Just OHP in SS?

NZ88

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I've been doing starting strength for a couple of months ago and have been making steady gains with my squat and deadlift (squatted 77.5kg today)
My OHP is severely lacking I pressed 17.5 yesterday for 2 times 5 and then dropped down to 15 and failed after 3, my bench has been going up easily (35kg today) do you guys think it would be folly to just OHP?
I feel like I could progress it faster if I just did OHP like the squat and it seems like the OHP would have more carryover to the bench being the tougher exercise,
my goals are to simply build up my strength while I'm studying and then get back into some sort of MA training

I'm a little confused here...17.5 or 15 kilos is less than the bar...(?)

sorry thats the weight on the bar, I dont actually know the weight of the bar, I just record it that way so I know if I'm making progress

Your everything is weak. Just do the program as written for 5 months and then ask the same question again.

-The bar is 20 kilograms.
-EVERYONE'S press stalls early compared to their other lifts. Don't worry about it.
-I suggest maintaining the Starting Strength program for as long as possible. Micro plates (plates <2.5 kilos) can help with this.
-When you really can't make progress on Starting Strength anymore, don't spin your wheels for too long...after months of doing the same routine, your body will respond well to just about any sensible (i.e. 5/3/1, Texas method, etc.) from SS.
-At some point, you're going to want to start push pressing. Ironically, I've made some of my best press gains on training cycles that focuses on the push press more than the press.

What i did when i was doing some 5 * 5 that I half found in the FAQ and half made up myself was this: if I raised the weight to a weight where I couldn't complete 5 * 5 I did as many as I could, recorded what I did and tried to do more next time.

So like this:
Finished 5 * 5 * 35 kgs on SOHP. MUST increase weight til next week.
Next week I did 5 + 5 + 4 + 2 + 1 with 37.5 kg.
Week after that did 5 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 3 with 37.5 kg.
Week after that finished 5 * 5 * 37.5 kg, must increase to 40.

Thing is, I only had to do this once or twice on a couple of exercises and then I would increase weight every week for a couple of months. So this would be my suggestion.

Cheers that makes sense, I was just bumming on my slow progress with my presses, fug it I'm training to get stronger not to hit any powerlifting records or nothing

Clean&Jerks for the win (if you can drop plates at your gym).

Back