Justin Gaethje's wrestling ability - Khabib untested?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Before we get into this please know this is purely from a conversational perspective, there is no doubt Khabib is one of the greatest and deserves all the acclaim for his work however part of me feels as though he's a little untested in certain departments.

Please also kindly read before adding your reply as this is quite important you take this on board first.

A lot of people talk about potential opponents for Khabib such as Tony, Dustin etc.. which is fine, they're great fights and challenges with opponents who have earned their shot that are capable if they deliver however part of me feels these opponents Khabib is facing we're kinda going to get a similar more predictable outcome the same way we did with Conor with these kind of fighters (I'm not comparing those fighters to Conor though I'm sure you get what I mean).

As many of you probably know Justin Gaethje is a highly elite levelled wrestler he just chooses not to use simply because he feels it's not what the fans want however if he was to be put into a fight with Khabib I think he would cause problems simply because I'm not sure Khabib has faced anyone with that amount of wrestling skill and ability. I mean, when Khabib is fighting someone like Conor, Dustin etc. it's only a matter of time in those rounds he gets them to the ground, if they don't KO him pretty early on they're likely to get mauled the same way other similar fighters have as their TD defence isn't as strong as someone such as Gaethje for example which is where Khabib needs to be challenged.

It doesn't even have to be specifically Gaethje, take Askren for example, his take down defence is going to be unreal and I doubt Khabib would get Askren down easily like he does with fighters he's faced in the past (which again is only a matter of time in the 3 or 5 rounds where he gets them down and wears them out).

I suppose to some degree Gregor Gillespie could fit into this, although I do feel he would probably out wrestle Gillespie it could be a different fight we wouldn't expect.

However what do you guys think? Would you like to see Gaethje challenge Khabib and utilise his wrestling and has Khabib been untested in this regard (Askren, Gillespie), I'd love to hear what you guys think?

Keep it respectable, it's just a nice genuine conversation however I do feel this is something to think about and if you've read the post before responding, I'm sure you'll get what I mean :)

Khabib's first UFC opponent was a tough wrestler

He ragdolls all the AKA gym wrestlers in training

Khabib's kryptonite being another wrestler is a meme that needs to die.

Before we get into this please know this is purely from a conversational perspective, there is no doubt Khabib is one of the greatest and deserves all the acclaim for his work however part of me feels as though he's a little untested in certain departments.

Please also kindly read before adding your reply as this is quite important you take this on board first.

A lot of people talk about potential opponents for Khabib such as Tony, Dustin etc.. which is fine, they're great fights and challenges with opponents who have earned their shot that are capable if they deliver however part of me feels these opponents Khabib is facing we're kinda going to get a similar more predictable outcome the same way we did with Conor with these kind of fighters (I'm not comparing those fighters to Conor though I'm sure you get what I mean).

As many of you probably know Justin Gaethje is a highly elite levelled wrestler he just chooses not to use simply because he feels it's not what the fans want however if he was to be put into a fight with Khabib I think he would cause problems simply because I'm not sure Khabib has faced anyone with that amount of wrestling skill and ability. I mean, when Khabib is fighting someone like Conor, Dustin etc. it's only a matter of time in those rounds he gets them to the ground, if they don't KO him pretty early on they're likely to get mauled the same way other similar fighters have as their TD defence isn't as strong as someone such as Gaethje for example which is where Khabib needs to be challenged.

It doesn't even have to be specifically Gaethje, take Askren for example, his take down defence is going to be unreal and I doubt Khabib would get Askren down easily like he does with fighters he's faced in the past (which again is only a matter of time in the 3 or 5 rounds where he gets them down and wears them out).

I suppose to some degree Gregor Gillespie could fit into this, although I do feel he would probably out wrestle Gillespie it could be a different fight we wouldn't expect.

However what do you guys think? Would you like to see Gaethje challenge Khabib and utilise his wrestling and has Khabib been untested in this regard (Askren, Gillespie), I'd love to hear what you guys think?

Keep it respectable, it's just a nice genuine conversation however I do feel this is something to think about and if you've read the post before responding, I'm sure you'll get what I mean :)

Anyone who makes Khabib work hard for TD is a more difficult match-up for him than those who don't. Gaethje and Gillespie are his toughest fights at 155. No one is going to beat Khabib off his back at 155.

Kryptonite might be too strong of a word. More like a bigger challenge.

I just hope he can fight one decent wrestler before he retires.

I think khabib is a beast but the division is far from cleared out. I think Gaethje is one of the more dangerous guys for him to fight stylistically. I dont think Gillespie is quite ready for khabib yet. Gregor needs more mma experience first.

Khabib's grappling is wrestling+judo+sambo+pankration
Gaethje is a D1 All-American, Tony's a NCWA champ
We'll see what happens when Khabib fights Dustin
Poirier seemed stressed at the press conference

The Kamal dude or something? Do you not feel he needs to be tested more in regards to this with the fighters he's booked with?

I do agree with you about the invincibility thing Khabib seems to have (I guess a similar thing is the kind of thing around Jones too) but honestly, I do feel the fights he's had seems to avoid these kind of opponents which I personally would like to see more of.

I'm sure Khabib will fair well but I do feel he needs to be matched with more of these type of fighters than he has been at the moment. I mean, Raging Al has a bit of a wrestling background but to have Khabib go up against Gaethje, Askren etc... would be something we'd need to see, specially when it comes to the whole knowing how to use their take down defence much more than the opponents he's currently faced (which again, you just know he's gonna get them down at some point if they don't KO him before hand).

The opponents he's faced so far don't have the strongest take down defence, so it's just a matter of time (usually pretty quickly) that Khabib causes problems and wears them out.

It's a shame that your post doesn't have 100+ likes.

Thank you for a mature/logical post and request for a decent conversation regarding MMA.

Almost UNHEARD of here on Sherdog.

i agree hes untested but justin lives on his kicks. It would only be a few minutes before he instinctively threw one and khabib grabs him. If he changed his style 100% for this fight MAYBE he could have a chance but Justin is a brawler by nature and would most likley end up on the bottom of khabib rendering his wrestling useless.

Khabib would box Askren up on the feet so that matchup doesn't really interest me. It would just be a bad kickboxing match that Khabib would win

The Gaethje fight is interesting because he's obviously a better striker and a good enough grappler to be difficult to take down, but has admitted himself he doesn't wrestle in fights because it makes him get tired. I'd probably favour Khabib but you can't count Gaethje out of any fight and I hope we get to see that at some point

Gillespie is definitely a good enough wrestler to give Khabib problems but I have questions about his striking and he's a lot smaller than Khabib which is significant in a fight likely to include a lot of grappling

Thank you for a mature/logical post and request for a decent conversation regarding MMA.

he might be new but is already one of the best posters on here. Logical, reasonable and mature. I enjoy his posts

There are 0 people in LW who can test Khabibs wrestling (except of Makhachev).

Would love to see him fight someone with high level wrestling.
Gaethje and Gillespie both fit the bill, but Gillespie might be a bit too green in MMA, and Gaethje hasn't been wrestling for years now. Use it or lose it, he may be too rusty.

Anyone who makes Khabib work hard for TD is a more difficult match-up for him than those who don't. Gaethje and Gillespie are his toughest fights at 155. No one is going to beat Khabib off his back at 155.

Kryptonite might be too strong of a word. More like a bigger challenge.

You completely get it!!! I was a little concerned in regards to the responses here but you absolutely nailed it. Yes, this exactly!!

I think khabib is a beast but the division is far from cleared out. I think Gaethje is one of the more dangerous guys for him to fight stylistically. I dont think Gillespie is quite ready for khabib yet. Gregor needs more mma experience first.

Again, you've nailed it also!! As above, you get it completely!! I agree with you about Gregor which is why I mentioned what I did in the OP as it's to a much lesser degree but on the same kind of lines if you get what I mean :)

I reckon Gregor would get annihilated if he faced Khabib at the moment but with that kind of fight Gregor could impress us more than expected is what I mean :)

Khabib's grappling is wrestling+judo+sambo+pankration
Gaethje is a D1 All-American, Tony's a NCWA champ
We'll see what happens when Khabib fights Dustin
Poirier seemed stressed at the press conference

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the fight goes. I'm looking forward to this :)

Oh wow, thank you dude!!! I appreciate that dearly, thank you!! :)

There are 0 people in LW who can test Khabibs wrestling (except of Makhachev).

How do you know? He hasn't faced them all, he's pretty much untested in this regard with a lot of the fighters. Askren would obviously have to change weight but it would be a challenge Khabib hasn't faced yet.

These other fighters he's had are the same (or similar) fights he's faced before which is nothing against them (every one of them is capable of defeating Khabib at some point) but me personally, I'd like to see him tested more this way.

Would love to see him fight someone with high level wrestling.
Gaethje and Gillespie both fit the bill, but Gillespie might be a bit too green in MMA, and Gaethje hasn't been wrestling for years now. Use it or lose it, he may be too rusty.

Yep, absolutely spot on. Completely agree in regards to Gregor but as I say, the fight in general could surprise us, it's just obviously we'd put someone else with that kind of skill in before him but yes, you absolutely get it :)

Justins wrestling may be great, we really have no idea since he never uses it. I don't think it's even close to on the same level as khabibs. I dont think he trains wrestling like he probably did when he was actually doing it. I don't see him stopping the td, and we know what happens when khabib gets his opponent on the ground. Justins tank is kinda suspect as well, and it ould be way worse using all the energy he would have to in order to defend against khabibs takedowns. I would love Justin vs conor, would be a great fight for fans. I honestly don't thiink anyone at 55 can beat khabib except khabib. As long as he stays focused and uses his best skills instead of testing his striking too much, he's a hard guy to crack. Justin has NCAA wrestling, which khabib trains with guys all the time that are better than Justin at and are bigger than Justin. Short of some flying knee miricle, khabib wins this fight the same way he wins all his fights. Justin gasses after 2 and succumbs in the 3rd.

How do you know? He hasn't faced them all, he's pretty much untested in this regard with a lot of the fighters. Askren would obviously have to change weight but it would be a challenge Khabib hasn't faced yet.

These other fighters he's had are the same (or similar) fights he's faced before which is nothing against them (every one of them is capable of defeating Khabib at some point) but me personally, I'd like to see him tested more this way.
You need to be on Olympic level to test him, how many Olympic level wrestlers do you know in LW? - 0! Askren doesn't make 155lb.

Justins wrestling may be great, we really have no idea since he never uses it. I don't think it's even close to on the same level as khabibs. I dont think he trains wrestling like he probably did when he was actually doing it. I don't see him stopping the td, and we know what happens when khabib gets his opponent on the ground. Justins tank is kinda suspect as well, and it ould be way worse using all the energy he would have to in order to defend against khabibs takedowns. I would love Justin vs conor, would be a great fight for fans. I honestly don't thiink anyone at 55 can beat khabib except khabib. As long as he stays focused and uses his best skills instead of testing his striking too much, he's a hard guy to crack. Justin has NCAA wrestling, which khabib trains with guys all the time that are better than Justin at and are bigger than Justin. Short of some flying knee miricle, khabib wins this fight the same way he wins all his fights. Justin gasses after 2 and succumbs in the 3rd.

It's not the best example because GSP is one of the best MMA wrestlers we've ever seen, but I'm reminded of GSP/Koscheck 1.

Koscheck was 'the wrestler' but he had been ignoring it for years and Georges had been in the gym everyday working on his wrestling. Come fight time GSP was able to stuff and reverse Kos' takedowns, and take down and control Kos throughout the fight.
Skills on paper don't matter, you have to keep working those skills every day or they will fade.

Back