday went into judo saying to my sensei some guy just mopped the floor with some other guy using really nice judo. "His name was kiro or kero or something..."
Instructor said "Karo" i was like that's it,
He called me a retard and explained that's the guy I was hanging out with at the tournament.

Not partircularly related, I know Karo gets this rap as being a bit of a dick, but he was really kind to me, Good guy.

I believe you 100 percent!

The actor of Reggie Warren ( YouTube character in 2000s) told a story of going to waffle house with Karo. The place was empty and the waitress didn't seem like she was doing well. After the waffle, Karo gave her 80 dollars for tips.

I know few people who have been around him as friends and training partners and reality is, he is not a bad guy but more of a moody person at worst. I shared my experience with panic attack and he wrote back and was grateful that I took the time to write.

This. I think pre panic attacks Karo was going to beat Hughes. Unfortunately, that’s part of why he started having panic attacks.

Panic attack was due to stress that was built up. I went through panic attacks and I can say that a decade ago, I seemed like a normal, cool, level headed individual on the quite side who never resorted to insults when disrespected. Yet I had a wild storm of rage and hate that was culminating within and the thing tipped over and my mind was gone. Intrusive thoughts, disturbing scenarios of me losing control and doing fucked up shit and every other angst that comes with panic attacks. I had all of it on the menu.

Now that was speaking for myself. For Karo, he became the bread winner of his family and truth is, he got in to MMA as a 14 year old just to have fun and pass the time. All of a sudden it became a career, a serious thing that he needs to do well so that his family can survive. This caused a ripple in his psyche.

MMA went from an adventure to serious business. Look at how calm and cool he is as a 14 year old:

Not getting worked up, not getting all overly excited. It was like another day in the office.

Haha, At the time I did not.
after like 20 years I never actually put that together, haha.

20 years!!??

I thought you met him like in 2004 and then realized it was him a year or two later. What year did you met him and what year did you realize it was Karo?

Joe riggs is a coward

The irony of your post isn't lost on me...

Riggs was always insanely delusional. He was nowhere near the top of WW, and he was gifted a fight against Hughes and then didn't even make weight. He was known for saying ridiculous things post fight like 'that was only 70% of my potential' and losses 'that was 30% of my potential'. Dude got fucking flatlined by Diego ...

Riggs was always insanely delusional. He was nowhere near the top of WW, and he was gifted a fight against Hughes and then didn't even make weight. He was known for saying ridiculous things post fight like 'that was only 70% of my potential' and losses 'that was 30% of my potential'. Dude got fucking flatlined by Diego ...

Pre CTE Diego was a monster.

He was not delusional at all. He was a fucking beast in the gym that owned everyone. He had a reputation of being untouchable. If he could fight like he sparred, he would of been up there with Fedor and Anderson Silva. He had insane boxing skills and fought like a traditional boxer in terms of stance and footwork. Quick and powerful lead hand and a lethal left cross.

Riggs, Diego, Nick Diaz....we have some characters now, but I think there were even more crazy dudes back then.

He started 250lbs+ HW ..and worked all the way down to 170...pretty crazy...

From 2001 till 2004 he was a HW...

View attachment 848649

Dude still fighting hes only ,,38

Hard to believe he's only 38--just a year older than Tony Ferguson, who started MMA much later in life. In fact, Riggs peaked around age 23-24 (first UFC tenure) before Tony was even fighting.

Back