Just watched Woodley- Marquart.

I hope Rory wins. Woodley is a tough fight for sure though.

I'm a big fan of Nate, but he is not the same off the stuff and down at 170. I thought Woodley was going to take it pretty easily, and I was happily surprised by the outright clinic that Marquardt put on. That was one of the best highlight reel KO's I've seen.

Rory will nip that wrestler hype in the bud with the pure beauty of complete and three-dimensional mma fighting.

Marquardt is a squirelly fighter. Can't ever seem quite figure him out. Looks like a worldbeater one day, absolutely terrible the next.

Lawler's performance against Hendricks made Rory's showing against him look relatively impressive. That fight was close, and even though he lost, he absorbed some nasty power, stayed in the fight, and made it incredibly competitive. I think Roryis going to out strike Woodley. He loses if he gets caught.

Rory CAN take Woodley down (Rory was able to take down Chris Weidman in sparring right before his title shot aka best Chris ever). Rory has very crafty BJJ bottom Game and is basically never controlled in a fight just like GSP. As for the standing all he has to do is avoid Woodley's right hand. Woodley definitely has a chin detector in his right hand and has vicious leg kicks but he banks on them way too much.

Marquardt did the TRT Hadoken on that Tyrones chin.

We could hear the prayers of his mother over the cheers of the infidels.

He's going to try and jab his way to victory. Woodley has really figured it all out since the Marquardt loss. He is an animal right now. Woodley wins this one and gets the title shot.

You may be right. I think if Woodley can dominate Rory we will all recognize that the the top 5 WWs should be concerned. Key word, dominate. Rory has shown he can fight with different strategies and be successful. If he's elusive/standup Rory (which most think he will be) Woodley will need to work effectively at cutting off the cage for the first two rounds. If we're surprised and get wrestler/top control Rory, this may end up a wrestling matchup and we'll see two guys simply trying to score more take-downs per round.

Either way, it's a big win for either guy and may put them directly in a shortlist of names to fight next for the strap.

I've hated Woodley since that Daley fight...I still think Daley should have been given the nod and I believe that fight shows everything wrong with the MMA judging criteria.

Anyway on topic, Woodley has improved a lot since that fight, he's got better timing now. But I still find it frustrating when people say he's a great striker...he's just yet another guy who relies on his power so much. He was getting discouraged in the Condit fight before the injury because his shots were't doing anything.

TS : Woodley lost because he went past round 2. Woodley is dangerous in the early minutes, and fades pretty fast. All those muscles take a lot of gas after all...

Rory CAN take Woodley down (Rory was able to take down Chris Weidman in sparring right before his title shot aka best Chris ever). Rory has very crafty BJJ bottom Game and is basically never controlled in a fight just like GSP. As for the standing all he has to do is avoid Woodley's right hand. Woodley definitely has a chin detector in his right hand and has vicious leg kicks but he banks on them way too much.
Maia controlled him fairly well in the first round of their fight but that said there aren't a lot of guys in the UFC, much less at WW, as good as Maia on the mat. Woodley will likely have an easier time taking Rory down but I don't think he'll accomplish much since Rory seems to have a tricky guard Woodley doesn't seem to have a particularly good top game like Maia.

He's going to try and jab his way to victory. Woodley has really figured it all out since the Marquardt loss. He is an animal right now. Woodley wins this one and gets the title shot.

Massive improvement but he didn't figure Shields out to well. Shields is a tough fight for anyone but no plan B from Tyron.

Interesting match-up and great opportunity for both guys.

Lol so many people underestimating Woodley...you guys will be in for a surprise at 174

Marquardt%252520vs%252520Woodley.gif

T-wood's mom was screaming in agony in the background for like 10 minutes straight when her son was brutally knocked out by Nathaniel Marquarts. OH MY LAWD

I have a feeling this fight looks like Macdonald-Ellenberger....

Macdonald edges him out.

I hope I am wrong though.

I think you are wrong. I see major differences between Ellenberger and Woodley that will prevent it from happening, Woodley is more diverse in the stand up, he doesn't just wing hooks, he uses his lead hand more and he kicks more, which is going to be great against a guy with such a wide stance like Rory, he also seems to be able to mix up his stand up and wrestling much better, Ellenberger seems to have trouble mixing them and just seems to do one or the other.

Woodley also has a better gas tank than Ellenberger, it's possible Rory wins but this fight won't look like MacDonald vs Ellenberger and I think Woodley is a fairly strong favorite.

TS : Woodley lost because he went past round 2. Woodley is dangerous in the early minutes, and fades pretty fast. All those muscles take a lot of gas after all...

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Are you mocking Rogan and how he assumes every muscular fighter has bad cardio?

Back