Just found out I've had Chronic Depression (Dysthymia) for 30 years (AMA)

Normal functioning brains are overrated. Do you think Vincent Van Gogh or Ludwig Von Beethoven didn't have depression? Take what you have and turn it to your advantage.

Fuck that. I'd rather be able to live a happy life and have my ears than leave behind some oil paintings and shit, for which I won't even see the millions they sell for.

There has been some studies that suggest higher instances of mental illness among creative people though.

Fuck that. I'd rather be able to live a happy life and have my ears than leave behind some oil paintings and shit, for which I won't even see the millions they sell for..
But what if you didn't have a choice

But what if you didn't have a choice

That's the thing, now I do. No joke though if I had continued down the road I was going I probably would have ended up like Van Gogh. I have a lot of creative pursuits too so I could totally envision myself making a bunch of cool shit and then ultimately dying miserable and sick.

I always joked with people I didn't plan my life past 30 years old. They'd laugh but I was being completely serious. Not that I wanted to die. I just never had any plans or cared enough to plan. Now I realize all that was just thoughts manifested from a sick malfunctioning brain. I very likely would have just become a recluse, posting on Mayberry for the rest of my days, eventually deciding to end my misery but leaving behind some cool paintings.

Last edited:
Which medications and therapies inparticular?

I'd ask a professional dude, as everyone is different. What works for one person with depression may not be so effective for the next from what I have gathered. Plus like @EL CORINTHIAN mentioned, it could be a something completely different that's making you feel off (hormone balance, testosterone, diet, vitamin and mineral deficiency?) If you feel it's impacting your life it may be worth it to go see a doctor and describe what you're feeling, because that thought never even crossed my mind and it might not ever have.

Due to the condition I don't really think about taking preventative measures like this on my own accord. In fact the thought of having to find a doctor, make an appointment, then go to the location and all that shit fills me with the anxiety I always thought was so normal all my life. It makes sense why I probably never would have gone to see a doc unless it was immediately life threatening.

If anything just for peace of mind because maybe they'll notice something in the feelings you describe that you or other people in your everyday life don't or can't make sense of.

Last edited:
I'm writing this so that maybe someone reading my experience might be alerted to the fact that they also suffer from this condition and think it's totally normal. Which it's not. Before you come in here thinking I was slitting my wrist every weekend and on the verge of ending it all, I'd like to state that this wasn't even close to the case.

I didn't have a fucked up childhood, I have a supportive family, I had friends, partied like any regular person but was not addicted to hard drugs or anything of that nature. I've had every opportunity to succeed, which made it all the more surprising when I finally discovered the depression. But when I finally did, everything I found odd about my personality and habits became immediately apparent. Certain traits about me that could have just been chalked up to my personality all my life started sounding an awful lot like depressive symptoms.

I was always introverted and anxious as far back as I can remember. My parents always attributed it to an introverted personality. I always thought the anxiety was natural and I learned to deal with it more as I grew older and brushed it off as me being a nervous child. But weird shit like dialing someone on the phone would make my heart race as a kid. As I went through adolescence I noticed social events would always make me apprehensive but I forced myself into situations, as getting out of your comfort zone is the best way to approach those things as we're all told. I have no problem at all striking up conversation with someone at a bar, but in retrospect, that nagging feeling of low almost silent background anxiety never left. Plus, small talk never really built into anything meaningful (now that I think of it I didn't have anything to say because I didn't care about anything) I never thought anything of it as it had been that way as long as I can remember. It was just a part of who I was, I thought.

Another major thing was that I had a feeling of apathy all throughout my life. My parents and even I thought it was just me going into the teens and then a young adult, but as this transferred over as an adult I began becoming concerned. I knew that I should care about certain "important" things, but I just couldn't bring myself to. It's not that I didn't have interests and hobbies or enjoy things. I just found myself not concerned with things people are normally excited or ecstatic about or if I did get excited it was only to a very limited extent I also didn't have the impulse to do a lot of things. Examples:

I didn't care about peoples birthdays really. I didn't care about my own birthday. All holidays were literally just another day. Weddings were an alien concept to me. I didn't care about school. People asking what university I wanted to transfer to might as well have been speaking in another language. I wanted to make more money but wouldn't/couldn't bother to get promoted at any of my dead end jobs. I didn't care about getting a better job. I couldn't care less about sports teams. I didn't care about getting a cool new car. Even MMA which I loved watching I didn't consider myself a "fan" of or really follow. Bands that I love and jam out to I've never thought to go see live. Basically everything in life was a feeling of "eh whatever". But still I just kept thinking it was just my personality. "I'm just not a school person" or "I'm not materialistic so I don't care about money" or "I just don't care about climbing corporate ladders like the rest of these people" You can see how this would eventually begin to affect someones quality of life. I knew it wasn't laziness, as I ran consistently every day for years. So I knew something was off.

Long story short, it all came to a head and I discovered that these feelings that I always thought were my personality are actually symptoms of Dysthymia, which is a low grade chronic depressive disorder that usually affects people as children or "for as long as they can remember". So these things are often attributed to kids as a result of "that's just how he is". So they and everyone around them grow up thinking it's a personality trait/character flaw but it's actually the persons brain not firing off the correctly (fuck you i'm no brain expert) which makes it so they dont have the impulse to care or feel joy.

The thing with this type of depression (Dysthymia) is that you are still able to function and even at a very high level. There's nothing to signify that the person may have depression like the stuff you normally think about when you think of someone who's "depressed". Like being unshaven/unkempt, wrist slitting, dressing in all black, not emerging from your room for months at a times. Often times the person himself doesn't even think that he has depression. Conan O' Brian suffers from depression and he argued with the doctor that he couldn't be depressed when he went for a check up. I shower, brush and floss religiously every night. I can't be depressed.

So you can imagine it's a little weird for me at this stage as I realized I was actually clinically depressed my whole life and didn't know it. A lot of people (myself included) think depression isn't a real tangible thing, which makes sense because words like "rape" and "depression" get thrown around so willy nilly. "Depression" should really just be changed to "Malfunctioning brain disorder" because that's really all it is. Your brain malfunctioning just like your lungs, heart, kidneys, whatever would.

Cliffs
- Was a super apathetic person for as long as I can remember (child to 30s)
- Chalked up to personality/character flaw by me and everyone around me
-Feelings of apathy and lack of impulse started affecting my quality of life
-Worked out almost every day and was drug free for years so laziness and drugs were not the issue
-Discovered it was due to persistent depressive disorder (Dysthymia)
-Never thought about suiciding or anything of the nature so I found it odd that I could be depressed or have depression
-Now realized I definitely have it and that it's a real thing

I have the same and it is low grade depression since I was a kid but man mine got more worst as I got older until in 2015 I suffered a severe breakdown never been normal since then. Its really difficult to hold down a job or even get one at this point and what ever I do is extra difficult because I keep forgetting things or get confused a lot.

I have the same and it is low grade depression since I was a kid but man mine got more worst as I got older until in 2015 I suffered a severe breakdown never been normal since then. Its really difficult to hold down a job or even get one at this point and what ever I do is extra difficult because I keep forgetting things or get confused a lot.

How old were you when you had the breakdown if you don't mind me asking? Also if you could go into just a bit more detail or about anything that myself and others should be aware of. If not, I'd totally understand too.

How old were you when you had the breakdown if you don't mind me asking? Also if you could go into just a bit more detail or about anything that myself and others should be aware of. If not, I'd totally understand too.

Oh I will do tell, I also think I am a bit Bi-polar.

It was 33, and have had severe depressive episodes since I turned 21 but nothing as physically and mentally debilitating.

As a kid I am always the softy would go into emotional crying spells randomly and always ponders death may it be my own or my parents but I never felt really "different" and as got older it even felt more normal as think to my self "well everyone is uniquely crazy".

But by 2002 - 2005 it just got little more worst as I cant concentrate hard enough on school because of lack of sleep and every task that I have to do seems more stressful than it is and my mental reaction if a girl rejects me is like a hundredfold worst than what some men would feel I would go into weeks or even months of mourning for a particular girl.

At that time I just thought well I am just infatuated easily but as I got older I realized its the depression and mental derangement in me that makes me cling to certain people that potentially I can establish a romantic relationship with.

This behavior really hurt my sex life and I never had a full intercourse until I was 25 believe it or not. And I think being single for a long time did made it worst.

But I carried on even after I drop out of college and found some odd jobs here and there until I got hired by a call Center and then later got hired to much more serious Job at the Travel and Business consultancy.

So in other words even though I would go into a burst of tantrums from time to time I would recover and do well because I am of the opinion that this is all just "Psychological" and as long as I condition my self to be mentally strong even If I feel like shit and down I can go to work and be happy.

That is when I started to become more Workaholic going to work during Sundays and Saturdays to increase productivity and to some degree a bit alcoholic too and I put a stop on my drinking when I realized I am also drinking during week days.

Then I got the promotion been given some task to create a new travel program for the Japanese Market held meetings and I totally enjoyed it considering I don't have a degree and have very little experience, my Boss trusted me to handle this somewhat complicated project so I am like telling my self "woah dude you are going big time now"

But then I started to feel different like there was a time I trying to make a computation of for travel expenses Hotels,Airfares etc, and it took me like 2 hours just add up all the cost its like 2 hours I am just fumbling with the keyboard and the calculator. Then what broke the camels back when I had a throat infection and sinus infection I really look like shit to the point my boss who does not liberally allow employees to take a sick leave personally approached me and told me to take like 3 weeks off!

3 weeks have passed and I still feel tired my face still hurts from the infection and I went back to work and I found out I have been making a huge mess like I book a group of 12 doctors to Australia on the wrong Airline and that I have been missing calls and emails from my favorite clients. And after roaming around the city for like a day my parents and my GF forced me to go to the doctor they literally have to drag me inside the cab.

Unfortunately the Doc seems not very helpful as he did not gave me any heads up about the possible side effects the meds Ability,Prodin and Rivotrill just made me feel worst in the first few weeks its like I am losing control of my self and just could not take it and in the middle of work day I told my boss I am really feeling sick because of my meds feeling more worried she said I can go home.

I never returned to the office since then! So its like literally I stood up and went home and did not showed up again.

After a year of medication I stopped taking them as per doctors advice I am a bit better as I no longer feel the more physical symptoms like crams severe neck and back pains or shall I say it got lessened but still occasionally I would burst into fits of rage that I have to be restrained by my relatives and almost got committed after I refuse to eat or drink for a couple of days.

Oh I will do tell, I also think I am a bit Bi-polar.

It was 33, and have had severe depressive episodes since I turned 21 but nothing as physically and mentally debilitating.

As a kid I am always the softy would go into emotional crying spells randomly and always ponders death may it be my own or my parents but I never felt really "different" and as got older it even felt more normal as think to my self "well everyone is uniquely crazy".

Bro, I would have this same thing and thought about it just the other day. I don't remember much stuff as a kid, but I do remember very clearly one night I was in the top bunk with my brother on the bottom bunk. I started thinking what I'd do if my family suddenly died and I started crying. My brother asked me what I was crying about and I told him it was nothing. It makes zero sense why that stuck with me for so long but it did. To this day I just thought that every kid had this thought, but it still doesn't explain why it stands out in my childhood memories.

Come to think of it, that was probably us reacting to or showing symptoms of depression as small children. Being we had no life experience or did not understand the world and our brains and personalities weren't fully formed. The worst thing we could imagine is if we were alone in the world. Also come to think of it, thoughts and situations that have the potential to send me into panic attacks are starting to make sense now in almost a Freudian way. My irrational trepidation of insane people and empty ghost towns.

Anyway all the best man. I completely understand that feeling of thinking all your life "i'm just unique" but in reality you just feel like a black sheep or some sort of alien being on Earth everywhere you go. Its scary because it feels like you were an imposter your whole life and you're unsure of yourself. But I believe whatever we're yearning for in those beat down souls of ours will shine through if we take the correct methods and approaches. At least there's a small light at the end of the tunnel now.

Last edited:
Back