Just for fun: List your memorable encounters with anyone famous.

Yeah those motherfuckers put in work and then some. I think they worked on Avatar too, they're definitely top tier when it comes to special effects.

They're second to none, really. It's them and Industrial Light and Magic, at the very top, in terms of quality, consistency and success.

They worked on Avatar (they're doing the sequels too), plus all the LOTR/Hobbit films (obviously), but also did a lot of digital work on The Avengers films (and I think they did a lot of the other Marvel movies), plus things like Planet of the Apes and a shitload of others.

My sister's boyfriend works there in the digital department, as a rotoscoper. Which basically means he goes through green screen footage, frame by frame, and cuts out the green, making it ready to be CGI'd. One day I asked him how work was and he said, "Fucking awful... I'm doing Thor's hair. 3D film too." Film is 24 frames per second, but 3D is double that. So for every SECOND of film, he had to rotoscope 48 frames... of Thor's goddamn hair. Fuck. That. Noise.

Apparently they often spend a few weeks rotoscoping and laying in the basic effects, only for the director to say "Nah, we're not going to use that shot." So all that work is wasted. Of course, they need to do that work for the director to be able to decide if the shot will work, but still... frustrating.

One of those Duck Dynasty guys used to come into a restaurant I worked at all of the time. He was a fucking prick asshole and I guess I was too because although I served him his food several times I never let on that I knew who he was, because I didn't really give a shit. Duck Dynasty is gay as fuck.

Was it the old guy? I watched an episode once, shit show.

They're second to none, really. It's them and Industrial Light and Magic, at the very top, in terms of quality, consistency and success.

They worked on Avatar (they're doing the sequels too), plus all the LOTR/Hobbit films (obviously), but also did a lot of digital work on The Avengers films (and I think they did a lot of the other Marvel movies), plus things like Planet of the Apes and a shitload of others.

My sister's boyfriend works there in the digital department, as a rotoscoper. Which basically means he goes through green screen footage, frame by frame, and cuts out the green, making it ready to be CGI'd. One day I asked him how work was and he said, "Fucking awful... I'm doing Thor's hair. 3D film too." Film is 24 frames per second, but 3D is double that. So for every SECOND of film, he had to rotoscope 48 frames... of Thor's goddamn hair. Fuck. That. Noise.

Apparently they often spend a few weeks rotoscoping and laying in the basic effects, only for the director to say "Nah, we're not going to use that shot." So all that work is wasted. Of course, they need to do that work for the director to be able to decide if the shot will work, but still... frustrating.

I looked it up on their site and they did work on Man of Steel, Edge of Tomorrow and Godzilla. Great visuals on all films.

And yeah I can imagine how frustrating it can be to put that much work then be told the director wants it scrapped. But fuck just imagining that, doing all that work on Thor's hair - crazy.

Was it the old guy? I watched an episode once, shit show.

I guess it was, he was old with long hair. I didn't know who he was until someone pointed it out to me the first time i saw him. His name is Cy.

I must really not know shit about that show, I thought it was nothing but old dudes on there.

I guess it was, he was old with long hair. I didn't know who he was until someone pointed it out to me the first time i saw him. His name is Cy.

I must really not know shit about that show, I thought it was nothing but old dudes on there.

Most of them were like in their mid 30s or something and there was that old guy who was their uncle.

Met the Acolytes at Steak & Shake. Both were really cool dudes.

Saw Brad Pitt at Wal-Mart. Gave him a head nod and he nodded back.

Talked to Mark Coleman at a local amateur mma event. He was very kind and absolutely massive.

Went to Mayhem last year and was standing on the edge of a mosh pit, maintaining the perimeter and helping people up. Suddenly a guy bumped into me from behind and nearly knocked me down. I turned around to confront the asshole only up see Chris Lytle standing there. I'm a huge Lytle fan and asked for a pic to which he gladly accepted. And, no, I didn't hold my fist up. Just like Coleman, Chris is huge in person.

Last edited:
I once saw Dee Snider (Lead singer of twisted sister) in an italian restaurant in NYC. He was with a group of friends and it was literally just me and my lady friend and his group in the entire restaurant. They were discussing the movie Black Swan and then I heard him say he was gonna go take a big shit. I didn't approach him or anything, not really a fan and I wouldn't have even known who he was if my lady friend didn't point it out.

When I was around twelve, I met Busta Rhymes on the street in Brooklyn. Hew was a complete douche.

I've come across a bunch of famous people since then, but I never approach them (With the exception of Jens Pulver and a couple other fighters I admire) because of the lesson I learned that day.

Saw Antonio Inoki yesterday. He flew in from Tokyo Haneda and landed in Heathrow. Dressed in a black silky suit and a red scarf, the dude carries himself like royalty. I also saw a lot of WWE wrestlers, Ian McKellen, Jonathan Ross, Dawn French and Lenny Henry, Russell Brand, Jedward, The Hoff...

I met CHL. We drank and ate shitty fried food.

Pierce Brosnan: My father is a paramedic and will sometimes do extra work on film sets as a medic. When I was 14, my dad brought me on the set of a film that Pierce was working on. I stood by the food table and saw Pierce walk by, which was pretty surreal but I didn't think I'd get the chance to say anything to him. Then a few moments later he walks over to get some coffee and makes small talk with my dad. My dad gestured towards me and said "this is my son", and Pierce shook my hand and asked me my name. I only spoke to him very briefly but he was very polite and seemed down to Earth.

Rory MacDonald: It was the morning after UFC Halifax last October. Rory was teaching a seminar nearby and my friend had paid to go. I really wanted to go as well, but I didn't have any money. I dropped my friend off and when I came back to get him he mentioned that Rory was about to leave a few minutes early to leave for the airport. Seeing as Rory is one of my favorite fighters, I thought I had to at least try to get a picture with him.

I got out of my car and waited near the entrance doors while it was raining a bit in only a t-shirt. It fucking sucked. I was there for a few minutes and began to browse on my phone until I heard the door open. I looked up and noticed Rory looking at me (I was wearing my UFC Halifax shirt from the night before haha). I raised my phone and said "Hey Rory, mind if I snap a quick pic?". He said "yeah, sure". I walked up next to him, took the picture, thanked him and said it "meant a lot" and then I left. It was very generous of him to take a few moments for me, especially because he was on his way out, so I wanted to make sure I did it fast and let him go.

Royce Gracie: When I was 17 I went to a sporting seminar that Royce was attending. I figured I could get an autograph. I arrived early and as I browsed the place I noticed Royce nearby. I was with my stepfather and I remember hitting his arm and saying "DUDE, IT'S ROYCE GRACIE!". I was star struck haha. Royce walked near us, and I was too much of a pussy to say anything so my stepfather asked if Royce could take a picture with me. Royce smiled and said it was no problem. However his manager pestered him and said he didn't have time and to leave. Royce told him in a stern tone that it would "only take a second" and to wait. I stood next to him, got the picture, and thanked him as he left.

Travis Browne: Met him when he came to UFC Halifax. He was doing an autograph signing at a Boston Pizza. He was super friendly, I shook his hand, got a picture and spoke to him for a moment. He was a really personable guy, took the time to speak to everyone.

*Edit:

Edge (wrestler): Forgot that I met Edge on a film set when I was doing background work. He walked straight up to me, introduced himself, asked my name and shook my hand. He made some small talk with me, super friendly dude but I had no idea who he was haha. It wasn't until later when I looked him up that I realized he used to be in the WWE.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's a really cool dude too.

The work that they all put in there is INSANE. I was talking to this guy who was head of several smaller departments (automation and something else like 3D scanning, IIRC) and I asked him;

Me: What kind of hours do you guys work here? On average?

Weta Guy: Well, depends whether it's busy or not. It's pretty quiet right now, so I'm doing about 14 hours.

Me: A day?!

Weta Guy: Yeah.

Me: ... Five days a week?

Weta Guy: Oh, no. Seven.

Me: Seven days a week, 14 hours a day?!

Weta Guy: When it's quiet, yeah. When it's busy I've had to pull a few 36 hour shifts. Shit gets pretty crazy.

It's the kind of place where you just have to love what you do to be able to sustain it. Luckily, everyone does. But that place is non-stop craziness. I'm a pretty tall guy (6'4") and I've got some long ass legs so can out pace pretty much anyone walking. But they all work so hard, and go so fast that I had to jog to keep up with the motherfuckers when they were walking down the hallways... of course, I was also constantly craning my neck looking at all the cool shit everywhere, which slowed me down haha.

This guy is famous? He sounds uber unknown to me......I don't think you understood the question intertoker

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Phil Collins in 1984 in New York, I had recently seen the film "against all odds" in which the theme song was of the same name performed by Collins, which, I thought was more poppy, less artsy than most of his previous work, somewhat less intellectual yet more satisfying in a much simpler way.

I was actually humming a song from 1962 whilst walking down broadway, when I caught a glimpse of Collins about to cross my path, I said "an Englishman in New York, how fitting", with that Collins came to an abrupt stop, turned slightly on his heel (brooks brothers I'm guessing) looks me straight in the eye and asks "do you know what Englishmen like to drink on a autumn day like today?" I foolishly said "tea", Collins let out a slight groan accompanied by a twitch in his right eye but recovered with a snicker and said "scotch, how about we down a few and put the world to rights?" obviously I said of course and we went to a decent (but small) tavern, and what did we talk about?

FAMINE IN ETHIOPIA, all I wanted to hear was about drugs, sex and rock and roll but Collins was passionate and abrasive in his search to help Africa.

On one side of the coin I realized Phil Collins is and always will be sincere and aware of his lyrical content as well as the impact his music can have on the public, on the other side of the coin I realized Collins could hold his drink (we must have had at least 9 j&b's, neat, no junk) and articulate most impressively.

Made me more of a fan than I was previously

I met roger waters before The Wall concert in edmonton and Cliff Branch in San Fran

Pierce Brosnan: My father is a paramedic and will sometimes do extra work on film sets as a medic. When I was 14, my dad brought me on the set of a film that Pierce was working on. I stood by the food table and saw Pierce walk by, which was pretty surreal but I didn't think I'd get the chance to say anything to him. Then a few moments later he walks over to get some coffee and makes small talk with my dad. My dad gestured towards me and said "this is my son", and Pierce shook my hand and asked me my name. I only spoke to him very briefly but he was very polite and seemed down to Earth.

He seems like a really nice guy based on anything I've heard or read.

I think I met Ben Gibbard when I was walking my dog once and his Shiba Inu played with my doge a bit while we chit-chatted. It might've been some random hipster though.

I saw Lebron recently (I was 3rd row behind Cavs bench) and I was so fucking stoned that I just kept staring at him. He finally looked my way, gave me a "wtf" expression, but I was too high to pick up on his social cue in a timely manner, so we just kept staring at eachother for another 5 or 10 seconds before he looked away confused.

I was actually humming a song from 1962 whilst walking down broadway, when I caught a glimpse of Collins about to cross my path, I said "an Englishman in New York, how fitting", with that Collins came to an abrupt stop, turned slightly on his heel (brooks brothers I'm guessing) looks me straight in the eye and asks .....

Isn't that a Sting song? Maybe that's why he responded like that?

Back