News Justin Gaethje awaiting the 'right fight' as UFC lightweight division sorts out: Ali says

Your scenario doesn't apply to gaethje. He's not in line for a title shot. He just had his title shot and he lost. That's why, despite gaethje being free to fight, they made a title fight without him. So yes, the number two guy who just lost should fight someone ranked below him since he's obviously not fighting someone ranked a ahead of him.

Him being an alternate for the title fight doesn't mean he's next. Just like how chandler had to go and beat hooker despite the fact that chandler was the alternate for the gaethje vs khabib fight. Gaethje needs to go and beat someone, and since he's not getting a title shot, that person will be ranked below him. It doesn't matter who he beats as long as they're ranked.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-dana-white-reveals-ufc-big-plans-justin-gaethje

“He (Justin Gaethje) fits very well in all this. So, after this plays out, he’s probably next in line – depends on what happens with Dustin and Conor. I mean, you know how that is. Timing is everything when these fights happen. How much damage did the guy who won take, and what kind of personal sh** does he have going on? You know, all that stuff factors into when the next fight would be. So, I mean, Justin Gaethje couldn’t be in a better position.”

So tell me again... Why should he take a fight with #7?

This is a fact.

Personally I blame the UFC for running it like a circus and not a sport. You shouldn't be permitted to simply nest on your ranking if you're not injured.

RDA makes sense and I also like JG -vs- Makhachev.

This again is wrong. When this is what he's being told, there is zero reason for him to take a fight.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-dana-white-reveals-ufc-big-plans-justin-gaethje

“He (Justin Gaethje) fits very well in all this. So, after this plays out, he’s probably next in line – depends on what happens with Dustin and Conor. I mean, you know how that is. Timing is everything when these fights happen. How much damage did the guy who won take, and what kind of personal sh** does he have going on? You know, all that stuff factors into when the next fight would be. So, I mean, Justin Gaethje couldn’t be in a better position.”

This again is wrong. When this is what he's being told, there is zero reason for him to take a fight.

What I said, verbatim: "I blame the UFC for running it like a circus and not a sport." I'm not wrong in any sense of the word.

It is completely absurd that JG should be allowed to lose a title fight (getting dominated worse then virtually everyone Khabib had fought in the UFC) and then sit around waiting for another freebie title fight. It is common sense you should be required to actually fight to maintain your position in the rankings.

I don't blame JG for the way the UFC is run, its a mess. It is the UFC's fault.

What I said, verbatim: "I blame the UFC for running it like a circus and not a sport." I'm not wrong in any sense of the word.

It is completely absurd that JG should be allowed to lose a title fight (getting dominated worse then virtually everyone Khabib had fought in the UFC) and then sit around waiting for another freebie title fight. It is common sense you should be required to actually fight to maintain your position in the rankings.

I don't blame JG for the way the UFC is run, its a mess. It is the UFC's fault.
Well said.

And let's remember, he fought less than 6 months ago. UFC led him to believe he might be in on the title shot, so that took up most of the last 6 months. Now negotiations begin again - and not because he did anything wrong.

He's not exactly been pulling a Colby here.

Back