Just got the Brown Belt.

Resendiz

Just glad to be able to train again.
@Brown
Reaction score
so i was out of training for a few years, money and moving out and just life. I have met quite a few people here, years ago I dont know if they still post here or not, I hardly post here now so im sure many of you guys are wondering who the hell I am. But I do remember making a thread about my blue and purple belt promotions. I was the guy who requested the User submitted techniques thread be made, its called something else now. Ive met a lot of you guys, the guys who posted here in 04 when i had the Sherdog Grappling Extravaganza. That was my first time training with blue, purple and brown belts, and to be honest, im surprised anyone showed up, but it was a great turnout, especially considering some white belt kid that was hated on here for encouraging self taught "values" was throwing the event.

I got a lot of shit from people here on sherdog when i was 18 and said that I was studying books and DVDs, cause i couldnt afford an academy at that time.

Just wanted to let you guys know, let those guys reading this that dont have a place to train for whatever reason, that reading viewing vids and drilling on your own is a great thing... to an extent. I think that drilling with friends can take you to blue belt level, but depends on the people and approach. The downside is that, if your an idiot, you can get seriously hurt. Even worse, you can learn the wrong way, and i say even worse because for the most part an injury can heal, bad habbits are almost impossible to undo.

If it wasnt for those books, vids and drilling on own (I even made a home made dummy, by following instructions online) I dont think I would be a brown right now. Yes, after a while training at an academy is a MUST, for many reasons. but dont let strangers discourage you from training just because you cant wear a gi with a patch belonging to some academy that somehow dates back to the founding fathers of BJJ.

When i stepped into a real academy i got SMASHED. even after all that training on my own, but smashed by high blues, low purple belts and up. If you train on your own, you will most definitely be a seasoned white belt.

point is that i never had any limits other than money. I see threads all the time on how you can improve fast, and all that nonsense. If you focus on yourself, and are self critical then your on the right track. If you learn from ... everywhere, then your at an advantage. Jean Jacques once told us "when i was young, if you wanted to see someones game, some techniques, you HAD to be there to witness it, or be lucky enough to view someones private video footage, now theres unlimited amounts of knowledge everywhere, anybody can look something up online and find it".

the internet is your friend, Gracie Jiu JItsu online belt promoting is not. I said you could get UP to an ok blue belt level training on your own, but that doesnt mean you can wear the belt. To wear a belt other than white you gotta train with others and be promoted by someone who has trained with you. If you have been given a belt through that Gracie Program, i suggest you gather up your biggest luggie, smear that all over that belt and return it the them immediately, because its a fraudelent belt and a disgrace to the ENTIRE martial arts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Way to go man! I remember your posts and even signed up to the Machado site for a while based on your suggestion1

Congrats!

Don't know you , but good read, congrats on the belt.

Osu!

Congratulations dude! That picture of you with JJM is badass.

Congrats bro, how old r u now if you don't mind me asking? how long did it take u to get to brown?

Congrats!

Welcome to the club. Be prepared for people telling you that Black is just around the corner. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Congrats bro, how old r u now if you don't mind me asking? how long did it take u to get to brown?

im 24, started training at jean jacques when i was 19. I have been out from Jean Jacques since later 07. went back for 3 months, then shit went downhill again. but this time im training for good. had to move back with parents, but i stopped caring about that and started accepting the truth... that living with parents RULES compared to the shithole i was in.

im 24, started training at jean jacques when i was 19. I have been out from Jean Jacques since later 07. went back for 3 months, then shit went downhill again. but this time im training for good. had to move back with parents, but i stopped caring about that and started accepting the truth... that living with parents RULES compared to the shithole i was in.

Man you got your brown belt very fast then. Seems like you have only been training 2-3 years overall if I understood you correctly.

Regardless, congrats on the huge accomplishment!

Man you got your brown belt very fast then. Seems like you have only been training 2-3 years overall if I understood you correctly.

Regardless, congrats on the huge accomplishment!

yeah 3 years feels about right, unfortunately because of my time off I cant say that I got my black in such n such years, whatever the number is, i will always have to add 3 years. people dont care to hear what time somebody was off, untimately its, when did you start training, when did you get your black. I was aiming for that BJ penn timing... crushed dreams thats for sure. but life goes on and i cant look back anymore, just gotta train and thank life for putting me in this awesome situation im in now.

yeah 3 years feels about right, unfortunately because of my time off I cant say that I got my black in such n such years, whatever the number is, i will always have to add 3 years. people dont care to hear what time somebody was off, untimately its, when did you start training, when did you get your black. I was aiming for that BJ penn timing... crushed dreams thats for sure. but life goes on and i cant look back anymore, just gotta train and thank life for putting me in this awesome situation im in now.

Dude you are 24, if you train steady you should have your BB in another year. Even if it takes longer, let's say 26. That is BADASS.

I started training BJJ when I was 29. :( My only hope is to get my BB before I turn 40.

Dude you are 24, if you train steady you should have your BB in another year. Even if it takes longer, let's say 26. That is BADASS.

I started training BJJ when I was 29. :( My only hope is to get my BB before I turn 40.

I'd like my purple before I turn 40...in about 4 years.

We'll see.

congrats TS, now you need to change your av and sig. Don't worry about your progress, you are still very young.

I'm a 40 year old blue belt so I'm just hoping I get my black belt before Alzheimer's or death beats me to it.

Congrats, man. I like hearing stories like yours. Everyone's journey is so different.

I'd like my purple before I turn 40...in about 4 years.

We'll see.

4 years should be no problem Jag. Might even sneak in a Brown in that time if you can get an extra day or two into the weekly rotation.

Nice! Just shows what hard work and the right mindset can accomplish.

4 years should be no problem Jag. Might even sneak in a Brown in that time if you can get an extra day or two into the weekly rotation.

We shall see (I already go Tuesday (two classes), Wednesday, Thursday and Friday or Saturday, no more room)....my point was less about what I want and more about how getting to black belt by 40 for you is a fairly reasonable goal and that I'd just be happy making it to purple, much less black belt, before I reach 40.

The TS is in a prime position....and congrats to him. That's what you get when you start something when you're young and you stick with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back