Kajukenbo Effective

GIJoe6186 said:
Too late for that. I joined up with BJJ, Boxing and Wrestling. Never seemed better. I know what you mean though and I still take a similar approach from Kajukenbo. I train in multiple arts and put them together, now known as MMA. The big thing though I took from my Kempo years wasnt realy the training but the techniques I was shown. For instance we never sparred much but I was taught how to kick and punch, elbow and knee. I use the techniques I learned back then and just apply aliveness to them. If it dont work I dont use it. I found most of the trapping to suck except for the most basic types. In fact I still use some reaps, strikes and locks from the system just with my new found aliveness.

You're on the right path then with an open mind and realism as your primary goal - You can't go wrong. It's just hard to find someone to train with that doesnt go running away at the first sight of blood. LOL

If your ever in the Jacksonville, NC you can come play with us. You wont be dissapointed. Nice thing about training with a Doc; I can break you then fix you on site. Or vise sersa, Im human. Its a give and take world.
"You show me, then I show you:icon_twis "

LOL

OpethDrums said:
what art is it comparable to? no one wants to look it up lol

It's an off-shoot of Okinawan Karate but Hawaiins invented it. I fought a couple of Kajukenbo guys back in my Tae Kwon do days at open Tournaments in Texas. They were always tough SOB's who hit like trucks.

I dont know about nowadays though, when all anyone is gonna do anymore is shoot and put you on your back!

KravMachado said:
I dont know about nowadays though, when all anyone is gonna do anymore is shoot and put you on your back!

Are you refering to sport events or street???

Doc:confused:

AHHH I knew this would happen. Anyway sport and street dont mean anything. Fighting is fighting. I just read an article in Grappling magazine about a guy in Iraq using his training to subdue suspects. A guy he was arressting and searching grabbe dhis gun and tried to shoot. Without though he pushed him into a car, then cranked on a standing Kimura and broke the guys arm and shoulder. They also train as a sport using alot of BJJ, Judo, Boxing and MT. So how does it matter?

Any body know where I can find school near Northern California. Preferably the bay area?

yea in any case... best art to train for MMA? ... MMA.

get out to an MMA gym.. and train.

best way to train for combat? find a combat system that focuses on killing or being killed and train.

likewise for TMA's or holistics or anything else out there.

match the design w. the intended purpose and you won't go wrong.

I used to compete and train with a couple kajikempo guys and they were good full contact fighters. One guy had a glass eye and I always tried to circle to his blind side but he always caught me. After about a year of training with him I asked him how he always caught me and he admitted that he was using the mirrors in the gym to spot me and would always catch me with a spinning elbow.

Good times!

I used to compete and train with a couple kajikempo guys and they were good full contact fighters. One guy had a glass eye and I always tried to circle to his blind side but he always caught me. After about a year of training with him I asked him how he always caught me and he admitted that he was using the mirrors in the gym to spot me and would always catch me with a spinning elbow.

Good times!

gotta give him credit for knowing how to use his surroundings

in the real world that is 1/2 the battle.

Isn't Kajukenbo basically what Hackleman based his Hawaiian Kempo off of...?

It was originally created as a sort of "Traditional MMA" where a bunch of instructors from different disciplines got together, beat the crap out of each other and decided what to add to a comprehensive system, no?

From my understanding, originally it was DAMN hardcore, much like today's MMA/MuayThai/BJJ gyms where we train with "aliveness" and people regularly got injured due to the intense training...but after time, they kinda "watered down" their system, focusing on "theoretical" effectiveness of their system; b/c this is what sold......and focused their training methodology around self-defense "1-steps"...and ultimately that's what kept them swimming around in the realm of TMA...although, I'm sure there are plenty of schools (as mentioned in several posts) that trained hardcore and stuck to the more practical/alive training...

From what I've seen of it, it's a lot like Parker's American Kenpo...

But yeah...from what I've read, the politics in Kajukenbo is absurd...b/c there were several masters responsible for compiling and consolidating it, each one has their following, or something...each claiming that they know "teh R34l d34dLy Kajukenbo"...

Back