Just a reminder that the future credibility of boxing is at stake when AJ fights Ngannou

Joshua's win over Takam was a premature stoppage. The only fighter to actually KO Takam in his prime was Povetkin in 2014. The rest of them only managed to stop (TKO) him after he was past prime.

Del boy wrecked him! He was past his prime but as a chisora fan I fuckin loved that fight. 5/6 rounds of getting beaten up, and it’s flipped on its head and over with 2 right hand counters! Iirc both knock downs were almost identical

I believe your average person who watches boxing already believes MMA fighters are better fighters than boxers and the only people who care have become personally invested in boxings superiority. But boxing doesn't need to be "credible" to survive. Its a sport where people punch each other in the face. People don't watch it because it is quote on quote "credible". They watch it because they enjoy watching people hit each other.

Boxings been around a long time and it has developed a very aristocratic culture where they've convinced themselves of their own superiority. But no one outside that bubble actually believed that shit.

I believe your average person who watches boxing already believes MMA fighters are better fighters than boxers and the only people who care have become personally invested in boxings superiority. But boxing doesn't need to be "credible" to survive. Its a sport where people punch each other in the face. People don't watch it because it is quote on quote "credible". They watch it because they enjoy watching people hit each other.

Boxings been around a long time and it has developed a very aristocratic culture where they've convinced themselves of their own superiority. But no one outside that bubble actually believed that shit.
This is true but then you are not disputing the fact that the credibility of boxing gets wrecked with a Joshua loss. You are just saying it doesn't need credibility to survive.

This may be true to an extent what with Jake Pauls success but then boxers should at least be considered by far the the best with hands, if the top guys at HW are getting their asses beat in straight boxing by MMA fighters then it essentially becomes a journeyman sport.

This is true but then you are not disputing the fact that the credibility of boxing gets wrecked with a Joshua loss. You are just saying it doesn't need credibility to survive.

This may be true to an extent what with Jake Pauls success but then boxers should at least be considered by far the the best with hands, if the top guys at HW are getting their asses beat in straight boxing by MMA fighters then it essentially becomes a journeyman sport.

I mean look at MMA fans and how they treat MMA fighters who aren't boxing most of the time. Boxing didn't become the most popular combat sport because it was superior it became that because people enjoyed watching it. Boxing had grappling in the beginning. People didnt like it. So away it went.

Like do you think people who buy boxing PPVs are going to be like "well fuck this boxers can't beat MMA fighters I'm going to quit watching this?". I think people that switched to MMA did so because it was easier to follow and the cards have more than 1 good fight. You're a 2002 join date you've been around the sport from the beginning what do you think?

I mean look at MMA fans and how they treat MMA fighters who aren't boxing most of the time. Boxing didn't become the most popular combat sport because it was superior it became that because people enjoyed watching it. Boxing had grappling in the beginning. People didnt like it. So away it went.

Like do you think people who buy boxing PPVs are going to be like "well fuck this boxers can't beat MMA fighters I'm going to quit watching this?". I think people that switched to MMA did so because it was easier to follow and the cards have more than 1 good fight. You're a 2002 join date you've been around the sport from the beginning what do you think?
I think stuff like this has always meant more to MMA fans than it does boxing fans. Most boxing fans I know were always annoyed by the comparison. You're saying a lot of things that may seem true to you as an mma fans that simply aren't, the "1 good fight" comment in particular. Boxing PPVs usually have at least 4 fights and generally have significant fights, title matches or eliminators. This card for example, has Zhang vs Joyce. Thats a pretty significant fight, more meaningful than the main event, arguably.
You're confused because boxing promotes the star and MMA promotes the promotion. You don't buy an UFC card for the undercard fights. The "the whole card is stacked!!" nonsense is just so the promoters can avoid paying anyone star money just as on the other hand boxing promotes one fight to avoid paying the undercard guys big money.

edit- said Joyce, meant Parker.

I think stuff like this has always meant more to MMA fans than it does boxing fans. Most boxing fans I know were always annoyed by the comparison. You're saying a lot of things that may seem true to you as an mma fans that simply aren't, the "1 good fight" comment in particular. Boxing PPVs usually have at least 4 fights and generally have significant fights, title matches or eliminators. This card for example, has Zhang vs Joyce. Thats a pretty significant fight, more meaningful than the main event, arguably.
You're confused because boxing promotes the star and MMA promotes the promotion. You don't buy an UFC card for the undercard fights. The "the whole card is stacked!!" nonsense is just so the promoters can avoid paying anyone star money just as on the other hand boxing promotes one fight to avoid paying the undercard guys big money.

edit- said Joyce, meant Parker.

2 things can be true. Youre right about the UFCs motive for having stacked cards their whole thing is interchangibility over stars. That doesn't mean they are lying. Especially earlier on when people were actually switching from boxing to MMA. In 2024 I don't think thats really a thing at this point the 2 sports are used to each other existing. But lets say in 2005-2010 that was very much a real thing. And yeah all the problems that would have led to someone leaving boxing for MMA are slowly becoming more and more present in MMA. MMA cards are slowly becoming less stacked though they are still deeper.

Yeah here I was looking at the Joyce v Zhang card looking for meaning. And also the Saudis are doing this whole thing with stacked cards the last few months. That has not really been the norm. Not that every major boxing PPV doesn't have a good 2nd fight some do but typically in boxing its 1 quality fight and thats it.

Another bit about the stacked cards is boxing fans care signifigantly more about HW than any other division whereas MMA fans interest is more evenly divided. Making stacking cards easier for MMA to accomplish.

Dude, you’ve stated several times you never watched boxing because it wasn’t real fighting like Wing Chun, yet every time an influencer or MMA fighter has a boxing fight, you come here to make a thread like this.

I’m more concerned about your mental health than about the future of boxing at this point.
<{you!}>

It wont mean jackshit. Ngannou wanted to be a boxer, trained like a boxer, he fights like a boxer and its HW.

Ima say it again: I like the chances of other punchers against Fury and Joshua.

Fury - hes a joke, inside and outside the ring and Fury "the mighty boxer" (lol) hasnt been there for years.

Joshua - hes too smart for combat sports since he does know what it does to him and having a family makes it worse. And he isnt a natural born fighter. Many things can be teached like heart but some things like agression and other stuff that you are born with cant.

UK boys may not like it but Joshua is just a smart and athletic guy. He aint a fighter.

Another bit about the stacked cards is boxing fans care signifigantly more about HW than any other division whereas MMA fans interest is more evenly divided. Making stacking cards easier for MMA to accomplish.
This seems backwards to me. Boxing fans watch guys weighing 112 pounds fight and even less while MMA fans scoff at guys weighing 125 pounds and call the manlets.

This seems backwards to me. Boxing fans watch guys weighing 112 pounds fight and even less while MMA fans scoff at guys weighing 125 pounds and call the manlets.

This is true what happened to 125 was horrible. But this only applies to the smallest division. MMA fans treat the penulitmate division and up with more respect etc. Like look at 135. Back in the day when 135 was the smallest division they couldn't draw flys.

"If I wanted to see little kids getting beat up, I'd go over to Brett Rogers' house"

-Sean McCorkle

@ferrisjso
@TheMaster

Where'd these two fuck bags go.
Hahahaha
Go scrape Ngannous ass out of our ring and cart him back to your inferior land of cages and Reebox panties.

boxings credibility is intact.
but honestly the only good fights were AJ vs Ngannou and moments of Zhang vs Parker and Ball vs Vargas. the rest that i saw absolutely sucked. the pacing was abysmal too, so much talking in between.
Day of Reckoning was a much better show overall.

boxings credibility is intact.
but honestly the only good fights were AJ vs Ngannou and moments of Zhang vs Parker and Ball vs Vargas. the rest that i saw absolutely sucked. the pacing was abysmal too, so much talking in between.
Day of Reckoning was a much better show overall.
Yeah this show was pretty shitty. Zhang vs Parker was a very boring fight apart from that pair of knockdowns the former had. I thought Ball should've won but that first knockdown shouldn't have counted. Then the main event was a complete blowout. Day of Reckoning was way better.

I thought Ball should've won but that first knockdown shouldn't have counted.
Even if that first knockdown didn't count, they should have been looking at taking a point away for Vargas repeatedly dropping to his knees and falling over.

Then again, Ball's judo toss was pretty questionable too.

Thats a nice way of framing it but it's potentially extremely damaging.
Mike Tyson went from being "the baddest man on the planet" and considered the most dangerous unarmed man alive, before MMA got popular. Now we have an MMA guy crossing over and possibly whooping the elite of boxing in the one area of combat they are supposed to be superior at, in their own rules and conditions. It maybe doesnt come across so bad now because of how far boxing has already fallen in the public mind regarding combat in general, but since I remember the pedastal it was held to its clear to me how risky this is to the entire business.

Nope, never said anything like that since I have watched boxing since I was a kid. Its not a complete version of a fight but its still good in its element. My defending Wing Chun has never had any bearing on me being able to appreciate and watch boxing.
Well you can rest easy now because he got knocked the fuck out

Boxing is safe... FOR NOW

Back