Justin Gaethje's wrestling ability - Khabib untested?

Nobody at LW stands a chance against Khabib. WW is where the real wrestlers are that can stack up to Khabib. Contrary to popular belief Khabib will be quite undersized at WW and size will be the real issue. Just because Khabib was unprofessional and missed weight, does not mean he is as big as the WW's and MW's.

I wouldn't say nobody at LW stands a chance but there's definitely advantage in Khabib's game over them without this elite wrestling background, TD defence type challenge. The majority of the fighters in LW aren't going to stop Khabib's TD's and this is where we need that elite fighter in there to challenge him this way, it's a little too easy for Khabib really.

However that said, I don't think the fighters in LW have no chance against Khabib, I think they all do but it's not in their favour and this is the problem. Dustin could very well beat him, will he? Maybe not, but the possibility is there and I do feel there are fighters capable too (Tony is another) but Gaethje is the best contender I reckon though of course he's not been using his wrestling background constantly like Khabib so it'll be tough, but it's at least heading towards the challenge he needs.

Yeah, I do understand the weight difference specially in the wrestling game. A lot of fighters who have faced Khabib have said that when he gets you on the floor he's heavy and he's strong and it really tires you out, it's very draining which is why they look knackered 5 minutes into the fight or whatever and soon as we see that, it's pretty much game over because they don't have the energy to come back and take him down.

Now had he be going up against a fighter he can't get down so easy due to having a strong level of TD defence, it would be a different story.

However as of now, we know how the fights are going to go more often than not and it's no wonder he's at the top, he's not being challenged enough in this department (through no fault of his own).

I think Khabib doesn't need to be outwrestled to be beaten. He just need to get his takedowns stopped and then get outstriked on the feet. But no one at LW is on his level. Gillespie and Gaethje are very good college wrestlers. It would take an olympian wrestler to stop Khabib's grappling game. Meanwhile, Khabib is improving his striking at lightspeed. He was striking quite well against Barboza (when he wasn't mauling him on the ground).

Exactly this, 100%!!! This is why if Gaethje (for example) was to have the fight booked he would know from day one that he'd have to bring that all into play, brush up on it and work on it but these are the kind of fights Khabib needs to be challenged by and this is where I feel he's untested.

Not through no choice of his own of course, the fighters in the LW division are as they are but if we had these kind of fighters at the top, lets say for argument sake Askren was in the LW weight class and was next in line for a shot at the belt, that would be the perfect scenario.

And one that Khabib needs to have.

Being a great wrestler really worked out for Ben Askerin just 6 days ago.

Anyone could have been hit and caught by that, that would have knocked out anyone who got caught by that, it doesn't mean shit.

Back