Karate Combat lessons after 4 years

MMA guys with high achievements usually are cross trained. GSP first base was KK and then he learned wrestling, BJJ and boxing, he also had sparred with kickboxers and different styles karatekas etc.
The same Fedor too was cross trained, more than this: had competed in judo, sport sambo and combat sambo before turned into MMA type fighter. Had also paid to boxers, KBers to spar with him.

Most mma fighters train out of mma gyms where they train striking and grappling for mma. Of course quite a few top level guys have bases in other things before going to mma. Some will go out during their mma careers and work with masters of the arts mma takes inspiration from, as GSP did working with roach and others.

My implied point was that GSP is often thought of as an MMA guy in a relatively pure sense in his current fighting style, in many ways being a pretty good ambassador for that textbook modern mma striking with the longer, deeper stance, eclectic kicking but he too has a base in kyokushin and there are more like him that don't always register as kyokushin guys in MMA.

I’m not saying participation is what makes KK worse, you said look at the number of shotokan karateka in kickboxing. The numbers don’t matter what matters is how those who participate fair.

Your clearly have some reading comprehension issues. What I wrote is that you should compare the number of successful Kyokushin fighters (and ifs off-shoots) there has been in Kickboxing versus the number of successful Shotokan and other traditional Karate styles in Kickboxing.

Then you would understand why your theory that point scoring Karate is better suited for full contact is flawed.

I personally come from Shotokan Karate (JKA and WKF) then transitioned to Kyokushin and then to Muay Thai. I can tell you that going from semi contact to full contact when you're not used to taking hard hits, or low kicks or not used to trading continuous strikes rather than "I hit you first and it resets" is much more difficult than adjusting to head punches from a style like Kyokushin.

In Karate Combat you're not allowed low kicks, elbows, knees, and so on. It's designed for point scoring fighters / sports karate fighters. You could take a Muay Thai fighter and he might lose under those rules. Would you then make the conclusion that sports karate is better than Muay Thai for full contact?

Come on.

Your clearly have some reading comprehension issues. What I wrote is that you should compare the number of successful Kyokushin fighters (and ifs off-shoots) there has been in Kickboxing versus the number of successful Shotokan and other traditional Karate styles in Kickboxing.

No such data exists. Shotokan, Goju and Wado Karatekas have never done K1 Kickboxing. Not even Machida.

Most mma fighters train out of mma gyms where they train striking and grappling for mma.
It is modern tendency: MMA is young sport and now there are gyms for MMA.
I had experienced how looked MMA fight in small hall show approx 20 years ago.
Promoter had basically book with MMA rules, had booked local kickboxers to do MMA fights and they did MMA fight and this looked like kickboxing fight with MMA gloves. Cos they had 0 experience in grappling.

Still even today a lot of MMA pros had did MMA fights because they had been offered cos their credentials in another sport.
Gyms too not rarely loves to get lads with previous experience in some combat sport, I had saw a lot of such examples and with BJJ gyms too: for example one BJJ club had blue belt fighter who was judoka with nidan in Judo and had competed in Games. Another fighter this BJJ gym had then was purple BJJ belt, guy who is Master of Sport International class in combat sambo.
Imagine this stuff vs hobbyist purple BJJ belt? Now he most likely is brown BJJ belt cos long ago some tutors from Brasil and US had told that he is as bare minimum brown belt real level.
My implied point was that GSP is often thought of as an MMA guy in a relatively pure sense in his current fighting style, in many ways being a pretty good ambassador for that textbook modern mma striking with the longer, deeper stance, eclectic kicking but he too has a base in kyokushin
GSP was really great.
My point is that he had offers to do MMA fights cos he then already was hybrid.
Hybrid is guy who does have training in multiple arts under belt.
GSP had KK and then trained wrestling and BJJ, boxing. It is hybrid and he was great.

No such data exists. Shotokan, Goju and Wado Karatekas have never done K1 Kickboxing. Not even Machida.

Yes such data exists. There have been plenty of traditional karate stylists from Shotokan and other traditional styles in k-1 and other kickboxing organizations.

Please do some research instead of talking out of your ass.

The level of knowledge and expertise on such topics by people in this sub-forum is shocking.

. Shotokan, Goju and Wado Karatekas have never done K1 Kickboxing. Not even Machida.
You mean K-1 org? It is done long ago.

You might have intent to see how looks kicks from hybrids?
1 st example: do you think a kick from Cro Cop did not had worked on ppl?
If you know who he is.
Cro Cop had as first base TKD and Shotokan ( like Cikatic ) and h2h training + am kicboxing base.

Yes such data exists. There have been plenty of traditional karate stylists from Shotokan and other traditional styles in k-1 and other kickboxing organizations.

Please do some research instead of talking out of your ass.

The level of knowledge and expertise on such topics by people in this sub-forum is shocking.

Name one in K1 rules.

Name one in K1 rules.

Hideaki Yamazaki, current K-1 champion at 65kg and Krush champion in 2 weight classes. He's a Shotokan Karateka and black belt.

There's been tons of others who didn't have much success and a few who did succeed.

Obviously you don't follow the sport and don't have a clue, hence why when you say "no such data exist" or "Shotokan, Goju and Wado Karatekas have never done K1 Kickboxing" you're just completely talking out of your ass. When you don't know about a subject, I'd advise not trying to pass things as facts or telling people who do know about the topic that they're wrong.

Hideaki Yamazaki, current K-1 champion at 65kg and Krush champion in 2 weight classes. He's a Shotokan Karateka and black belt.

There's been tons of others who didn't have much success and a few who did succeed.

Black belt non withstanding, he doesn't have any merits in Shotokan competitons.

From some dutch site:
Karate record:

2006. 8. Tsukishinkai Osaka Karate turnir
2008. 102. Shin Karate K-2 Exchange turnir u lakoj kategoriji
2009 104. Shin Karate K-2 Tournament u lakoj kategoriji
2009 20. sav Japan Shin Karate prvenstvo u lakoj kategoriji Wikipedia site:hr2.wiki

Black belt non withstanding, he doesn't have any merits in Shotokan competitons.

From some dutch site:
Karate record:

2006. 8. Tsukishinkai Osaka Karate turnir
2008. 102. Shin Karate K-2 Exchange turnir u lakoj kategoriji
2009 104. Shin Karate K-2 Tournament u lakoj kategoriji
2009 20. sav Japan Shin Karate prvenstvo u lakoj kategoriji Wikipedia site:hr2.wiki

Again you don't have a clue and talk out of your ass. Do some proper research before throwing false statements about someone you didn't even know existed.

I'm not even going to bother educating you when you're just arguing for the sake of it every time you're proven wrong.

Again you don't have a clue and talk out of your ass. Do some proper research before throwing false statements about someone you didn't even know existed.

I'm not even going to bother educating you when you're just arguing for the sake of it every time you're proven wrong.

Show me a Shotokan competition merit from this guy or shut the fuck up and apologize

Show me a Shotokan competition merit from this guy or shut the fuck up and apologize

There are several listed on the Wikipedia page that you quoted you bellend. He placed 3rd nationally as a jr high student in Shotokan for instance.

Now you apologize and fuck off.

Then you would understand why your theory that point scoring Karate is better suited for full contact is flawed.

I personally come from Shotokan Karate (JKA and WKF) then transitioned to Kyokushin and then to Muay Thai. I can tell you that going from semi contact to full contact when you're not used to taking hard hits, or low kicks or not used to trading continuous strikes rather than "I hit you first and it resets" is much more difficult than adjusting to head punches from a style like Kyokushin.

In Karate Combat you're not allowed low kicks, elbows, knees, and so on. It's designed for point scoring fighters / sports karate fighters. You could take a Muay Thai fighter and he might lose under those rules. Would you then make the conclusion that sports karate is better than Muay Thai for full contact?

Come on.
KC does and always has allowed for low kicks, but what ever you say

You even did not had get in your brains: karate like JJJ had not been originally designed for competitons.
If some rules or style doesn't likes you or you are just trolling, go for it. This forum is troll pharm.

While TMA orgin lads who had competed in MMA, kickboxing I never had saw in real life so dumb talks like in forums.

If it does works it does work and cross training is life reality.
Including yeah, for KK and Shotokan based lads who had later turned into KBers.

It is real life not useless talks in internet like style vs style.
Btw how Mirce is doing, don't you wish to get some Shotokan kick from him again?

I think it allows calf kicks and sweeps, but not low kicks such as thigh kicks, I could be wrong but that was my understanding.
i think they allowed below the knee but not on the thigh. Oblique kicks as deterrent was allowed last I saw

KC does and always has allowed for low kicks, but what ever you say

No they don't. Are you people incapable of researching anything before posting on this sub-forum?

From their own website:
"LEGAL TECHNIQUES while standing:
All kicking techniques delivered to the front and side of the head, and torso above the beltline. Roundhouse or hooking kicks (non-linear or thrusting) kicks delivered to legs below the knees only.

FOULS - Including but not limited to:
Striking with the knee, elbow, forearm or head

Kicking the portion of the leg below the hip and above the lower part of the knee"

Link: https://www.karate.com/about/rules-regulations

Low kicks aren't allowed, only calf kicks because in the more traditional styles of Karate like Shotokan they like sweeping the lower part of the leg.

As I said you're also not allowed low kicks, knees, elbows, kicks to the arms, uppercuts and so on. Their rules are designed for point scoring Karatekas.

Last edited:
No thigh kicks, but calf kicks are indeed low kicks.

Low kicks are known to be roundhouse kicks to the thighs in the entire full contact community, if you had done any training in Kyokushin or its off-shoots, Kickboxing or Muay Thai you would know this.

Go and search low kick in Google, youtube etc and see what you find.

Back