News Justin Gaethje awaiting the 'right fight' as UFC lightweight division sorts out: Ali says

I have nothing against Ali personally but I can't fully trust him after Ariel exposed him tbh. As far as I'm concerned all of this public negotiation should be taken with a grain of salt until there's an official fight announcement
Ariel is a suspicious MMA journalist tbh. Even Megan Olivi did geniunely disliked him.

Obvious thing that you saw from Ariel is that he often instigating fighter, asking question that will lead the fighter to posit a controversial position.

Guys like Justin waiting out for perfect fights is largely what prevents the division from sorting itself out.

I think JG is making plenty of coin lol it’s not like he’s a chronic cherry picker. dude goes out there and puts on some of the most memorable fights in the modern era. It’s not entitlement when it’s something he’s clearly earned, imo. He never said he’s waiting for a title shot he had a fight he thought he was going to get that fell through in chandler and it’s only been 6 months. He’ll be in there before a year and if any single person has earned that break it’s him. Justin deserves an elite opponent. Hopefully Conor really does duck the Dustin fight and we can see Dustin Justin 2 for the title eliminator.

Nah bro I didn't say Gaethje is cherry picking his fights. What I'm saying here is that he does not have the luxury to sit out and wait, especially when plenty others are swooping in to snatch up the opportunities available.

As a disclaimer, I'll say that I'm a fan of Gaethje too. But I'll have to disagree with your assessment about entitlement. This is not like college where if you don't skip lectures and study hard, you are guaranteed more favorable outcomes - you have earned those better grades after all. In the business world however, there is no such cause and effect. You can be the best or hardest worker in the company, but as long as you are not pulling in the numbers, you don't get to call the shots. You don't earn anything the company doesn't choose to give you.

Justin is in that position right now. He is arguably #2 after Dustin. But why isn't Dana getting on his knees begging Gaethje to fight like how he is trying to woo Khabib back? The fact is unless you are a needle-mover, the UFC couldn't care less. Khabib brought in a new demographic of rich Arab fans for the organization. Gaethje has no such drawing power. As such, he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by sitting out.

This is not like the shallow HW division where Stipe can afford to wait a year for a rematch with DC. The fight game moves fast and in unexpected ways. While Gaethje is playing hard to get, Oliveira and Chandler had impressed enough folks to be in the next title fight. If Gaethje continues to sit around, the winner of Conor v Dustin 3 will get the next shot. Also, Ferguson and RDA have been clamoring for an opportunity for ages. Gaethje still doesn't play ball, and the UFC could easily promote a "redemption story" for Tony/RDA. And Gaethje would have to wait till 2022 for a meaningful fight, let alone a title shot.

Unless you are among the top earners, or have the popularity to corner new markets, fighters need to remain active. A fighter's career is relatively short, and can end suddenly at any time from injuries or other health reasons. Fighting gatekeepers for 200-300k is still 200-300k more money you'll have sitting on your ass waiting for the right fight. Leon Edwards went down the same path back in 2019. Just like everything you said about Gaethje, Edwards has "earned" and "deserves" a good fight. Fast-forward to 2021 and he is still playing 2nd fiddle to Masvidal.

Guys like Justin waiting out for perfect fights is largely what prevents the division from sorting itself out.
Who should he fight? It looks like the division is already sorting itself out. What is he preventing from happening?

#1Poirier - #6Conor is still up in the air.
#4 Chandler - #3 Oliveira for the title
He already beat #5 Tony who is now on a two fight skid - but he's fighting #9 Dariush.
#7 RDA - this fight makes sense, kinda. He is 2-4 in his last 6. Not sure how he's in the top 10 of any division.
#8 Hooker seems like he could be retired. After the Chandler fight there was signs it was over.

Looks like the only guys in the top 10 who dont have fights are #7 RDA, #8 Hooker who might be retired, and #10 Felder who has also basically retired but said he'd come back for the right fight. He's currently #2 in the division and will either be in a #1 contender fight, or title fight next. Makes sense to let the division sort itself out.

Even with a W Conor does not deserve another TS. That would make him 2-2 in the last several years.

They start out as "any time, anywhere" badasses, but then the fame and money turn them into divas, ex. Masvidal, Gaethje, Conor, Francis

As long as he doesn’t get, or expect another TS coming off of a TS loss.

If he doesn’t want to fight I hope he doesn’t expect me to give a damn. Because I don’t. I’m tired of these divas, money fight seeking and inactive fighters. It seems way too many top fighters are acting entitled these days. That’s their right and their careers. But if they don’t fight, I just don’t care about them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hopefully it never comes if he's so
As long as he doesn’t get, or expect another TS coming off of a TS loss.

If he doesn’t want to fight I hope he doesn’t expect me to give a damn. Because I don’t. I’m tired of these divas, money fight seeking and inactive fighters. It seems way too many top fighters are acting entitled these days. That’s their right and their careers. But if they don’t fight, I just don’t care about them. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what "the right fight" means to him, definitely is counting on a shitle tot. Hopefully doesn't get it.

He'd be the logical choice to backup title fight and Conor/Dustin but he's said he wont take a fight without 12 week camp so I dont know.

I'd book him vs RDA on the Conor/Dustin card atleast so he can be prepared should he be needed.

Gaethje fights the loser of Chandler/Oliver

Winner of Ferguson/Daruish fights the loser of McGregor/Poirer

Winner of McGregor/Poirier fights Winner of Chandler/Olivera for the belt

This. 100x this.

Justin's going to be on a losing streak pretty soon. I think there are better fighters than him in top 5 top 10 and top 15.

Nah. Sounds like you're putting wayyy too much stock in the Khabib loss. No one has or can do that to him except Khabib.

Sure, Islam's wrestling is near that level, but his chin isn't. If he took the shots Gaethje hit Khabib with, he's dropping like a sack of potatoes (as he has done in the past)

Who should he fight? It looks like the division is already sorting itself out. What is he preventing from happening?

#1Poirier - #6Conor is still up in the air.
#4 Chandler - #3 Oliveira for the title
He already beat #5 Tony who is now on a two fight skid - but he's fighting #9 Dariush.
#7 RDA - this fight makes sense, kinda. He is 2-4 in his last 6. Not sure how he's in the top 10 of any division.
#8 Hooker seems like he could be retired. After the Chandler fight there was signs it was over.

Looks like the only guys in the top 10 who dont have fights are #7 RDA, #8 Hooker who might be retired, and #10 Felder who has also basically retired but said he'd come back for the right fight. He's currently #2 in the division and will either be in a #1 contender fight, or title fight next. Makes sense to let the division sort itself out.

He holds a top five ranking, by waiting on the sidelines he is preventing/haulting some movement in the top 5 by holding his spot and not putting it on the line. He should fight former LW champ, RDA. RDA is ranked 7th because he was top 5 when he left LW and he got a top 10 win in his first fight back to LW.

Is it the ideal fight? No, but it's better than having people just wait around.

Justin should have jumped all over the Chandler fight when he had the chance, now it's slim pickings.

Edit-Maybe good he didn't, Chandler would probably work him...But Justin should have taken the opportunity

He holds a top five ranking, by waiting on the sidelines he is preventing/haulting some movement in the top 5 by holding his spot and not putting it on the line. He should fight former LW champ, RDA. RDA is ranked 7th because he was top 5 when he left LW and he got a top 10 win in his first fight back to LW.

Is it the ideal fight? No, but it's better than having people just wait around.
So the #2 guy who is likely next in line for a title fight should fight someone outside the top 5 because they need a fight to get into the top 5? Why should he fight someone 5 spots back? What has RDA done to deserve a fight with the #2 guy in the division?

Also, Dana has already said Gaethje is an alternate for the Chandler - Oliveira fight. If either one of them are pulled from the fight he's getting the title shot. Gaethje taking a fight right now makes absolutely no sense. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

So the #2 guy who is likely next in line for a title fight should fight someone outside the top 5 because they need a fight to get into the top 5? Why should he fight someone 5 spots back? What has RDA done to deserve a fight with the #2 guy in the division?

Your scenario doesn't apply to gaethje. He's not in line for a title shot. He just had his title shot and he lost. That's why, despite gaethje being free to fight, they made a title fight without him. So yes, the number two guy who just lost should fight someone ranked below him since he's obviously not fighting someone ranked a ahead of him.

Him being an alternate for the title fight doesn't mean he's next. Just like how chandler had to go and beat hooker despite the fact that chandler was the alternate for the gaethje vs khabib fight. Gaethje needs to go and beat someone, and since he's not getting a title shot, that person will be ranked below him. It doesn't matter who he beats as long as they're ranked.

Last edited:
Gaethje vs RDA makes sense

It's also a stylistically favourable matchup for him
RDA is one of the best takedown artists at 155, & one the best top game grapplers as well. Gaethje is a white belt on the ground, there's a reason he's been protected from grapplers his entire career before Khabib.

No way he accepts that fight, as it's definitely NOT a favourable matchup.

He holds a top five ranking, by waiting on the sidelines he is preventing/haulting some movement in the top 5 by holding his spot and not putting it on the line.

This is a fact.

Personally I blame the UFC for running it like a circus and not a sport. You shouldn't be permitted to simply nest on your ranking if you're not injured.

RDA makes sense and I also like JG -vs- Makhachev.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back