Just curious....What's the age of the oldest person traing at your academy?

pattyb

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started and I seem to be the oldest student (low 40's). Thanks

we got a couple of low 40's in my club.
But they were training other MA before

We have a couple of guys in their fifties, about 6 in their forties, a lot in their late thirties.

I'm 41. And as you can clearly see in my sig; I am still going strong...

Helio is in his mid nineties. I think it's possible to do this sport for a long time.

If you're lucky it can be like a second childhood.

Theres a 59 year old where I train and he's probably the fittest person there.

I have a guy here at my school that is 75 now, and did not even start training until he was over 70. He's also in astounding shape, and even still does competition! Bob is a 4 stripe blue belt now.

Though I recently heard an academy on eastern Long Island signed up a 91 year old man! I would say he's probably the oldest to start training.

I have a guy here at my school that is 75 now, and did not even start training until he was over 70. He's also in astounding shape, and even still does competition! Bob is a 4 stripe blue belt now.

Though I recently heard an academy on eastern Long Island signed up a 91 year old man! I would say he's probably the oldest to start training.

This is very encouraging. And here I was thinking I was maybe the oldest. LOL!

Thanks for posting your experiences guys. ;)

I'm 40. There's a 41 y/o bluebelt and and 56 y/o whitebelt in my school.

our oldest I think is mid to early fifties, but there are a fair number of fourty five plus guys there. needless to say they are all in excellent shape

40's HAHAHAHAHA! The oldest guy I train with is 65 soon to be 66. I have never tapped him (I'm 34 and not a bad grappler at all). He has been wrestling since he was in grade school and has never stopped. He has FREAKY core strength and a chip on his shoulder. He truley enjoys inflicting pain.

He reminds me of Yoda in "Attack of the Clones". He comes in hobbling and such then all of a sudden he is bouncing off the F*ckin' walls.

He is the cross-face, neck crank KING!

Heck, my instructor is 55. He is a college wrestling champ. I've never tapped him either.

I've tapped tons of guys including a 300+ lbs. undefeated pro fighter, a 189 undefeated pro fighter, a 168 lbs. pro fighter, and the only BJJ guys I've ever faced (2 blues and a purple) and I CAN NOT tap these two old S.O.B.s

I got to admit it is driving me crazy

I feel like the oldest ... does that count?

40's HAHAHAHAHA! The oldest guy I train with is 65 soon to be 66. I have never tapped him (I'm 34 and not a bad grappler at all). He has been wrestling since he was in grade school and has never stopped. He has FREAKY core strength and a chip on his shoulder. He truley enjoys inflicting pain.

is his name Todd???

Two old geezers in their late 50's early 60's both were old school judo bad asses before they switched to BJJ. Both are brown belts in BJJ and both have the grip of 600 lbs bears.

And you do not want to meet either of them on a dark street corner 'cause they are straight up old school tough guys.

Two old geezers in their late 50's early 60's both were old school judo bad asses before they switched to BJJ. Both are brown belts in BJJ and both have the grip of 600 lbs bears.

And you do not want to meet either of them on a dark street corner 'cause they are straight up old school tough guys.

I like the 600 pound bear analogy lol.

I am almost 34 and the oldest at my club, but there is another guy who is 34 there. That's about it for us.

I liked that Yoda analogy....I always come hobbling in, get stretched out, knee wrapped up, then it's time to go. Though my coach uses the Terminator analogy....he refers to me as the T800 and our pro fighter buddy who looks like a younger version of me as the T1000.

Early 30 something... We've had guys that were 50+ come to our classes, but they lasted 2+3 classes before they dropped out....

Funniest part is that our most senior member are women... Rock on ladies!

Blue belt in our gym is around mid 60's , and he is as strong as an ox. He was in the judo national team before, and he coached for them too.

When he grips you, you can feel his hand strenght and grip is just something else.

Back