just starting judo

missinteeth

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am just starting judo first class is in a couple days what should I do to get ready for it? I have been doing bjj for two months but im not sure what judo is going to be like.

it will be like a toned down bjj class with more focus on throws, it should be fun man

kimura594 said:
it will be like a toned down bjj class with more focus on throws, it should be fun man
I dunno mate, I have a much easier time at BJJ than at Judo. I'dve said the BJJ would be toned-down, not judo.

I suppose it'll come down to the individual respective clubs. Some train harder than others so you might find the judo harder than the BJJ session or viceversa.

There is nothing you can do to get ready for it, really. Just go there with an open mind & enjoy. Dont "spaz" - or get aggro.

Make sure you warm up properly & thoroughly and RELAX during a throw. You should get taught to breakfall but they dont always teach you to relax when thrown. If you tense up in fear of the landing you are at more risk of getting hurt.

Dont become discouraged when you cant get a technique down immediately or when you get pwned by everyone during sparring. Be friendly, ask questions & respect the pecking order but dont be a wimp.

Just have fun & let us know how you go.

Be prepared to take a lot of throws each prcatice. You'll probably get banged up a lot in the beginning while your breakfall skills improve & your body gets used to it. It'd be a good idea to start working on your breakfalls now.

How hardcore it is will depend on the club. There are a lot of recreational judo clubs out there, but they still teach the same throws.

its going to be more rough..youll get dumped alot..well no you wont actually..your a newbie..depends which club..if its a competitive judo club, yea maybe youll get dumped around aha..but its good that your doing it..bjj guys lack good stand up, it will help you alot.

its going to be more rough..youll get dumped alot..well no you wont actually..your a newbie..depends which club..if its a competitive judo club, yea maybe youll get dumped around aha..but its good that your doing it..bjj guys lack good stand up , it will help you alot.

Back