Just watched Woodley- Marquart.

LamaIronFist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just watched that fight for the first time. Great fight.

T-Wood was a bit lost at times but his signature moves where there and he did get Marquart in trouble with his power. However, Marquart knocked him out real bad with a few vicious power shots that not a whole lot of guys would have been able to absorb.

Can't wait to see the fight with Rory. Rory will need to change his tactic a bit as he likes to be right in the guys faces and back off quickly an inch or two just outside of the guys punches without getting caught. It worked well with Jake and worked for a while against Lawler. The main difference is that Lawler threw in some kicks. He eventually caught Rory with some big shots. Rory figured things out in the third but he started too late.

With T-Wood closing the distance so darn fast, Rory will have to try something else for the first part of the fight otherwise the chances that T-Wood will clip him are pretty high.

If he can survive those first assaults and find a way to hurt T-Wood early, he should be fine as I think that Rory's conditioning increased significantly since he moved from a pro-am gym (Condit-fight era) to Tristar.

Tristar will need to have a great game plan and I am sure they will.
Where T-Wood can get in trouble is if he does like Maia. He gets Rory on the ground, spend a ton of energy with only so-so results. If T-Wood gets exhausted like he was against Marquart, he will get smoked by Rory no question especially if it is a 5 rounds, which I am not sure of.

I like T-Wood quite a bit but I will root for Rory that night.

Anyone agrees that Rory's in your face approach could be a disaster? What are his options given what you know about Woodley and Rory?

He's going to try and jab his way to victory. Woodley has really figured it all out since the Marquardt loss. He is an animal right now. Woodley wins this one and gets the title shot.

Marquart knocked him out real bad with a few vicious power shots that not a whole lot of guys would have been able to absorb.

Nobody would have been able to absorb those shots. In any division.

Definitely one of the most brutal knockout I've ever seen in MMA.

He's going to try and jab his way to victory. Woodley has really figured it all out since the Marquardt loss. He is an animal right now. Woodley wins this one and gets the title shot.

I see it this way as well

I feel Woodley has trouble with clinch defense and cagework. For now that's going to be something fighters need to capitalize on with him.

Nobody would have been able to absorb those shots. In any division.

Definitely one of the most brutal knockout I've ever seen in MMA.

They would have KO'd Roy Nelson, a guy that ate 50 flush knees in the noggin from a HW Werdum?

Woodley by KO BTW.

I think Woodley is going to wrestlefuck Rory to a boring decision win. Or at least try to.

lol. Rory's timing/distance/accuracy is way too gud. Most you guys don't know shit

Woodley's gas tank sucks imo. after the first rd he slows in nearly every fight ive seen him in

yeah LOL at thinking T-wood has any chance in 3 rd or 5 rd

Rory is a better fighter, gonna tool him to a UD with relative ease

lol. Rory's timing/distance/accuracy is way too gud. Most you guys don't know shit

I have to agree that his timing/distance is what allow him (and GSP) to stand so close to some heavy hitters. They are probably among the best at that game.

However, with T-Wood's ability to close the distance so fast, it will be interesting to see Rory's approach... as I am sure many sparring partners at Tristar will most likely imitate this aspect of T-Wood's game.

That being said, T-Wood's going for broke approach leave him opened to some counters. Rory happens to be cool headed enough to make that happen.

I agree that Rory does not have the punching power of Hector Lombard but the fact that he was able to keep a super-hitter like Ellenberger at bay tells me that Rory's punch and jabs must not feel that good. Otherwise, Ellenberger would have gone for broke on him.

I have a feeling this fight looks like Macdonald-Ellenberger....

Macdonald edges him out.

I hope I am wrong though.

The way Woodley was beating on condit in that first round makes me think he does the same to Rory but Rory's chin won't hold up like Condit's

it amazing how their careers have gone completely 180 of each other twood and nate

The finish was brutal and amazing at the same time

Back